Gave Tylenol

Chance is suddenly in some pain since getting a bite from a lab yesterday. He was fine all morning but he wont let me touch it. So STUPIDLY I gave him about 200-250mg of Tylenol to ease the pain. I didnt know it is toxic.! Chance weighs about 68lbs and i gave it about an hour and a half ago. What do i do?

Chances are everything will be fine. Tylenol actually can be given to dogs but, a very carefully calculated dosage must be prescribed by your vet (Tylenol with codeine is used in very painful dogs). It's best you call your vet to make sure the dosage you gave will be a non toxic one.

Suggest you purchase a book such as "The Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" for future reference.

Everyone who owns pets really needs to know the fundamentals of home health treatments for situations such as this.

:colgate

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrianRke

in the future, you can always give them peroxide to make them throw up

IM not sure what the time limit is, but I think 30min might be too late, someone on here knows Im sure

I read the link and maybe I'm just a worrier but, I would be heading out to the e-vet.

That's an understandable reaction but the dose given, 250 mg, is probably well within the average prescribed dosing so hopefully this dog is average.

Link was very helpful. I can breathe a little easier now!

I read the link and maybe I'm just a worrier but, I would be heading out to the e-vet.

There would be no legitimate reason for doing that. As that article says, Tylenol can be given safely to dogs at the appropriate dosage. I was given Codeine w/Tylenol for Neyla when she was at the end of her battle with osteo. I can't remember how many she was allowed to have each day because we didn't end up needing them, but each one contained 300 mg of acetaminophen so what the OP gave is definitely within a safe range.

To the OP, you could ask your vet about having some Tramadol on hand for things like this in the future. I like it better for situations like this where you can't get in to get something from your vet immediately because it can be given safely with most other pain medications. You can also safely give buffered aspirin, but if the vet then wanted to provide an NSAID for instance, you'd need a bit of a washout period before you could start it. With Tramadol you wouldn't and it's got a wide safety range so I think it's reasonable to ask to have some on hand to use for minor injuries when you would otherwise be forced to pay an emergency vet fee.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I might go ahead and take Chance to the vet, since a bite generally requires antibiotics.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Any update?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I might go ahead and take Chance to the vet, since a bite generally requires antibiotics.

I agree with this. If he's exhibiting signs post bite of discomfort, chances are he's going to need antibiotics. Mouths are dirty and punctures are easily infected. Hope he feels better!