Prayers For Melody

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

UPDATE 11/27

She's home! I picked her up last night about 9:30 or so. She's resting well and we just have to keep her quiet for a few days...she should make a complete recovery! :yay :yay She looks REALLY bruised as the blood is spreading out, but she's in good spirits.

UPDATE - 11/26 2:30

Melody is still stable and still no longer bleeding. She still has a lot of blood pooled in her neck, though some has moved down to her leg, but the amount hasn't increased and her gums all still look really good and pink. It may take a while for her body to re-absorb all the blood.

She'll probably come home tonight after the 6pm shift change at the vet. She hasn't wanted to eat anything, but I imagine she's probably not feeling well. Thank you for all the prayers and good thoughts. I'm praying she stays stable continues to heal :hope :hope

*********************original post***************

The dogs were all tucked in last night and I was watching TV in bed with Diva (recovering from ear surgery yesterday), when, about midnight, I suddenly heard the GSOD coming from the dining room...I leapt from bed (well, as much as a 6 month pregnant lady can leap), immediately yelling, "calm down, calm down!" But, I heard some snarks and growls. I found Melody barely standing in the sun room, holding one foot up and her back end sinking. I start giving her a once over and find on very tiny wound on her shoulder...no big deal, then I notice two HUGE swellings on her neck. I'm like W T F! We're, literally, 45 seconds from the time I first heard her scream so I knew this was something more than I could handle at home. I muzzled and crated the rest of the crew, got Mel in the van and flew to the emergency vet. Of course, my obvious concern is that she's bleeding somewhere in her neck, even though the puncture I found was on her shoulder.

By the time I get her to the vet, the blood had pooled much lower in her neck/chest area and I could see that I'd missed another small puncture and it was dripping some blood (once I knew it was more than I could handle and was a real emergency, I stopped looking for things). They cleaned her up and applied a compression bandage to her neck hoping whatever was bleeding in there would clot. It clearly wasn't gushing, so their tentative thought was a vein/artery in her neck was nicked.

They kept her overnight and this morning her neck is still really swollen, but all her gums look really nice and pink so it seems she's not losing anymore blood. :goodluck

I noticed this morning that there's a big dent in the drywall over Mel's bed, so she banged her head (?) pretty hard when she jumped up...I still have no clue what caused her to start screaming. (Muscle cramp???)...They'd all been settled down for over an hour and no one was up walking around. My guess is she stumbled over some sleeping dogs after she started screaming and got a sleep startle reaction from them :(

Here's a pic of her neck last night where the swelling was. I didn't get a shot of the small wound on her shoulder, which is minor/superficial and definitely the least of her worries

6405414695_68fd27af4c.jpg

(if there wasn't blood around this, you probably wouldn't even notice the puncture wound)

To top it all off, Ken's been out of the country all week, so this was my last night home alone with them. He's on his way home now and should be home around 5pm...

Edited by KennelMom

I'm so sorry that this happened - pretty scary.

That's quite a bit of swelling - did they check the blood levels? Sometimes when you have a significant blood loss in a short amount of time the total blood volume drops but the proportion of red cells to plasma could stay the same so if you do a an HCT immediately it might be in a normal range .. it's only when fluids are given that the proportion of red cells to plasma drops.

Hope she's feeling better.

Guest KennelMom

That's quite a bit of swelling - did they check the blood levels? Sometimes when you have a significant blood loss in a short amount of time the total blood volume drops but the proportion of red cells to plasma could stay the same so if you do a an HCT immediately it might be in a normal range .. it's only when fluids are given that the proportion of red cells to plasma drops.

The vet mentioned that they were waiting to do the HCT for that very reason. I forgot to ask about the results when I called this morning, but they were going to do another one around lunchtime...I'll probably head down to see her then too.

Holy cow! How frightening! :eek Sending loads of prayers and light to Melody, and kudos to you for keeping your head together to deal with this. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh my goodness, that looks scarey. I hope everything turns out alright.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

If it not one thing............................!!! Wow. Sure hope she's on the mend riteawayquik! Hugs to everybody - that had to be very scary!:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending prayers for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest IrskasMom

Ugh Heather .... it's always something. I suspect,there was a Squabble over something (Sleep Startle )as you said . I hope Melody is feeling better today. Please keep us Updated. :)

The vet mentioned that they were waiting to do the HCT for that very reason. I forgot to ask about the results when I called this morning, but they were going to do another one around lunchtime...I'll probably head down to see her then too.

Hope that you are feeling OK and didn't get to stressed from this.

Wow, that's significant swelling...poor baby. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good thing for Melody that you are who you are. Lots of prayers that things resolve well and that 5:00 and Ken get there very soon!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I hope she is feeling better this afternoon. Good thoughts coming her way.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds