Really Scared For Magic

I have small update. This morning Magic's front left leg is a little swollen from his ankle down. It's not substantial but it is noticeable. He was barely putting weight on it. I felt the area where he seemed to have pain and I got a little yelp. I got a bigger one when I bent his ankle back. I know when the vet checked his right front leg and bent that ankle, he noticed something in Magic's shoulder. Needless to say, I'm more scared now and am calling the vet momentarily (they open at 8 am).

Oh crap- fingers crossed its a soft tissue injury. Update when you can.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too - I hope the vet was able to fit you in :goodluck :goodluck Please update when you can...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Since he doesn't want to shake his head I would be worried about an ear or brain problem. Before being diagnosed with encephalitis my boy didn't want to shake his head, had a head tilt, walked off balance, and his neck hurt on vet exam. I would sure want to have that looked at by a veterinarian. I hope you are able to find out what's wrong and he starts to feel better.

Just a quick update.

Magic had an ear infection a month or so ago. I checked his left ear since that was the problem side this time and his ear was clean. I'll have to check his right ear as it's a little overdue for a cleaning.

Also, his neck seems a little better today. As I mentioned earlier, his left front foot is a little swollen from the ankle down. In looking at it this evening, I remembered that it looks very similar to the way one of his front feet looked about a year ago when he had an infection. It's also a little warm to the touch.

We'll see. Magic appointment is at 7 this evening. I couldn't get one earlier. I'm glad I went to work after all today. At least work prevented me from fretting too much.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

fingers crossed that it is just a nasty ear infection !

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

We're back from the vet. It turns out Magic most likely has lime disease. The vet didn't do a blood test but he sees it often enough to recognize it just by feeling, in this case, Magic's ankle and neck.

If he's not feeling better in the next 3 or 4 days, I'm to take him back.

Now the real fun begins: finding creative ways to give Magic his antibiotic. Peanut butter didn't work tonight but cream cheese did. He does like yogurt and ice cream so they are 2 possibilities as is wet food.

We're still planning on going to GIG next weekend and I'm hoping peanut butter will work otherwise I'll have to get small cans of wet food (perhaps Little Ceasar or similar.) Suggestions are more than welcome.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

We're back from the vet. It turns out Magic most likely has lime disease. The vet didn't do a blood test but he sees it often enough to recognize it just by feeling, in this case, Magic's ankle and neck.

If he's not feeling better in the next 3 or 4 days, I'm to take him back.

Now the real fun begins: finding creative ways to give Magic his antibiotic. Peanut butter didn't work tonight but cream cheese did. He does like yogurt and ice cream so they are 2 possibilities as is wet food.

We're still planning on going to GIG next weekend and I'm hoping peanut butter will work otherwise I'll have to get small cans of wet food (perhaps Little Ceasar or similar.) Suggestions are more than welcome.

Glad Magic has a diagnosis and hopefully he'll start to respond to the treatment.....Doxy, I am assuming.

Our aged GSD would take a pill in a 'Pill Pocket', but Bandit the Pointer could not be fooled by anything.

We had to just open her mouth and shove them down her throat....followed immediately by a delicious piece of dehydrayed liver or other equally yummy treat.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Well ... okay then! Will you be testing for Lymes?

As for pills, mine have always been great about just gobbling it up with their food, but for those between-meals pills, I find it works to get them ALL excited about treats (we play catch or various tricks-for-treats), slip that pill in, maybe inside a treat or not, and on to the next treat/trick like nothing. cool.gif

There's always hot-dogs, right?

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Thinking good thoughts for Magic, Carol.

We've used liverwurst to pill the dogs. They love it, and it's dirt cheap.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

It's wonderful that your vet is that experienced and astute! Scritches to mister Magic and hopes that he feels better soonest.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm surprised your vet didn't do a blood test. My understanding of lyme (Gabe had it) is that it's important to get a Titer test to see how far it's progressed.

Whipped cream covered pills usually go over well here.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I hope Magic is on the mend soon!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sliced turkey lunchmeat. Pills in the center, roll the lunchmeat into a tube and hold both ends. Dog snatches the center (with the pills) from your hand and then sucks in both ends. (I've got one boy taking a half-dozen pills at meal time--and they all go down in one gulp of lunchmeat.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Just wanted to mention that doxy is chelative (binds to minerals - calcium especially). So if you can avoid giving dairy products with it, that would be best. It's also hard on the stomach, so he should have "some" food in his belly when you give it.

Hope Magic is feeling better riteawayquik!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest SoulsMom

So glad things are looking up for Magic! It's so difficult when they clearly don't feel well but can't tell us what is bothering them