The Midnight Snack

Guest lfreem2

Guest lfreem2

Last week Ellie was highly unsettled in the early morning (3AM). I could hear her belly gurgling and screaming high pitched wails. She gets her dinner around 5PM, so I checked GreyTalk and discovered that this could be an empty belly issue. Sure enough, I gave her a handful of food and the belly churning instantly stopped.

Last night, I did not do her midnight snack since that incident, and again at 4AM I was up walking her and then tossed some food and a Gas-ex tab in her bowl and her belly was again instantly quiet.

Does anyone else have this issue where their Grey had to get a midnight snack or else they experience, shall we say, interesting belly matters?

Edited by lfreem2

I split my houndies evening meal in two.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest lfreem2

Hubby does a 5:30 AM feeding. I give her a 12 noon lunch of just a handful of kibble and then her 5PM dinner. I then added the midnight snack....

I have one whose belly growls so loud that it wakes me up! She won't eat, so I give her a pepcid as soon as I hear it. Sometimes then she can eat breakfast a few hours later, sometimes not. :)

When Phantom's belly would growl, I kept crackers in the bedroom and he'd eat a couple of those and it would stop and he and I would both go back to sleep! Gosh, I miss that boy. :(

I always give my houndies some kind of snack before bed. It is usually a donut, a large milk bone, some mushies, a cookie-something like that. Some of them preferred a couple ounces of milk instead of solids.Just seems to have been a beneficial practice and I have been doing it for years.

I always give my houndies some kind of snack before bed. It is usually a donut, a large milk bone, some mushies, a cookie-something like that. Some of them preferred a couple ounces of milk instead of solids.Just seems to have been a beneficial practice and I have been doing it for years.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Buddy just told me that he wants to move to your house....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Buddy just told me that he wants to move to your house....

And I wondered why all the loose dogs in the state migrate to my house! Now I know why-they've been talkin' to my dogs!

Edited by racindog

Guest avadogner

We give Augie 3 giant sized bone treats at midnight. He will wake me up if I fall asleep early. I'm a nightowl so it isn't a problem. I don't know if it's his extra large size (92 lbs) or just he is a nightowl too. My incredibly missed angel Ava always got frisky playing at 3 a.m. I used to work the 3-11 p.m. and 3p-3a.m. shift in the NICU the first 5 yrs we had Ava. So he may gets whiney because he's hungry or because Ava always got frisky then.

How many times per day is she fed? Are you sure she's getting enough? Just thowing out ideas.

I feed at approximately 6:30 am and 6:30 pm. It's seemed to work fine for all the dogs that have tromped through here. I see no reason for well nourished dogs, on a reasonable feeding schedule, to be fed in the middle of the night.

So all you guys with the doggies that get bedtime snacks and middle of the night food - warn them that they don't want to come visit THIS mean ole lady! :P:lol

Now... if your dog happened to have a restless night, or a tummy trouble that night - and got fed - um.... dogs are smart and who WOULDN'T want an extra something if they can get it - and you 'may' have just created a bit of a beggar. "Hmmm.... If I act goofy in the night - somebody will give me food because that worked last time!" :blush

Depending on your morning feeding time - you might want to push night feeding back closer to bedtime, or go to 3 smaller meals per day, spread out more.

Edited by sobesmom

millie leaves some of her evening meal kibble in the bowl for that 3am snack attack. i can usually hear her get up, walk around, check to see i'm still in bed, then she goes into the kitchen & crunches her snack. she then spends 10 minutes fluffing and moving her bed around before going back to sleep.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Ours get fed twice a day (at 7 and 7), 2 even sized meals. But at 8.30 or 9.30 (either before or after last turnout) they get a 4x2 biscuit. They love them, its good for their teeth and it keeps them quiet at night. PK has a funny tummy, so I like giving them a little extra as it seems to help, and she will always eat the 4x2.

Guest LindsaySF

Mine get cookies at 11 when I go to bed. They never wake up after that. I think that's their cue that its bedtime now.

Same here.

No way! Bootsy eats at 6:30 and 6:30. He sometimes gets a small cookie or treat after his last turnout, around 11pm, but not always. If you don't get hungry in the middle of the night, why would your pup?

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest RiverCityGang

Mine get vanilla wafer cookies, or half a graham cracker after they come in from last out. It's their bedtime snack and no one comes looking for anything in the middle of the night. They get 2 meals - at 6 A.M and 6 P.M., so I expect they need something before bed !

Yes, my two get cookies - Sagan gets a large cookie, and Merlin gets three of his prescription cookies, because he has IBD and has a problem where acid builds up in his stomach and if it gets bad enough he won't even eat anymore because his belly hurts (so I have to force-feed him :( until he feels better, then he eats).

A snack late at night is a must for Merlin, Sagan would miss it but he could do without. Even if Merlin didn't have any issues, I'd give them treats before bed, it takes the edge off their long overnight fast.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Annie Bella gets fed about 6:30 AM and 5 PM. In between she gets small treats (I buy little treats made for little dogs) for when we come in from walks or P&P trips and to reward her and also usually gets one large-dog Milk Bone at some point. She gets nothing before going to bed and doesn't wake up in the middle of the night.

No way! Bootsy eats at 6:30 and 6:30. He sometimes gets a small cookie or treat after his last turnout, around 11pm, but not always. If you don't get hungry in the middle of the night, why would your pup?

Apparently, it works based on the number of people who told me, when I was a new Greyhound owner, to keep some food next to my bed and when my dog started to make noise at 4 AM to give it to him.

:rolleyes:

Uh, folks, I was trying to cure him of the behavior, not reinforce it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Mine get a small bowl of milk each with a dash of hot water in it to take the chill off. Sometimes a cookie as well (homemade dog cookies, that is).

We've had tradesmen who've been in our home over two or three days who've watched the dogs and commented on what a nice life they have. One said nothing till he was about to leave and then said 'When I die, I want to come back as one of your dogs'! :lol

However .. Jeffie needs the calories any way I can get them down him. If he eats too much at once, or eats too fast, or goes too long between meals, he vomits. Sometimes he does it for no apparent reason. It's a nightmare keeping weight on this guy.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop