Penny And Her Kidneys

Guest BradyzMommy

Guest BradyzMommy

Penny started having incontinence issues a few days ago so we immediately took her to the vet hoping that it was s simple UTI. The tests came back negative for an infection, but indicated that there is possibly something wrong with her kidney function. We are having additional tests done today to rule out kidney stones and any other really bad stuff. Please keep my spooky girl in your thoughts. Thanks.

DSC04695.jpg

Oh sweetie. Fingers toes and paws crossed here!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

:goodluck

Hope that it's not serious and can be treated/managed successfully.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest tricolorhounds

Good thoughts coming for Ms Penny.

That's how we found out about Coppers kidney issues. Thought it was a UTI. Blood test showed protein in his urine... We did ultrasound and found idiopathic kidney disease and a heart murmur. He took Benazepril to lower the blood pressure in the kidneys.

Guest BradyzMommy

They are doing x-rays, bloodwork, and culture today. We are switching her food to Hills (?). We also have a problem trying to get her to drink enough water. Ugh. Penny is our "problem" child. :)

Guest tricolorhounds

They are doing x-rays, bloodwork, and culture today. We are switching her food to Hills (?). We also have a problem trying to get her to drink enough water. Ugh. Penny is our "problem" child. :)

Copper actually liked the Hills K/D

Edited by tricolorhounds

If she rejects the Hill's, you can try the Royal Canin Renal. It comes in Medium Protein or Low, and we've done well with the Medium. Prayers for you and your pretty Penny!

ETA: Our vet doesn't carry it, but we got a script to use at another vet who does.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I find this a bit odd- usually with renal disease ( not pln) you would see an increase in water consumption. What were the renal enzyme values? Do you know the specific gravity of the urine? And finally, is your vet aware of the "norms" in Ghs and how Ghs differ from breeds?

Edited to add-- Penny is beautiful!

Edited by tbhounds

If she likes the kibble try adding water to it when you feed her.

Guest BradyzMommy

We are still waiting on bloowork and a culture on her urine (and maybe another test). I was so stressed last night....didnt sleep well. The x-ray didnt show any stones in her kidneys so thats good. Our vets is trying to rule out everything is could possibly be. His is grey savvy and is aware of the differences between GH's and other breeds. I am so worried about my baby girl.

043.jpg

she is lovely!

sending many prayers for Penny! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sending prayers and good thoughts for pretty Penny.

I have another one who loves the Hills K/D. Especially the canned. I now add water to the kibble to be sure she is getting more. She's always been a good drinker but I like to be doubly sure.

She is beautiful.

This link has so much information it can be overwhelming, but I've found it helpful for explanations, links to current research, and home diet ideas: Dogaware kidney

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Good thoughts for Penny.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest BradyzMommy

I am hoping to get the final results from all of the tests, including bloodwork. In the meantime, Penny is really enjoying the change in her food. We are now feeding her Royal Canin and she loves it! :)

Guest BradyzMommy

It looks like the problem is her thyroid. We are keeping her on the new diet, upping her thyroid meds and re-checking in a month. Thank you for all of the good thoughts and suggestions!

I'm confused too... I thought the original concern was her kidneys. Did the bloodwork rule that out? Was her new diet a prescription food for kidney disease, or just a different over-the-counter food?

It also sounds like she's already been on thyroid supplement (since you mentioned "upping her thyroid meds")? Was she originally diagnosed with a full thyroid panel, and what clinical signs of hypothyroidism was she showing?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Confused here- her thyroid value is responsible for her incontinence??

I'm not sure if it would be the same for canines, but hyperthyroidism is one of the contributing causes of urge incontinence in women. If this is the case though it would seem that increasing the dosage of thyroid meds, thereby pushing him to a more hyperthyroid level would exacerbate the incontinence issue.

Thought of this after I posted. If she was incorrectly diagnosed as hypothyroid putting her on thyroid supplementation would have driven her to hyperthyroidism which could have possibly led to the incontinence.

Edited by 4My2Greys