Screaming In Pain

Guest DanTheMan

Guest DanTheMan

Winnie is 11 years old and is in great health, no signs of arthritis or anything. A couple of days ago when I touched her between her shoulder blades she screamed in pain. I didn't have to press hard, just a light touch would do it. She does run around the yard like a maniac with our 3 year old coonhound so I don't know if it's some kind of soft tissue injury. She's not limping at all and I don't see any swelling, she still runs in the yard and up the stairs. I just notice she won't jump on the bed, kind of crawls up on it. I thought I would give it a couple of days to clear up but since it hasn't I'm trying to get through to the vet to make an appointment. In the meantime, has anyone experienced an injury like this? I'm very worried about her

Good wishes your way. My bridge beagle threw out her back and howled in pain.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Do you have harness? That may be easier on her neck. I'd limit all running and jumping for several days.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It's also possible that it's spinal arthritis. But definitely get x-rays before you get any physical therapy for her.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It's a common place for a trapped nerve, according to the greyhound vet we saw.

Chiropractic worked for my boy.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

You really, REALLY, need to get her seen by a vet, ASAP. Don't try to diagnose spinal injuries yourself, the potential for disaster is very real.

Hate to say it, but Renie began to do this, and it rapidly progressed. Not actually a spinal injury, as it happened, but a tumour growing into her spinal cord. Chiro would have been agony for her and wouldn't have helped, and acupunture would merely have masked the problem. JMHO.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh, poor Winnie! Please don't underplay your description of her pain while speaking to your Vet. And when "rest" is prescribed, please don't hesitate to err on the side of caution for much longer than you would think is necessary. No, running, jumping, twirling, no playing, no jumping on and off beds or furniture, leash walking at all times even when in an enclosed area for at least 4 weeks! At Winnie's age, she needs to be treated with kid gloves. Praying that the dx is something simple. Please don't leave the Vet's office without getting an xray. lt's not foolproof, but it will normally rule out the big, scary stuff.

Sure hope she feels better soon!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Please restrict her activity and take the collar off until you can get a good vet to diagnose it. If she continues to run and jump etc. a treatable injury could become a death sentence-no kidding. Even if it is a treatable injury it may require a minimum of 4-6 weeks restricted (leash walk for potty only) activity. What you are describing I have found to be very serious even life threatening. I have had several greyhounds with neck/spinal issues and it was the cause of death of my beloved Cash. Please be very careful and gentle with her. Remember she is an old lady at 11 yoa and although she wants to run her body may not be up to it. For my dogs the most effective treatment hsa been accupuncture.

Guest DanTheMan

We have an appointment for this morning. I haven't tried to touch her neck but she's acting totally normal. I will definately be getting an xray done. I really hope it turns out to be something simple and treatable.

Hope it's just some soreness and all is well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest burgerandfrey

Our first greyhound would sometimes do he same thing starting at around age 8. If you touched her neck or moved her head a certain way she would let out the worst greyhound shreak of death I have ever heard :cry1. She would also sometimes walk with her head held in a very flat position... as if she had continuous discomfort or pain in her neck. You could also tell the muscles on her neck and shoulder blades were tense. The vet could tell from x-rays that she had mild degenerative disc disease.

He suggested a glucosamine supplement and replacing her collar with a harness. We also had her on anti-inflammatories for a few weeks. She got better and the tenderness went away except for an occasional flare-up. The glucosamine really seemed to help, and when she was tender I am sure the harness was more comfortable for her. She was a strong puller in her younger years... at least when she knew we were headed to her favorite park, and we always wondered if that injured her neck. The vet didn't think so... he said it was just age related. Fortunately it never became a serious problem for her after we started the supplements.

Edited by burgerandfrey

Guest burgerandfrey

You really, REALLY, need to get her seen by a vet, ASAP. Don't try to diagnose spinal injuries yourself, the potential for disaster is very real.

Hate to say it, but Renie began to do this, and it rapidly progressed. Not actually a spinal injury, as it happened, but a tumour growing into her spinal cord. Chiro would have been agony for her and wouldn't have helped, and acupunture would merely have masked the problem. JMHO.

I agree that it is important to learn what you are dealing with before you try anything that might actually lead to more pain or injury. Fortunately for our first hound Aries, these symptoms were only degenerative disc disease and she lived for several more pain free years taking a glucosamine supplement.

Unfortunately at age 11 she developed a tumor like the one you describe. It affected her front-left leg and was extremely painful. It also got worse quickly and the shoulder muscle atrophied. An MRI revealed a rare nerve sheath tumor connected to her spinal cord. Because of the tumor's location and size, they recommended palliative care instead of amputation :cry1 They did say that the MRI showed that her discs were in pretty good shape for her age (in fact she was in excellent shape for an 11 year old). They did not think the disc disease and the tumor were related, but this type of tumor is rare and mysterious.

We have lost two greyhounds to cancer (Aries to the nerve sheath tumor and our boy Zeke to a nasal cavity tumor that grew into his brain), so my mind often jumps to the worst possible thing when a dog is limping or shrieking in pain. Then I remind myself that it usually is something less serious like injury or joint/disc inflammation. Even a bee sting can cause a surprising amount of pain or swelling. So can an infected puncture wound from a cat scratch that you can't see through the fur. The sooner I can get a diagnosis, the better I feel... because then I know what treatment to start with... and if the diagnosis is something treatable I can stop worrying about the big C (which is a huge relief).

Guest DanTheMan

It's good news! Acutally I'm a little embarrased. The vet started the examination at her tail and worked up her spine and when she got to her neck Winnie didn't react at all. We kind of giggled saying she was making a liar out of me but then the vet moved her hand and Winnie yelped when she brushed against her shoulder blade. Then the vet noticed a scab under the fur and after shaving some hair off we saw she had a small abcess, probably from some kind of insect bite. I was so relieved I almost started crying-espically after reading other's posts here and what they went through, I was convinced she had some kind of spinal tumor. Some antibiotics and she'll be as good as new. Thanks everyone.

:yay :yay :yay Don't you just love that kind of outcome? Best news I've had all day. We LOVE simple. :yay :yay :yay

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest kaiandsam

Yay for Winnie! A great diagnosis is always welcome! Hope she feels better soon! PS, peanut butter on a half piece of bread with the pill folded in the middle, our grey just snarfs it down, hopefully yours will too.

Guest burgerandfrey

It's good news! Acutally I'm a little embarrased. The vet started the examination at her tail and worked up her spine and when she got to her neck Winnie didn't react at all. We kind of giggled saying she was making a liar out of me but then the vet moved her hand and Winnie yelped when she brushed against her shoulder blade. Then the vet noticed a scab under the fur and after shaving some hair off we saw she had a small abcess, probably from some kind of insect bite. I was so relieved I almost started crying-espically after reading other's posts here and what they went through, I was convinced she had some kind of spinal tumor. Some antibiotics and she'll be as good as new. Thanks everyone.

Don't be embarrased. Just be relieved! That's great news :colgate