My Poor Rubyjewels...

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

She's at home, my poor little Frankenstein girl. The vet did a really nice job of putting her back together; but she is hurting and can't settle. I just gave her a tramadol. She came home with $117 worth of pills; Baytril, Clindamycin, Rimadyl and Tramadol. I figure if we can get through tonight we'll be doing pretty well. The doc said ordinarily she'd be in the hospital for 1-2 nights on a pain drip; but he thought she might do better at home and knows we are competent to take care of her. I have his on-call # if she starts to exhibit real pain symptoms, we can take her in and get her an IV drip. I'd post a pic but she looks pretty awful. I'll wait a couple of days. :(

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad she's home. I hope she settles, and I also hope she heals quickly and well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor baby. Glad she's home and praying that she (and you) have a restful night. It sounds like your vet did the best he knew how to help her.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest avadogner

We are crossing our paws, bowing our heads and sending prayers to your family. So sorry this accident happened and she heals quickly.

-ava & augie's mum

I'm sorry this happened and it brought back memories of the tragedy that happened to Iberia. I am glad to hear though that Ruby is doing well. I'll be sending lots of healing thoughts her way for a quick healing and recovery and a :grouphug for you.

The laser treatments sound very interesting and promising. I'm very interested in hearing how well they help.

Guest FullMetalFrank

It's turning out to be a sleepless night, for me at least. Little girl ate a peanut butter sandwich on hazelnut bread for dinner and a biscuit for her evening snack; I got another tramadol in her at around midnight and she is finally settled and getting a little sleep. She only cries when she has to switch positions. I know she has to be in pain; but I think we are managing it. Now hopefully I can calm down and get some sleep, too, It's been quite a day...

Glad your girl is home and healing. These things can happen in seconds, even while standing right next to them (an experience I would rather not repeat). The first couple of days will be a little uncomfortable for her but I am sure you'll see her perking back up again soon. Your vet sounds wonderful and very greyhound savvy. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm glad you girl will be okay and is home now.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Glad to hear she is home. It's nice to hear of a vet who understand the healing power of being in your own home. Hope both of you got some sleep last night. Be sure to get some rest today as you are able.

:grouphug Sending gentle hugs for everyone.

Guest FullMetalFrank

We all just got up this morning; I sent Neon and Chelsa out to potty and gave the JoodleBug all her pills, which she took like a trooper! Brought the other kids in, got her out and she went out for a nice, l-ooo-nnn-ggg pee! Then back inside for her morning biscuit (I had yo use it to bribe her back in her X=pen :() but now everyone is settled again and I am going to nap some more! :) :) We did finally get some sleep last night/this morning. She's doing good; a whole lot more perky today.

Glad she's feeling better today.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Those sort of things are really nerve-wracking even without the history that you've been through with Iberia. It sounds like she's already well on her way to recovery and in a few weeks she'll be back to 100%. Hugs to everyone.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest bonnebike

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully things heal up OK.

When Mary caught herself on the van door she had an L-shaped flap that the e-vet cut back to make sure of viable skin so now she has a massive scar. Of course it doesn't bother her, but you wonder if it couldn't have been different.

Best of luck to you.

Guest azlorenz

I'm so very glad Ruby is doing OK. And you've gotten some sleep. With those sweet innocent faces it is so easy to trust them even when we know better. :grouphug:grouphug to all of you.

Guest Swifthounds

If she's in pain still you might want to ask for Gabapentin. Vets don't usually think to give it for skin tears, but it worked wonders for my girl when tramadol wasn't cutting it.

Oh Robbie!I remember your first nightmare very well. I can just imagine this has got you in a tizzy. I'm glad to read that things are looking towards a very positive outcome.

Me, too. Thank goodness this has turned out so much better. Hugs and kissies to your little girl.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE