Urgent

My little Angel was on her bed when my husband and I were in the dining room playing monopoly. She was in the kitchen. All of the sudden we heard thumping against the wall. We ran in and the poor baby was having a seizure!!! My husband put blankets over her and led her head to stay down and I had a long raw hide to slip in her mouth to not swallow toung. About two minutes later she was fine. Well I called the emergency vet, they had me come in and doc said she was going to run blood work and tests for clotting. Well she passed all tests fine. But doc gave her something called Buthanene or Beuthan, or something to sedate her and help her. So sorry I for got in my panic. Well she responded BADLY. She was crying for an hour and half. doc said it would wear off in two hours that Angel was having a "bad" trip - she was scared of being "lupy" being high on the drug. I tried to calm her and comfort her whole time Doc put her on fluids and potassium for hydration and will keep her the night. I hated to leave her but doc said she would do just fine. The B..... whatever would wear off and Angel had a bad reaction from it

Have been home about half hour, want to call vet to see if she is better from crying

I am panicked, schared, guilty, and ....................

Please help

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No advice or experience here, but sending your Angel, you and your husband prayers. :bighug It must have been terrifying, both the seizure and her reaction to the medication at the e-vet.

There are lots of GTers here who have experience with seizure dogs, I'm sure you will get some very good and sound advice and guidance.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I just called the e-vet. The nurse said that she was right beside Angel and that she has stopped crying and whining completely but is still panting. They will have fluids for the next few hours for hydration with potassium. I feel a little better that she has stopped crying. I left her big fluffy blanket and doc promised me they would put it in her crib. Doc asked me who my vet was, and she said the owner of that hospital was the husband of the vet who ownes my vet clinic. She is absolutely top drawer and was educated at University of Florida. She said patients from my vet get special treatment.

No advice but many thoughts coming your way. Rex had a very bad reaction to Moraphine and that was the longest night of my life. Had another flip out from Valium. Sometimes they just fight it too hard.

Maybe the worst is over. Thinking of you and Angel.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

The "B" was most likely Buprenex . It's a narcotic and many, many hounds do not do well with narcotics- they will exhibit the exact symptoms that your baby did. Buprenex can last 4-6 hours but, I have seen symptoms last up to 8 hours.

Sorry about the seizure- sounds like she's in good hands.

Guest Ohiogreymom

You don't have to, or even Should put anything in her mouth during a seizure. They cannot swallow their tongue. That's a myth! Just be sure there's nothing near that she can get hurt on, and keep any other dogs away from her so they don't hurt her. Good luck, hope you can get her on the right meds to stop them. They ARE scary. :grouphug

You don't have to, or even Should put anything in her mouth during a seizure. They cannot swallow their tongue. That's a myth! Just be sure there's nothing near that she can get hurt on, and keep any other dogs away from her so they don't hurt her. Good luck, hope you can get her on the right meds to stop them. They ARE scary. :grouphug

Cannot emphasize this enough. You cannot swallow your tongue. However it can drop back and block your airway so all you do is keep your pup (or human) on it's side and protect them when they are thrashing. Sorry this happened.

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest KennelMom

Cannot emphasize this enough. You cannot swallow your tongue. However it can drop back and block your airway so all you do is keep your pup (or human) on it's side and protect them when they are thrashing. Sorry this happened.

Agree...hopefully she won't have another seizure, but if she does please keep this in mind. Just keep her as safe as possible until it's over.

Sending prayers to your girl :hope Many, many years ago, Echo had a seizure and it was (has been) a one and only event. We suspect related to a tick disease, but we'll never truly know.

Guest verthib

My girl got a pain med a couple months ago and reacted the same way. Crying wailing panting pacing not laying down but her legs would give way. Very scary. Neve saw anything like that. Hopefully your girl won't have any more seizures. Good luck! Sending positive thoughts your way.

The "B" was most likely Buprenex . It's a narcotic and many, many hounds do not do well with narcotics- they will exhibit the exact symptoms that your baby did. Buprenex can last 4-6 hours but, I have seen symptoms last up to 8 hours.

Sorry about the seizure- sounds like she's in good hands.

Thank you!

Agree...hopefully she won't have another seizure, but if she does please keep this in mind. Just keep her as safe as possible until it's over.

Sending prayers to your girl :hope Many, many years ago, Echo had a seizure and it was (has been) a one and only event. We suspect related to a tick disease, but we'll never truly know.

THank you - I will remember!

It is 8am and I just called e-vet. Doc says she still has a little more IV fluids to go but did very well and comfortable through the night. Right now she is resting and doing very very well. Doc said she would call me when it was time for her to go. I cannot wait to see her. They would not let me stay there the night - who would want a panicky mom around anyway?

I certainly do appreciate all your prayers and kind words and inputs for me and my baby! I knew I could count on the friends at GreyTalk. How important a group like this is!!!

I will keep you posted when she comes home. I am really praying that this is a once in a life time occurence. I have read other threads last night of so many others here who suffer constantly with seizures of your poor little babies and much worse. My prayers go out to you!

God Bless!

I know it's scary but, most dogs come out of a seizure ok just as long as it does not last too long or they don't occur right after another (clustering). As others have suggested, don't put anything in your dog's mouth, it can cause more harm than good. After a seizure a dog can be a bit worn out but, usually don't require any additional sedation just as long as the seizures have stopped.

I suggest that you start keeping track of when the seizures have occurred and how long they last and the type. Most neurologists consider treating when a dog is having more than 1 seizure a month but, it depends.

It could be that this is the only seizure that your dog has but, is there is another one then it is time to see a neurological vet - don't go to a regular vet as they may not be up on the latest treatments. Neurologists are very familiar with how the drugs interact and most (the one I use is like this) will work with you to handle the seizures at home so you don't have to take them to the ER for regular seizures. The ER would still be necessary for seizures that are not stopping.

Hopefully Lindsay will chime in, she helped me quite a bit when I first traveled this road with my Lucy.

Good Luck

Guest Energy11

Seizures ARE scary, be they canine or human! Sorry to hear about your baby. VALIUM is usually the drug of choice to stop a seizure and calm them down after seizures. I am not sure why that E-vet would have used the Buprenex? Oh well, at least she is better now!

You might want to ask your regular vet for some rectal Valium. This is in liquid form, and can be drawn up into a sryinge and admintered to help stop a seizure (*needle off, of course). Always good to keep on hand with a seizure dog.

This might also be an isolated seizure, and you may never see one again!

Good luck! Sending lots of love and prayers your way!

So sorry this happened to you and your pup. Seizures are really scarey. If you have more than one dog, you might want to keep Angel separated from the others while you are not at home as the other dogs might attack her during a seizure.

Jazzy was given a narcotic one time and I won't do that again. I know just what you mean about the crying and pacing. I was up all night that time. Never again.

Seizures ARE scary, be they canine or human! Sorry to hear about your baby. VALIUM is usually the drug of choice to stop a seizure and calm them down after seizures. I am not sure why that E-vet would have used the Buprenex? Oh well, at least she is better now!

You might want to ask your regular vet for some rectal Valium. This is in liquid form, and can be drawn up into a sryinge and admintered to help stop a seizure (*needle off, of course). Always good to keep on hand with a seizure dog.

This might also be an isolated seizure, and you may never see one again!

Good luck! Sending lots of love and prayers your way!

Yes, the e-vet said that she did not know Angel would react that way and she never would have given it. I wish she would have given the valium first. Well, I have to wait till noon as she wants to continue the IV drip until then. Why so long with the IV drip - since 12 pm last night ???!!! She stated taht Angel was just a little bit dehydrated. But why the hours and hours fo IV drip? I dont feel comfortable with that. But I am nervous too. She has not had any other seizures since and they said she is doing very well now. They said that when they walked her to her crib, she got panicked and pulled out IV. They put another in and said she screamed as if her arm were cut off and flustered a bit. The vet kept referring to Angel as being "picky", "not happy with IV", "having a tissy fit" - as if Angel was overacting because she was not in pain, just scared of the "buzz" or "high" from the drug. Well, the girl was frightened to death- she was having a seizure and being picked and prodded and then spent the night away from mommy and her sister.

When Angel was having seizure, poor Bella stood far away and stared at her and cried. Of course I did not make anything better by calling all the numbers and littteraly panicking and boo hooing on the phone! But Bella is the only one around -sister - and ran away scared. She misses her sis this morning - she wont even sleep in her ortho. bed. She stayed all night on the other bed in teh living room away from the "scene of the incident". Wont even eat her cookie in her bed! Her and Angels big ortho beds are in teh kitchen/family room close to each other. Angel was on her bed when it happened and Bella was in her bed. Today, Bella stays in teh living room bed and is very quiet to herself. I am trying to calm her.

How old is Angel? Many greyhounds develop what is called "idiopathic epilepsy" - basically they are seizures for which no physical cause can be found. They can come on anytime but most likely after they are four years or older. These can be mild an infrequent requiring no medication and only careful monitoring, or they can become severe. I believe the guideline for beginning medication is seizures more frequent than every sixs weeks, or lasting longer than 10 minutes, or clusters of seizures.

Our first greyhound went for many years having infrequent seizures and on no medication. The seizures are scary to watch, but they can bounce back fairly quickly from each episode. This may be a one-off for you. Unfortunately, you won't know until another happens, and you now can't rule out the possibility that one will. You will need to take precautions with your other greyhound. Her fearful and anxious reaction could easily switch to something more violent if you or your DH are not there when a seizure happens. Seizures are a sign of weakness and a dog's natural instinct is to eliminate that pack member.

The 12 hour IV seems pretty standard. If Angel is dehydrated - highly likely both from the seizure and her bad drug reaction - she needs to be rehydrated slowly. She'll probably have to pee a lot after she comes home.

There are many threads on seizure dogs and many members who can offer you advice. I hope your girl is OK when you bring her home. Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest AnnaBellLee

Hi LadyGrey!

Some people have already mentioned some of this so pardon the duplication - We had a Golden who was epileptic. He had seizures regularly. It is definitely frightening.

We have a holistic vet who told us much of what has already been said here. 1) Don't put anything in his mouth. 2) Stay calm. 3) Treat only if recurring.

I'm not sure I understand why the E-Vet gave your Angel a narcotic? Maybe I missed it? But we were always told to just sit quietly - give him some space, and once it's over make sure to keep an eye on him. They get really disoriented for a few hours after and are very tired, but we never had to give him any medicine.

I'll be thinking of you today. Please keep us updated!!

Wishing all the best and a quick return home for your pup.

Another reminder for nothing in the mouth, it is a myth (both human and dog) that they can swallow their tongues, in fact if something is put in they can unintentionally bite off a piece from clenching their jaw and then choke.

Some dogs also run high temps when they have seizures so you may not want to cover Angel during a seizure.

My FedX did not deal with buprenex very well either, he was very loopy and this made him very nervous for about 4-6hrs, he then lost his appetite for the next couple days.

He also has seizures (not as serious as what your pup had) and he is fine, I just comfort him during and after and he is usually back to his normal self shortly after.