Urgent

Guest Energy11

Seizures ARE scary, be they canine or human! Sorry to hear about your baby. VALIUM is usually the drug of choice to stop a seizure and calm them down after seizures. I am not sure why that E-vet would have used the Buprenex? Oh well, at least she is better now!

You might want to ask your regular vet for some rectal Valium. This is in liquid form, and can be drawn up into a sryinge and admintered to help stop a seizure (*needle off, of course). Always good to keep on hand with a seizure dog.

This might also be an isolated seizure, and you may never see one again!

Good luck! Sending lots of love and prayers your way!

Yes, the e-vet said that she did not know Angel would react that way and she never would have given it. I wish she would have given the valium first. Well, I have to wait till noon as she wants to continue the IV drip until then. Why so long with the IV drip - since 12 pm last night ???!!! She stated taht Angel was just a little bit dehydrated. But why the hours and hours fo IV drip? I dont feel comfortable with that. But I am nervous too. She has not had any other seizures since and they said she is doing very well now. They said that when they walked her to her crib, she got panicked and pulled out IV. They put another in and said she screamed as if her arm were cut off and flustered a bit. The vet kept referring to Angel as being "picky", "not happy with IV", "having a tissy fit" - as if Angel was overacting because she was not in pain, just scared of the "buzz" or "high" from the drug. Well, the girl was frightened to death- she was having a seizure and being picked and prodded and then spent the night away from mommy and her sister.

When Angel was having seizure, poor Bella stood far away and stared at her and cried. Of course I did not make anything better by calling all the numbers and littteraly panicking and boo hooing on the phone! But Bella is the only one around -sister - and ran away scared. She misses her sis this morning - she wont even sleep in her ortho. bed. She stayed all night on the other bed in teh living room away from the "scene of the incident". Wont even eat her cookie in her bed! Her and Angels big ortho beds are in teh kitchen/family room close to each other. Angel was on her bed when it happened and Bella was in her bed. Today, Bella stays in teh living room bed and is very quiet to herself. I am trying to calm her.

Hi again!

An IV drip is just that, a drip ;) It is given slowly over a long period of time. If you give an IV fast, it is usually for a shock condition (*fluid depletion due to blood or fluid loss). If IV fluid is given too quickly, it can accumulate in the lungs, and leak out of the cells into a sort of "third space" under the skin. You want to keep the fluids in the cells and bloodstream for maximum adsorption and hydration.

Some animals tolerate the IV better than others. **The needle is NOT in the vein any longer, but, just a thin, plastic catherater. I am sure the uneasiness is due to the first narcotic given, and she will be ship shape, soon! :))

Take care~ Dee and the Five

Edited by Energy11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to see that you have gotten so much good info and advice. Great advice from Greysmom about watching Bella around Angel.

This could very well be a "one-off" for Angel, and hopefully, it is. I would imagine Bella is picking up on your anxiety level. Not only is her sister not there, but Mom is upset. I know it's not easy, but try and be as calm as you can around her.

I've never had a Grey with seizures, but have had 3 cats who had them. Oh, my gosh, I understand how scary they are, especially the first time you see your baby so out of control. But they came out of them without complications, and due to the infrequency, they didn't have to be on any meds. If they are put on meds too soon, you can't really know if the seizures are controlled because of the meds, or if they just aren't having any on a frequent basis. Best to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially when dealing with meds that could have unwanted side effects.

We're all thinking about you and Angel, and sending out lots of good thoughts. Hope she can come home soon. Please let us know how she's doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thank you all so very much - you are greatly appreciated!

Angel baby is home. She was whiney getting into the jeep, getting out of the jeep, and for the first 20 minutes being at home. Bella sniffed her in curiosoty, but stays away - in the other room. Bella looks at me with worry. But I stayed down with Angel in her bed the whole time loving on her and cooing with her. Well, she did eat 1/4 of a dog biscuit. She looked very worried and upset around me, hubby, the room for a few minutes. Well, hubby and I just decided to go about business as usual and leave her alone. Well, she laid her little head down and went right to sleep like a little baby. She is in front of me now sleeping and her breathing is smooth, regular, and normal. She looks very comfortable. Vet said she cannot for sure state that it is an isolated case, but just to keep an eye on her.

I appreciate what was said above that Bella is picking up on my anxiety - especially from last night. I am working on remaining calm and acting as nothing has happened in front of the girls.

My hubby stated the thing about Bella may turn on Angel if seizure as the weakness in the animal pack thing as well. I dont like to hear that, but it is what it is. I will pray that this never happens again. With my mom's heath being so on edge and my worry about her, and hubby, I want my girls to be happy and healthy. But they know for sure that mom is always there with them and mom loves them so much. They need me.

Thank you all so much again. By the way, Angel is 7 years old, and the medicine administered was 1.0 ml of Butorphanol by IV. "Butorphanol caused panting and mild dysphoria" as stated on the discharge instructions. "LRS was initiated at 100ml/hr then increased to 166ml/hr to deliver a volumn equivalent to a 5% dehydration deficit." "Angel was treated in hospital with fluids and monitored for seizure activity for 12+ hours. The dysphoria caused by Butorphanol resolved without complicaiton."

So glad she's home. She needs a good nap (I can imagine you do too). No more Torbutrol (brand name for Butorphanol) for your girl!!

She might not want drink today because she hydrated from the IV fluids so not too worry. Keep us posted!

So glad she is home.

What a frightening and exhausting experience for all of you.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

We are trying to be quiet around her. However, I closed the back door and it woke her up, and immediately she started panting and whining. So I went over and cooed with her for about a minute and then left her alone. About ten minutes after leaving her alone, she laid back down. It seems that when we leave her alone, she will lay back down and calm down again.

Can it be any residual of the medicine? I am guessing it is the trememdous extreme trauma that she has been through - and being at loud vet all night long with catheter. She is panting now and her head is raised up. I am just leaving her alone in hopes she will calm back down. It seems that when I make over her, she stays nervous.

Guest Energy11

We are trying to be quiet around her. However, I closed the back door and it woke her up, and immediately she started panting and whining. So I went over and cooed with her for about a minute and then left her alone. About ten minutes after leaving her alone, she laid back down. It seems that when we leave her alone, she will lay back down and calm down again.

Can it be any residual of the medicine? I am guessing it is the trememdous extreme trauma that she has been through - and being at loud vet all night long with catheter. She is panting now and her head is raised up. I am just leaving her alone in hopes she will calm back down. It seems that when I make over her, she stays nervous.

What you are describing could be a little bit of everything. It could still be side effects of the Torb (med she received), the seizure, the whole event, and of course, the vet stay. I would definitely ask my vet for Valium (Diazapam) tablets, and possibly the liquid type, to administer rectally, in the event of a prolonged seizure, when you see him/her. I'd just try to keep her as calm as possible, and maybe lie by her, etc. She definitely needs to follow up with her own vet, though, tomorrow.

I hope you have an uneventful, quiet night! Hugs!

Well, she stood up like she wanted something. So I asked her if she needed to go out. She did and peed and pooped. But she was very dissoriented outside. She is so dissoriented that she did something strange. She went and laid downn in the bushes. I had to go out and get her. In the house she acts a little disoreinted to. SHe looks at me as if she cant really see me. I was in kitchen and had baked chicken. Well she walked right up to me for chicken. SHe loves it. She ate all pieces I gave her. Then she went back to bed. She walks slowly.

I called e-vet tonight to tell her of dissorientation. She said it is not medication. She said that when a seizure is about to come on, that there is dissorientation. She said that concerned her. Said for me to watch her as if it happened it would be in her sleep in middle of night. I did not want to hear that!!!

So I am praying for miracle and will keep an eye on her whole night.

Tomorrow I am taking her to my vet for a follow up. E-vet will call her tomorrow too.

Guest avadogner

Luanna,

I am so sorry to hear about Angel's seizure! I can't imagine how scary it was to see her like that. I am so glad her sis didn't get aggressive. Hopefully it's an isolated event. I am so glad your girl is home and comfortable. We will keep y'all in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated with Angel.

-ava & augie's mum alicia

Prayers for a restful seizure-free evening. :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Luanna,

I am so sorry to hear about Angel's seizure! I can't imagine how scary it was to see her like that. I am so glad her sis didn't get aggressive. Hopefully it's an isolated event. I am so glad your girl is home and comfortable. We will keep y'all in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated with Angel.

-ava & augie's mum alicia

Thank you Alicia,

I have missed chatting with you. I am still thinking of you. I hope you are all well. I have been so busy with school, I have not been on GT for a couple of months, I think. Oh please pray. I am believing for a wonderful peaceful night. No more! I will keep you posted.

God Bless,

Luana

Guest AnnaBellLee

Well, she stood up like she wanted something. So I asked her if she needed to go out. She did and peed and pooped. But she was very dissoriented outside. She is so dissoriented that she did something strange. She went and laid downn in the bushes. I had to go out and get her. In the house she acts a little disoreinted to. SHe looks at me as if she cant really see me. I was in kitchen and had baked chicken. Well she walked right up to me for chicken. SHe loves it. She ate all pieces I gave her. Then she went back to bed. She walks slowly.

I called e-vet tonight to tell her of dissorientation. She said it is not medication. She said that when a seizure is about to come on, that there is dissorientation. She said that concerned her. Said for me to watch her as if it happened it would be in her sleep in middle of night. I did not want to hear that!!!

So I am praying for miracle and will keep an eye on her whole night.

Tomorrow I am taking her to my vet for a follow up. E-vet will call her tomorrow too.

Sometimes they stay disoriented after the seizure for a few hours, too. Stay calm. <3

You mentioned your taking her to your vet in the morning. I'm sure your vet will want to run blood work- please include a tick panel and a full tbyroid panel with the chemistry.

Your vet may want to run an EKG also.

Fingers crossed for a peaceful night.

We went to vet this afternoon, and she passed x-rays, blood tests, tick profile test, and will hear from vet about her thyroid test tomorrow afternoon.

She is still fully in the post-ictal phase (two full days now!). Two to three hours straight of slow pacing and panting, disorientation, not great vision, getting stuck in corners, and slow, staggering, fragile walking. Vet sent us home with Valium. I just administered a pill to her in some meat. I hope within 30 minutes, she will stop pacing and lay down and get some sleep. This evening, she slept a full 2.5 hours deeply and soundly. But as soon as she woke up, she went out to pee, and came in and immediately went through her pacing routine. At least she eats, and is able to sleep when she can.

Praying for a miracle that this post-ictal phase ends immediately.

Thank you for your prayers and kind thoughts.

My vet sent us home with Valium (10mg per tab). 1.5 tablets every eight to ten hours. Her first dose was yesterday at 1:30pm, then at 9:30pm, and then one at 6:30 this morning. It takes about 30 or so minutes to kick in. But the Valium makes her limp and sleepy. When it really kicks in,she cant stand up and gets very very drowsy. This morning when she woke up after sleeping a few hours after the Valium, she whined and went outside to pee, and then walked a few steps and kind of slipped down on the grass - I buffered her fall. I carried her back into the house and to bed. Even though she wanted to pace, she could not stand up. She has been sleeping now for about three hours.

I dont want to keep giving her the Valium, only if she really needs it. But this morning when she woke up at 5am to go out, she seemed a little better. Went down the steps (three off the deck), and peed and pooped. She walked all the way to the back of fence area and walked better than ever. And when I called her to come in, she actually trotted back! I still carried her up steps as she still has a little trouble seeing in darker areas. But with Valium, she can barely walk. When she wakes up, she will go out, but I will let her pace for a bit to get ecxersize. If she lays down without the need for more Valium, I will not admisister it.

I hope she gets better soon. That could be a bit to much valium but don't decrease dosage without the dr. advice. Also I think valium needs to build up in the system to get the best benefits.

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah