Hi, New Member Here

Guest lharb704

Guest lharb704

Hi, I am a new member here and might never have registered except for a heartbreaking loss last Thursday. Our 4 year old male (a blue brindle) collapsed and died completely without warning. We rushed him to the emergency vet but he was already gone and now me and my wife are trying to make sense of what happened. We'd adopted Troublefree about 10 months ago, he was an ex-racer seemingly in good healthy and had adapted well to 'retirement'. On Thursday, he'd gone out for a brief run as usual then come in to eat. Weather was pleasant about 60 degrees and this was about 8:00 PM. Everything was fine until about 9:00 when he began to spasm slightly as if he had the hiccups although he seemed to be breathing fine. 5 minutes later he was lifeless. My wife and I are devastated as Troublefree was a very sweet dog and although we only got to know him a short time he'd come to be a very important part of our family. The emergency vet had no clue as to what had happened and neither do we. The only thing we can speculate is that he'd had a heart attack. Heat stroke doesn't seem to be possible as the evening was cool and Troublefree had been fairly inactive beforehand.

Has anyone heard of a sudden unexplained death like this or have any speculation at what might have happened? Any comments would definitely be appreciated.

Lonnie

I have no experience with what you are describing. But I am so very sorry that Troublefree is gone. How devastating. I'm sure others with far more greyhound experience will chime in. Again - I'm so sorry. GodSpeed Troublefree.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I do not have any similar experiences or advice to offer, but I did want to offer my condolences on your loss. Run free Troublefree! I'm so sorry that you had to go through such an awful experience with your boy.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I have no ideas or thoughts as to what happened but my heart goes out to both of you. So very sad especially when it is sudden and your grey was so young. I am sure there are some GT folks that will give you some information. Godspeed TroubleFree......your time with the family that loved you ended way too soon.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Yes, I had a 5 year old who was lying on the cement, in the shade and my husband gave him a pat and went to paint the garage. @) minutes later he stopped to pat Teddy again and he was dead. No sign of seizure, stroke so I did think it was his heart, either the electrical system or a clot in a major coronary artery So devastating and I am so sorry for your loss.

I had some friends whose little girl did the same thing. She walked outside to go potty and fell over and was gone. Her vet like yours speculated it was a heart attack. It doesn't happen that often and is devastating when it does. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sorry for your loss...so sad it has to be your first post. I also knew a couple with a grey that was young and collapsed and died. Again, no idea why. How terribly sad.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh, how heartbreaking :cry1 You must be absolutely devastated... I am so very, very sorry. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

So sorry for your loss, Lonnie. Sudden, unexplained deaths are unusual, but do occasionally happen in dogs. As others have mentioned, sudden deaths are often due to cardiovascular issues. Some possibilities include a heart attack, cardiac arrhythmia, ruptured aneurysm, or embolism.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest twogreytkids

A friend lost her 5 year old girl very suddenly, too. She was doing her zoomies around the yard, went to the back door and collapsed. She was gone.

Her vet speculated that it was probably heart related.

Marcy

Guest lharb704

Thanks all for the kind comments and thoughts, we miss Troublefree and they help more than you know. My wife and I are long time dog owners, volunteers at two local rescues and all of our four-legged "kids" have been adopted rescue dogs. This was our first greyhound though and this kind of experience has never happened to us before. Some reading I did seemed to imply that *maybe* greyhounds where slightly more susceptible to heart trouble then other breeds but it's not very clear. Anyway, after some initial reluctance, we are going to eventually consider adopting another. They really are very sweet and gentle souls.

-Lonnie

Guest BrianRke

Im so sorry for your loss. I had a 9 month old die suddenly several years ago. I had a necropsy done and was told it was a congenital heart defect. Im sure you are devistated as I was.

Please consider adopting another greyhound when you are ready. They are amazing!

Welcome to the forum, Im just sorry it was under such sad circumstances.

Oh Lonnie, I'm sorry to have to welcome you to our forum for such a tragedy. I lost a 5 yr old to liver disease. Not anything like what you went thru, but the loss of a young dog is just devastating no matter how you look at it.

The only way to maybe get an answer is a necropsy. That may not answer what happened, but it's the best chance. especially if it was a heart defect.

I'm glad though that you're considering giving it another try. The little girl (Onyx) I adopted right after I lost my 5 yr old Topaz, lived to be 15 1/2.

Guest verthib

Perhaps it had something to do with him running and then eating right after. They should not have exercise right before or after eating. I am so sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss, Lonnie. Sudden, unexplained deaths are unusual, but do occasionally happen in dogs. As others have mentioned, sudden deaths are often due to cardiovascular issues. Some possibilities include a heart attack, cardiac arrhythmia, ruptured aneurysm, or embolism.

:nod

I lost my first greyhound suddenly like this. He was sleeping in the living room, made an odd sort of whining sound, and died. In my shock, I didn't think to have a necropsy done to determine the cause, but a veterinarian friend of mine said it was likely one of the above and nothing could have been done to prevent it.

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. I know all too well the shock and pain you're feeling. :grouphug

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Oops. Double post.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so very sorry. I lost my girl suddely, though not as suddenly as you, five years ago. I left home that morning with a happy, healthy greyhound. By that night she was gone. It is truly heartrending.

As so many others will tell you, the best way to heal your heart is to bring another grey home and give all that love you have to another. You are not replacing Troublefree, just honoring him by sharing that love.

So sorry for your sudden loss.

We lost a young Doberman to some sort of sudden Cardiac distress a few years ago.

Dobes are very prone to serious cardiac issues.

However, Greyhounds are not 'known' to have heart issues.

Our vet said that of all large breed dogs, Greyhounds are the healthiest...not much cardiac disease, no hip displasia/ Crutiate issues.

Bloat of course is something to be on the lookout for, as with all deep chested dogs, but your dogs case does not 'scream' Bloat to me.... We had a Dobe with Bloat once, too.

Hopefully, when you're ready for another canine companion, you will choose another Greyhound!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg