Mighty, My Best Friend

Guest solom01

I did know Mighty. I adopted him to you those many years ago. I'm sorry that we've been out of touch with each other. I'm even more sorry to hear that you've lost your very special boy. He was an incredibly sweet boy and I know your heart must be really hurting. If you ever need/want to talk, email me at retiredracers@live.com (different than the one I used to have).

Losing your best friend is never easy but please know that he loved you and never felt like you let him down. When I lost Crooke, I kept thinking, if only I'd done something different but I know now that it just doesn't work that way. When it's time to go, it's time. It doesn't make it hurt any less, though. Time will help you to heal. In the meantime, Greytalk can be a greyt place to help the grieving process because so many of us understand what you are experiencing. It sometimes helps to be around others with similar experiences.

Here is a link to a couple of pics from when he was a foster

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?showpic=1026310&nm=2&time=1312709805

Hugs and take care,

Sheila

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Boarding is part of owning a greyhound or any other pet. You ddn't let Mighty down. You left him in the care of someone you trusted, and that's all any of us can do when we have to be away.

Run-free Mighty.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest solom01

Sheila, it's so good to hear from you....I just wanted you and Greg to know how the story played out. After a rough start (because I was a jerk and was thinking of all the stuff Mighty was destroying instead of his needs - although you have to admit that eating and then throwing up a cellphone is somewhat strange) I said to heck with it and promised Mighty I would never put him back in a crate. Sheila, Mighty had the biggest heart of anyone (animal or human) I've ever known. No growls, snaps, or anything but love. There are a lot of older people in this neighborhood and every time he saw one he would not only wag his tail, but his whole body would wiggle with joy. These are older people who don't have a lot of friends or company and their faces would light up when they saw this, he made each of them feel special. His favorite holiday was Halloween - he thought it was the coolest thing in the world to just be at the door and have an endless stream of kids delivered that he could lick and be petted by. How he made it as a racer is beyond me, since he tried to play with small dogs, cats, heck even squirrels. Not a day went by that I didn't tell him how he was the best dog in the universe and how lucky I was to have him in my life. At the time I adopted Mighty I know you had just lost one of your special hounds, but I had no idea how much you must have been hurting. I feel somewhat guilty about this, but Mighty's death has been absolutely devastating, worse than when I lost my grandparents. As a man we're taught not to be emotional, but when I came home from work last night and he wasn't there to great me at the door it was absolutely horrible. I just wanted you guys to know that you couldn't possibly have found a better companion for me than Mighty, it was like we were just perfect for each other. You know, the nose thing was funny. When people first saw it they were somewhat taken aback, but after a few minutes with him they would all be in awe of what a sweet dog he was. In my eyes, he was without a doubt the most handsome dog that ever existed. Thank you for giving me five years with the most wonderful friend I've ever had.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Mighty sounds like he was an exceptional boy & was so very lucky to be so loved. I'm very sorry he couldn't stay here with you longer. Godspeed Mighty! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm crying as I read your tribute and updates. I have to tell you, Mighty couldn't have found a more loving Dad, one who understood him so well, appreciated him, and loved him unconditionally. You were wise to overlook a physical imperfection and rocky adjustment to see the beauty of his gentle spirit. You knew he was a true friend right from the start. I can't imagine how hard it is to lose him, especially when you were in no way prepared. It adds another layer to your grief, but remember that there is no time frame to that grieving. One day you will realize that there have been more smiles than tears, as you remember the many things you shared. And you shared him with others! He must have brought so much joy into so many lives just by being the wonderful dog that he was. I think that when you are ready, he will send you the perfect dog to help your heart heal. In the meantime, please come here to talk about your sweet boy. It really does help to know that others understand.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Mighty.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

There are a lot of older people in this neighborhood and every time he saw one he would not only wag his tail, but his whole body would wiggle with joy. These are older people who don't have a lot of friends or company and their faces would light up when they saw this, he made each of them feel special. His favorite holiday was Halloween - he thought it was the coolest thing in the world to just be at the door and have an endless stream of kids delivered that he could lick and be petted by. How he made it as a racer is beyond me, since he tried to play with small dogs, cats, heck even squirrels. Not a day went by that I didn't tell him how he was the best dog in the universe and how lucky I was to have him in my life.

This made me cry for many reasons. How wonderful you found each other. May he guide someone to you soon.

Remember -- you can always go to the kennel and walk greyhounds just to be around them :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I am so very sorry for your loss. Mighty was a very handsome boy and had to be exceptionally special in the way he greeted everyone. I love the way you described his anticipation at greeting

older people. It sounds as if he had a sense that they were lonely and needed some happiness. I know how your heart is hurting, but also know in time that it will hurt less and the memories

you have of Mighty will be of tremendous comfort to you. You gave him a great life and I want to thank you for overlooking his imperfection and giving him the best gift ever-your love and loyalty.

Godspeed Mighty.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your love of Mighty with us. He was obviously a very special boy, who was well-loved. I hope that in time, the tears will be replaced by smiles as you remember the joy he brought to the lives of all he touched...in the meantime, please know that you gave him what any pup would want...a loving home, with a friend/family to cherish him for the rest of his life.

hugs to you during this difficult time.

Run free with the other Angels, Sweet Mighty...

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

I am so sorry for your loss. Godspeed, Mighty.

I also lost a dog while I was away on a trip and he was in a kennel - I know how hard that guilt of not "being there" is to deal with. I had to learn to forgive myself and accept that nothing I could have done would have changed the outcome, and cherish all the good memories.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Gosh, how awful for you. I am so sorry. Your words paint a picture of a dog well loved and life lived to the fullest. I'm sure Mighty would have stayed if he could have but I'm also sure that he wouldn't have traded that five years with you for anything. His loving disposition was a reflection of the love he had with you. I hope the memories of his loving soul provide comfort in the coming days and weeks.

I am so sorry that your first post on GT was in this section, but you have come to the right place.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thank you for sharing your story. I do hope that it helps you find some peace in Mighty's passing.

f_yellow:brokenheartDevonSympathy.jpg:brokenheartf_yellow

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

So sorry for your loss of your perfectly matched companion.

Thanks you for your beautiful tribute and update - which is so hard writing but it helps fill the empty void that just tears ar our hearts.

It was great of you to take in a disfigured dog - which shows that you have a great heart - which was rewarded by 5 super years with this wonderfully loving creature.

Nothing can ever take his place in your heart but just being with other greys, possibly taking them for walks really can help heal your soul.

Cheers and quick healing to you.

Guest solom01

Thank you all you have been a huge help. I got Mighty's ashes back yesterday and although I know this sounds strange it actually made me feel a lot better. Mighty was always a real home body (he was never too comfortable when he was in any house but his) so it just seemed kind of comforting to know that he is back where he belongs. I've also started the process of adopting a Greyhound. He won't ever replace Mighty, but I'm at a lost being by myself without a dog. I figured that as long as there are hounds out there waiting for a home and I'm missing having a Greyhound so much it can be a win-win situation for both of us. At least this time thanks to Mighty I'm better prepared. No matter how long the adjustment process takes the final outcome is worth it. I'll just make sure to not leave cell phones or remote controls where he can reach them! Again, you all have been great - I'm learning that not only are Greyhounds great, so are the people who open their hearts to them.

I am happy Mighty is home where he belongs and also happy that you are opening you heart and home for another. Mighty would want it no other way.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

<br />Thank you all you have been a huge help. I got Mighty's ashes back yesterday and although I know this sounds strange it actually made me feel a lot better. Mighty was always a real home body (he was never too comfortable when he was in any house but his) so it just seemed kind of comforting to know that he is back where he belongs. I've also started the process of adopting a Greyhound.  He won't ever replace Mighty, but I'm at a lost being by myself without a dog. I figured that as long as there are hounds out there waiting for a home and I'm missing having a Greyhound so much it can be a win-win situation for both of us.  At least this time thanks to Mighty I'm better prepared. No matter how long the adjustment process takes the final outcome is worth it.  I'll just make sure to not leave cell phones or remote controls where he can reach them! Again, you all have been great - I'm learning that not only are Greyhounds great, so are the people who open their hearts to them.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

There is no doubt that you have made Mighty so proud and happy by offering your home to another needy houndie. You know what Mighty is thinking? I can tell you...he's thinking that he is so happy for you doing this because it just proves that he was so special that having had him you just can't live without another houndie now. And he so wants you to be happy. When my first hound Ivy crossed over I literally couldn't stand to be without a greyhound. I knew NOBODY would understand and be able to help me heal like another houndie and I was right having adopted Goldie within 2 days of when Ivy crossed over. I am sure Mighty will help arrange for the exact right houndie to come your way. God bless all. Greyhound love IS very unique and special isn't it?

I'm so glad to hear that you are looking to adopt again. As I said in my earlier post, the emptiness in my house was beyond what I could live with. Initially, when I talked to people, I said that I felt like I wasn't honoring Jack by adopting right away....but as my dearest friend pointed out, waiting would not bring Jack back - and would only prolong my hurt (something Jack would never have wanted)....and why not open my home to another hound who needs a forever place.... So out I went and brought home the two boyz.....

Also, so many of us understand about getting the ashes home. I felt a bit of peace providing Jack with his final resting place right beside my bed.

Please keep us apprised of your search for another hound......There is an introductory thread and a few others where we all look and would be thrilled to see that you have honored Mighty's memory - and all the things he taught you about hounds - by bringing a new one into your life.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I felt like I did things wrong at the end of Hurley's life too and it pains me to think that you rushing to be with him could cause you to feel any guilt. We ate their owners and their forever family. How they choose to pass is very much not their decision.

Run free, Mighty! You had quite a mighty life and a wonderful home!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background