Smokey (C's Smoker)

montgomery2524

On March 9, 2007 we welcomed Smokey to our family and were graced by his beauty, strength and love unlike any other greyhound. Sadly Smokey went to the bridge yesterday. Smokey developed cancer about 9 weeks ago. It was defined as Malignant Histiocytic sarcoma and was in his spleen, intestines, abdomen and possibly his lungs. He was a trooper and did have two rounds of chemo. We knew it would not buy us time but would hopefully make him comfortable for awhile. Wednesday he would only eat two bites of food and was awake most of the night panting. Thursday morning he did not have energy to even stand for his morning constitution. His gums were so pale and he was ready to be free of this sickness. Although we were NOT ready to let him go we knew we had to. So with many tears and heavy heart we said goodbye as he slipped away to be with the others running and playing. He can now see all the beauty and all his friends that have already gone before him.

Please enjoy these pictures of my baby boy.

Smokey came through Charlotte with a group of greyhounds on their way to Florida. This is our first picture of him. Notice the red ball that Desta is holding. Smokey never went without his ball. Smokey went blind about two or three from PRA and this ball was his safety toy.

100_0057.jpg

We fell in love with him (as did many others) and he and his ball were adopted by Rick and I. Smokey taught us to slow down and enjoy whats around you. He had such a hard life in the beginning and he gained much strength from that. He was not afraid of anything or anyone. He went to lots of greyhound events and never met a stranger.

Smokey LOVED his stuffies and would arrange them every day to the same place he had them the day before.

2008_0118Dogs0088.jpg

Although he loved his stuffies he wasn't above the gutting of the toys.

2009_0428Spring0005.jpg

2009_0509Spring0022.jpg

He traveled lots of places with his traveling buds, Jasmine and Maggie-Mae. He enjoyed Mountain Hounds, Beach Bound Hounds and Sandy Paws as well as numerous beach trips and mountain visits.

Mygroup2.jpg

And despite his being blind he would kick up his heels and run in the yard. Trusting the others to tell him which way.

Smokey3.jpg

Smokey loved a good nap if it meant curling up or stretching out.

Smokeychair.jpg

ZZZZzzzzz.jpg

Our house won't seem the same without our baby boy. We love you Smokey. Give our love to all the others and enjoy running and playing at the bridge.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 He was a special boy.

Godspeed Smokey.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh Lynda, I'm so very sorry to hear about Smokey's passing. He was our source of inspiration when Emmy lost her sight. He had such a full, happy life. My heart goes out to you. Godspeed Smokey.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry for your loss. Smokey was a very handsome boy & looks like he had a full & happy life with his family. Godspeed Smokey! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

My eyes are leaking. I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful, sweet boy. :grouphug

Godspeed Smokey and collect as many stuffies as you want to, the supply is endless. :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry for your loss. Smokey was very special, indeed. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

What a lovely tribute to a brave and handsome boy. I'm so sorry his time came now. :( But he had a wonderful life with you!

:gh_run:f_white

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm so sorry your handsome boy had to leave.

Rest well, Smokey.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Part of me wants to cry, and part of me is so incredibly happy you guys found each other. I guess I'll cry, then laugh?

Such a sweet, sweet boy. I thought of him as I cleaned poop out of Grace's paw just the other night. Told her if a blind boy could stay out of it, why couldn't she?

Sending my sympathy that he had to leave :f_white (remember, it's not forever and how sweet it will be when he can see you :wub: )

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Told her if a blind boy could stay out of it, why couldn't she?

:rolleyes: He was the only one of our gang that could avoid all poop in the backyard. He would be trotting along and suddenly take two short steps to the right or left. Who needs sight when you have a bionic nose.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge