Fda Report On Diamond Facility

Guest WhiteWave

I read that Diamond has 3 US plants: SC, MO, and CA. Our local Costco has restocked Nature's Domain from one of the other plants not involved in the recall (not sure which one). Anyone know if all the plants been inspected or just the SC plant? I'm wondering if there is any reason to believe sanitation is better at the other two plants?

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest KennelMom

I just wanted to add that regardless of the food you feed your pets, you should always wash your hands after handling kibble.

Recalls like this (and the one that affected dozens of other brands a number of years back) is why I switched to Flint River Ranch. (http://frrco.com) Family owned and operated with a single plant, locally-sourced ingredients, and meeting human-grade quality and production requirements. I personally feed Fish & Chips (trout and sweet potato). Fromm is another family-owned business similar to flint river ranch.

~Amanda

Hey Dee!! Both of mine got sick (TOTW venison). Not eating for 4 days and the big D. Took them to vet and she put Da Vid on Panacur and both of them on Science Diet ID. They are both almost 100% back. Guess we will stay on Science Diet. Trupanion pays 50% of the dog food bill.

I'm wondering if, and how often, FDA does routine inspections of food manufacturers? I agree that the problems found at the Diamond plant are concerning, and I'll be watching to see how they respond. However, for those who decide to switch to other foods, how do you know that the manufacturing facilities for other companies are any better?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I've had really good results with ProPlan Selects salmon and brown rice. It's a good formula - no corn, no wheat, no gluten, no atrifical colors or flavors. I've even fed it to fosters with no transition and no problems. Selects are, to some extent, the Rodney Dangerfield of kibbles. I haven't heard of any recent recalls for the Purina brands.

Purina has had a couple of very limited recalls in recent years - I think they were single lots each of dog, cat and horse chow. I'm feeding Pro Plan Selects now as that is what Buddy came with and he hates Iams. Also like the Purina One Beyond Chicken and Oatmeal but didn't do my homework on calories and Buddy gained weight on it.

When you consider that the company has been around 118 years and makes a MASSIVE quantity of food not only for dogs and cats but also horses, monkeys etc. that is quite a track record. Some of their products are not so great (though when times were tough all mine ate Dog Chow and did fine) and some of the Pro Plan and Purina One products are actually very good.

I'm still a huge fan of Iams for sensitive tummies but like Pro Plan and One too. I've said lots of times that it is interesting that the true dog men and women of the world almost always feed Purina products. If your dog raced previous to 3 years ago odds are good s/he ate Purina Hi-Pro. My friends father that breeds high end gun dogs won't feed anything but Purina. Somehow the people that make their living off their dogs aren't privy to the secret world of high end dog food. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I'm wondering if, and how often, FDA does routine inspections of food manufacturers? I agree that the problems found at the Diamond plant are concerning, and I'll be watching to see how they respond. However, for those who decide to switch to other foods, how do you know that the manufacturing facilities for other companies are any better?

I'm wondering the same thing. Our dogs are eating Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. We tried several brands before this, but this one worked best for them. None of our bags were on the recall list. We haven't had any problems either. Yes, this report is disturbing, but I'm not sure if other companies are better or if they just haven't been caught yet. I'm not sure yet what we'll do once we get through our existing 1.5 bags of Diamond.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

People don't know about the other facilities. They're making the decision based on the evidence we DO know about Diamond. If you can read that report and continue to trust Diamond manufacturing, I find that more concerning than trusting a different company who has yet to have any report published about them...

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Isn't just the current report. The report from the aflatoxin problem is pretty astonishing as well. Nothing like not doing QC, ignoring QC results, falsifying QC .... Yowza.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yet another recall (Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Lamb and Rice) and according to the comments on the Truth About Pet Food site, this product came from the Missouri plant in August 2011. I guess this answers the question about whether or not sanitation is any better in Diamond's other facilities. :(

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/diamond-another-dog-food-recall/

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/another-diamond-product-recalled.html

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Sportingfields

This is the most up to date list I've found for all cat & dog, horse & reptile foods recalls since the huge outbreak in 2007. Scroll the list for whatever brand of you food that you feed. Please, keep in mind, just because your food isn't on this list today, doesn't mean it may not be there tomorrow! Know the symptons for samonella poisoning and if you or your pet experiences them, then follow protocols to have your animal, the food and/or yourself tested. With detailed info of illness, you can then contact the manufacturer. Lot's of folks still don't know about the recalls last month, so please continue to share this info. with all your animal loving friends.

http://www.accessdat...petfoodrecalls/

Edited by CottageHoundDesigns

Guest BrianRke

I switched all of mine to Fromm's and they are doing great on it! They have never had a recall in over 100 years in business.

FYI: Although I feed raw to my hounds I feed Solid Gold to my mix farm dog. Since Solid Gold was also recalled I contacted them. They have apparently stopped all production by ANY Diamond facility. Here is what they emailed me: " MMillennia is made at Crosswinds Pet Foods in Kansas. Hund-N-Flocken was made at the Diamond Missouri plant, but Crosswinds is going to be making it from now on. I think they are actually supposed to run their first batch today."

Edited by racindog

Acting on MarcR's suggestion, I fed Polly some ProPlan Select Salmon & Rice, which she relished, especially after her fast, and has been doing well on since last week. We have a new food. Thanks, Marc!

Terry

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Acting on MarcR's suggestion, I fed Polly some ProPlan Select Salmon & Rice, which she relished, especially after her fast, and has been doing well on since last week. We have a new food. Thanks, Marc!

Terry

You're welcome. I'm glad Polly likes it and is doing well on it.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I've had really good results with ProPlan Selects salmon and brown rice. It's a good formula - no corn, no wheat, no gluten, no atrifical colors or flavors. I've even fed it to fosters with no transition and no problems. Selects are, to some extent, the Rodney Dangerfield of kibbles. I haven't heard of any recent recalls for the Purina brands.

Purina has had a couple of very limited recalls in recent years - I think they were single lots each of dog, cat and horse chow. I'm feeding Pro Plan Selects now as that is what Buddy came with and he hates Iams. Also like the Purina One Beyond Chicken and Oatmeal but didn't do my homework on calories and Buddy gained weight on it.

When you consider that the company has been around 118 years and makes a MASSIVE quantity of food not only for dogs and cats but also horses, monkeys etc. that is quite a track record. Some of their products are not so great (though when times were tough all mine ate Dog Chow and did fine) and some of the Pro Plan and Purina One products are actually very good.

I'm still a huge fan of Iams for sensitive tummies but like Pro Plan and One too. I've said lots of times that it is interesting that the true dog men and women of the world almost always feed Purina products. If your dog raced previous to 3 years ago odds are good s/he ate Purina Hi-Pro. My friends father that breeds high end gun dogs won't feed anything but Purina. Somehow the people that make their living off their dogs aren't privy to the secret world of high end dog food. :dunno

Yup. We raised a very beautiful show dog on Puppy Chow and Dog Chow, and also a litter of his pups. They were all healthy and gorgeous. And he also hunted with my Dad, when he wasn't being shown or being a fine pet!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Speaking of Purina and recalls, they just voluntarily recalled a single batch of cat food for low thiamine (B1) levels.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest bett

i think diamond may be feting up. i finally, after appearing on the news, and umpteen emails and calls, got a return email from their vet, who i originally spoke with.she wants copies of my invoices for all 3 dogs and a letter from my vet.

fingers and paws crossed.

Guest bett

going back to the vet with rex tomorrow for more bloods to check his liver levels as they were off during this diamond episode. i told him that i need a letter and everything faxed and that they said they called the office in april to get the records but since he was out, no one would send the records. he said "liars. not true. they never called. everyone at the desk knew we were waiting to hear from them"

liars?

hmmm.