Question About Raw & Spoiled Meat

Guest Roadtripper

Guest Roadtripper

Hi, I bought some chicken quarters last weekend at a local ethnic market to feed to my pups (just trying things out before committing to feeding raw). When I pulled out the last ones today, they definitely smelled "off", even though the sell-by date was just yesterday. Can dogs tolerate meat that's past it's prime?

This meat smelled strongly enough that I think I won't take chances & will toss it, but just wanted to hear all of your opinions. Guess I'll need to freeze anything I'm not going to use within a day or so. I don't buy much meat for myself so I thought it would keep longer just being refrigerated.

In case it's helpful to know, one of my dogs is a 7 1/2 month grey puppy (the other is an older grey mix).

Thanks!

Amy

ETA: Are there tips (aside from freezing, of course) to make meat last longer? I had kept the chicken quarters in the original packaging in the fridge--did this contribute to them going bad faster? (Sorry for the probably dumb questions--I took metal shop in high school when all the other girls took home ec.).

Edited by Roadtripper

If it smells really bad, we don't feed it either (gets tossed). That said, we have yet to see a problem in our pups because meat was 'on the cusp' or even had a 'moderate' smell. It's meat, aftrerall.

We freeze / thaw like most people do.

I've had some where the best before date seems exaggerated too.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I would not feed food that smelled 'off' to my dogs.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Twogreythounds

I've been feeding raw for almost 2 years now. I've never had meat go bad that quickly but its hard to say why this did Could be bad storage in store or their supplier. I usually package my guys food in 3 or 4 day amounts then defrost and serve (makes life easier to plan ahead).

I know some people will feed "off" meat if their dog eats it but I'm not that brave or that risky with my guys health. If I won't eat it then I don't serve it to them!

Good Luck, my guys are doing greyt on raw and I won't go back!

Guest Roadtripper

Thanks--it's tossed.

I bought the chicken last Friday night, so it has been a few days, but I still thought I had more time because of the sell-by date.

The market I went to has super cheap prices, but I think freshness is compromised. I'll just have to be more careful. The one thing that holds me back from switching to raw completely is that I'm afraid I'll waste food & money. I tend to be forgetful, too.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DragonflyDM

I get the 10 quarter chickens from the store. Many of them are frozen and so you are never sure if they were refrozen and how fast they were frozen (the faster the freeze the smaller the water particles and less meat damage, which results in both less spoilage and slower spoliage). It is not uncommon for me to have that last one or two legs that the sulfurish rotten egg smell. That is the start of turn-- but apparently not spoiled chicken. I have fed it on occasion after a very good washing, and occasional cooking (kill off the little micro nasties).

But like most people, I usually chuck the chicken.

If you are getting your chicken from the butcher and not a package it has probably not been frozen and will spoil quicker. Buy less of it.

Also be aware that when you freeze food, it can take hours if not a full day. When that freezes so slowly it damages the flesh and makes it rot quicker or ruins it in the dethawing (ever have the odd taste to meat that has been in the freezer too long?)

How about meat that's been buried, dug up, then eaten? Wendy likes to save her raw meat for "later". We've never had an issue, but I'd sure like for you guys to share your thoughts.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

How about meat that's been buried, dug up, then eaten? Wendy likes to save her raw meat for "later". We've never had an issue, but I'd sure like for you guys to share your thoughts.

According to Juliette de Bairacli Levy, http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Herbal-Handbook-Dog/dp/0571161154/ref=la_B001KIVI1G_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339079706&sr=1-3 that's normal dog behavior. Heh, even normal human behavior (it's a really interesting book :lol ). Wendy can obviously handle it just like my guys can handle pretty rank meat from the fridge once in a while. I didn't start out feeding it but one day that's what was thawed. The dogs went crazy for it & had zero problems. I never advocate it for new raw feeders or non-raw feeders, but if your dog has a healthy & experienced gut, I don't worry. I do worry about them drinking from standing water though...avoid giardia! :!!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BrianRke

I've been to some countries where rancid meat is a delicacy. I dont think my Western stomach could handle it though :puke

Guest june

I've been considering giving mine an occasional raw, partly frozen chicken leg or turkey neck for a treat in the yard this summer when the weather is hot. One of mine is missing several teeth. Any suggestions?

You could start with a smaller bone, like a chicken back & see how they do. Missing a few teeth shouldn't be a problem but if you start smaller, they can work on their technique & build up their jaw strength.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I would have fed it to my dogs... but that's just me. I used to get ALL the "past sell by date" meat from one of my local stores years ago. They saved it for me in a big pile every morning. And anything we don't eat that goes bad, we give to the dogs. Nothing moldy or anything of course. Dogs are garbage disposals ;) Never had any issues, but my dogs have tough guts.

Guest june

You could start with a smaller bone, like a chicken back & see how they do. Missing a few teeth shouldn't be a problem but if you start smaller, they can work on their technique & build up their jaw strength.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping they enjoy them.

I concur with FastDogsOwnMe - I would have fed it to my dogs too. They don't have the same delicate gut (when it comes to bacteria) we have - their wild forebears eat carrion and god knows mine have eaten godknowswhat in the alley before I could get it out their mouths. Have not had any problems.

One thing I'd suggest - is taking chicken out of the store packaging, rinsing it, and putting it in a ziplock bag as soon as you get it home. The "pad" under the meat gets funky quick.

I'll feed my dogs meat that smells "not quite perfect but is probably ok". If you jerk your nose back from the stink - probably no.

Getting it out of the store packaging will probably give you a couple extra days.

I would have fed it to my dogs... but that's just me. I used to get ALL the "past sell by date" meat from one of my local stores years ago. They saved it for me in a big pile every morning. And anything we don't eat that goes bad, we give to the dogs. Nothing moldy or anything of course. Dogs are garbage disposals ;) Never had any issues, but my dogs have tough guts.

:nod a group of us do that, too. My raw meat bill has been cut in half as a result. I mix it with green tripe and an organ blend from a local natural butcher.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest RaznNik

Once I had questionable meat - I thought it smelled bad, but really wasn't sure. They wouldn't eat it - so I say they know! It was duck wings, which I understand don't keep as well as chicken.

I would have fed it. I once had to feed through an entire case of chicken quarters that smelled raunchy (and got slimy) because that was what my meat guy gave me (he would have taken them back, but I had already rebagged the entire 40+ lbs into ziplocs and frozen them). He actually has a client whose dogs will only eat the chicken if it's in that state. My meat guy now knows not to give them to me though - it wasn't so much me worrying about the dogs as I know they can handle less fresh meat, but I hated dealing with the smell.

Anyway, my dogs lived, for what that's worth. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My rule of thumb, when in doubt throw it out. We had to throw out hundreds of dollars of raw earlier in the month when our garage refrig went south and it was fully loaded.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I find the chicken quarters sometimes smell kind of funky even before their due date. I personally have always fed these without a problem.

Also, if I have meat that is a bit off that I don't want to feed raw, I often cook it or boil it in water because I hate wasting meat. The pups can eat it cooked (plus if I boil it in water they have a broth as well that I can pour over kibble or other food). Obviously if the meat was really off I would throw it out, even though I know my dogs have at times dug up old meat and eaten it with no problems whatsoever. Yuck!

• 2 months later...
Guest snoopycomehome

Mine love raw chicken, but they never eat it when I first put it out. They prefer it somewhat stinky, after it has been sitting outside in the sun all day. :sick

Guest LindsaySF

Dogs have a lower stomach pH than people do so they can tolerate higher bacterial loads than people can. BUT dogs can and DO get sick from bacterial infections. If it smells bad, toss it. Is it really worth risking your dogs' health?

Guest bernadette

So what would be a good choice for a raw treat- an introduction? I have no plans to go all raw, but treats would be nice. I think someone suggested to me turkey necks.. Whole ones?