Bloat

Bloat is something we see discussed here frequently, and thankfully it's something that most of us will never have to experience with our dogs. It's important that we are able to recognize the signs of Bloat so we are prepared, should it ever happen.

This video is an Akita, in distress from bloat. It's worth the watch. The Akita was lucky and survived.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I kept thinking in my head, put down the darn camera and get the dog some help. I'm glad the pup survived. I knew the symptoms but have never seen them and hope I don't ever again.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I had never seen it either, except when my boy Chico had a partial torsion of his spleen which was quite different because it caused him immediate pain and I rushed him to the vet. By the time I got there, his spleen had "un-torsed". He had an ultrasound the next day and his 5 pound spleen was removed the next day.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I kept thinking in my head, put down the darn camera and get the dog some help. I'm glad the pup survived. I knew the symptoms but have never seen them and hope I don't ever again.

:nod

That was painful to watch, but important to see. Thanks for posting!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Our bloat experience was only a little different - instead of walking around, it was a lot of laying down/standing up. The common factor is that they are clearly uncomfortable. He did the 'try to vomit' thing, too - that's the other common symptom.

Even in the early stages (when thankfully we caught it), the dog is clearly in distress.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

My beloved Sheila survived bloat at age 13. She was at the e-vet from Sat night through Mon morning, they had to tube her twice to release the gas (she had a food bloat) I hope to never see it again. It's great that you posted the video so people know what they are looking for.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Fantastic video!

Having owned Dobies for many years...and one who did not survive a torsion... we are painfully aware of the signs.

She was badly affected by VWD and emergency surgery was just not an option.

edited to say that in thin breeds like Greyhounds and Dobes, the distended stomach is much more visibale than in this heavier-coated Atkita.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest BlueCrab

We lost our GSD Otto to bloat. We knew immediatley what it was, rushed him to the E-vet and struggled thru the next 3 days trying to keep him alive. Broke my heart. Horrible, indeed. Can't view the video (at work) but thanks for posting.

I agree with Susan - this is something every dog owner should be aware of, but sadly so many know nothing about it.

From the "I didn't smack her because I was in a public place" category, I have a very sad bloat story. I won't hijack this thread tho...I'll put it in "off topic" or perhaps "soapbox" is the better venue.

Bloat/GDV and the resulting DIC is what killed my beloved soulmate Slim. He was treated VERY early in the event-didn't matter. DO NOT wait for a distended or bloated appearing abdomen-his NEVER got that way. He just appeared slightly off- a little weak in the hind end- and since I am a mother hen and take no chances I raced him to the evet anyway never dreaming it was anything serious. It didn't matter that he got there so early either. I now think it is more or less a death sentence regardless. He suffered a great deal with the surgical intervention because he coded and they had to revive him etc etc and reverse the pain meds to do it-they told me this. If only I had known I could have spared him that pain....but Slim ...well you'd of had to know him. He was such a fighter, loved nothing more than a fight and I'm glad it worked out that he had his chance to fight. Fact is he should have died when he was starved as an outdoor pup and had actually been taken to a vet for euthanasia then, before said vet called USA DOG & they rescued him and he came into my life. He had to fight with other dogs including a Rotty to get the occassional rat or mouse to survive on in those days. He did it. He survived. I was hoping he would win & survive against the odds again again. But he didn't beat bloat. Getting too emotional..gotta sign off.:weep

Guest FordRacingRon

That was painful to watch,,,yt should probably be required viewing for anyone that has never seen it,,like myself. So terrifying,,the thought of it.

Guest verthib

I have to say that during the time they were video taping they could have been driving to the vet. Seems odd to just tape and do nothing. Thankfully he lived.

Thank you for posting the link. It was painful to watch but I now I hhave some idea of what it looks like.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

After Mandy had her bloat scare, I did quite a bit of research and found this excellent reference chart from the Scottish Deerhound Club: Bloat Chart . I printed a copy and keep it handy just in case.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Our bloat experience was only a little different - instead of walking around, it was a lot of laying down/standing up. The common factor is that they are clearly uncomfortable. He did the 'try to vomit' thing, too - that's the other common symptom.

Even in the early stages (when thankfully we caught it), the dog is clearly in distress.

as a lot of you know, both our Nube AND Rainey bloated...both survived (thank GOD!) but neither presented exactly like that -- neither swelled. Nube just had the retching and vomiting (and was uncomfortable) and Rainey kept play bowing and arching her back (and was clearly in discomfort -- we thought it was her pancreatitis acting up!). No matter what if you think something's wrong, GET THEM IN!

thanks for posting this! And yes, if you read the comments below, the dog had just arrived at the foster house and they were filming that, didn't even know he was in bloat. Thankfully he survived.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 1 month later...

I'm not seeing any link to a video.

it's in the oroginal post...just click on the word BLOAT

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Steev43230
it's in the original post...just click on the word BLOAT
Ah, there it is! I could not see it before because I got to the post by way of a search.