Fungal Bone Infection Or Osteo

TwiggysMom, when Phoenix was first diagnosed with osteo, somebody here on GT suggested that I have a plan, just in case something happened, as I also live alone. That was very good and important advice. I made sure that I always had access to a friend to help out in case something happened and I had to take Phoenix to the vet. Maybe you can look into doing the same.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3) The reasons for not doing amp/chemo would mostly be that it would be hard for me because there is no one to assist, I work full time, and it would be inconvenient for several weeks or months. That just doesn't cut it as an excuse as far as I'm concerned.

I just wanted to address this point since I work full time, am away from my home 10-12 hrs/day and it's just me. A middle-age old lady.

I did go the amp route. Luckily I had vacation planned that long weekend so instead of going to Dewey Beach I went to OSU for the surgery. My Dima was 12 yrs old, and I wanted their professional opinion if she would be able to handle being a tripod.

I was able to work from home the first two weeks post-op and after that she was fine. She had already decided she preferred her ramp (which I built) to go outside (I have a dog door). But in essence she rebounded quite quickly and I did feel comfortable leaving her during the day with my other three. But it was a very balanced pack. I had no fear that anyone who bulldoze into her.

It is a very personal and hard decision to make whether you go pain management or amp. I don't want to sway your decision, but I did want to clarity this point for you.

Good luck to you. And remember......whatever you do, you're doing it because you love her. So no decision will be wrong.

Well, I got the email from Dr. Marin this morning: “Unfortunately there is a lytic (destructive), lesion in her distal radius (The lower part of the front leg bone, above the wrist joint), the lesion is compatible with a primary bone tumor, a needle aspirate will confirm if it is osteosarcoma.”

I wasn’t sure whether it was necessary for me to get the FNA for confirmation of which type of bone cancer prior to booking surgery. I did call the booking number and was told that they have availability next Monday and Wednesday. Because I hadn’t heard back from Dr. Marin about my follow-up questions, I didn’t book it at the time.

Dr. Marin got back to me this afternoon and told me that they would do the FNA there and make conclusive diagnosis the same day, then they would book the surgery “later in the week”. She told me to email Ashley to schedule, but probably because it was so late I didn’t hear back yet. Dr. Marin did say that she thought we could start Monday. I’m wondering if I should just drive out and camp out there Monday to see if they can get us in? (I’m about 6.5 hours away, so it’s not your typical day trip, but it could be done). Anyone know what “later in the week” means? Because of how much time I’m going to have to take off work, I’d prefer not to burn half a week just waiting to get into surgery. Of course, I could drive home and back again, but that’s not quite ideal either.

The rest of my plan is falling into place. (Well, I haven't exactly received permission to take 2 consecutive weeks off work, but too bad). Foster Essie goes to her new foster home tomorrow. I have a kitty sitter pretty much lined up, and my sister and parents are coming out Sunday for moral support and to help me get my house set up as best as possible. I’m going to set up both my downstairs room and my living room, and then see what works when we get back. The biggest downside of the living room is that it is upstairs, but I could let Twiggy use my balcony as her potty area, or even the x-pen if she decides she doesn't like being carried. I really don’t care about cleaning up after her, as long as she is comfortable.

I have to pack stuff for Twiggy & me, assemble an emergency leg break kit :( , meals, TREATS!, water, etc. for the trip. I need to bring some projects to distract me while waiting for everything to transpire. I also want to compile a list of e-vets along the route just in case :( .

Tomorrow I’m going to get rugs, runners, stair treads, and stock up on groceries. And clean, clean, clean. (after bringing Essie to Wisconsin).

Also, my 20 year old niece who has worked at a vet’s office for the last 4-5 years will be able to come down and spend some time with us afterward to help out, and may even be able to watch over her for a while so that I can slip in to work from time to time. OH, and my vet’s office has preliminarily agreed to administer the chemo, so things do seem to be falling into place. Man, it has been a busy and awful week.

Now I have to hope, hope, hope that she doesn’t break her leg before we get there. Fortunately, I live next to my vet’s office, and have two e-vets within 10 minutes. I also would have no trouble carrying her down to and into the car. So I think I’m prepared for the worst case scenario. Once Essie is moved, I won’t have to worry about Twiggy getting pounced and body slammed, so we are really close to being past that issue, too! I’m in action mode right now, crying comes later.

Jane, I’m emailing you. :) I will need to figure out where to stay (although I don't mind sleeping in my car if I have to)

And MP_the4pack, it's good to know that another full-time working, middle-aged old lady can do this on her own! I'm in good company! :colgate

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I'm so sorry for the bad news. Seems like you've done your research, andI hope that you can follow through with your plans. Do you have any questions at all? I didn't go the amputation route because Phoenix was 11.5 years old when he was diagnosed, but I do know how stunned and numb you must feel about now.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I've made the trip to OSU many times (8 hours for me). I like to stay at the Varsity Inn North. Clean, quite and dog friendly. The hotel is only mintues from the hospital. Things will fall into place once she's admitted.

She'll have the best care there! Keep us posted!

Edited to add that there is a Red Roof close by too (but, I do prefer the Varsity)

Edited by tbhounds

On my phone so limited in what I can type, but wanted to just say I'm so sorry. Obviously I suspected osteo here, but I was just hoping it wasn't. :(

I will type more soon, but my only advice to you is to see how soon they can get you in for surgery, forget the FNA unless they can do it at the same time. Many people do the amp based on OSU's dx and get confirmation post amp.

And damn do I hate that word unfortunately. I will never forget the feeling I had when I read those words. :cry1

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry to read of the osteo diagnosis. Twiggy is in the best possible hands at OSU. Hoping that all goes well for her. Sending you both a hug. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Wendy,

I am very sorry for the answer you received from OSU however you had somewhat prepared yourself for it which is good. The shock when you have not considered it is just that, very shocking.

I concur with Jen again. I believe as you have chosen the amp & chemo path, you should get Twiggy in for surgery post haste. The FNA is useless in my opinion at this point as that is what we did for Charlie. We had his amp done the next day after dx as FNA's truly are not reliable enough and time is a wasting. They did a biopsy on his leg at Colorado State after it was amputated and that is when it was confirmed.

If you have any questions at all concerning amp & chemo, please feel free to PM me or send an e-mail to kyle241_2000@yahoo.com. It sounds like you are a very organized person and have thought through most everything plus you have reached out to Jane. We will keep you both in our thoughts and hope you can get into surgery as soon as possible. Please give Twiggy a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Crap :(

I also went the amp route w/out the FNA - they do a biopsy after for confirmation. Our vet thought there was no point because there was really nothing else it could be - not sure if this is the same for you or what.

Very sorry but you're in good company, for whatever that's worth here! My thoughts are with you guys :(

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

So sorry for that news. Impressed at all the thought & planning you have gotten together so quickly. May it all go as smoothly as possible. Will still hope FNA does NOT confirm osteo but if it does you will be in the right place.

All the best to you both as well as those coming to help you out.

I will say that we did the FNA...the results were "a sarcoma of some kind"...so, given that and what others have said, it does seem that the FNA can be somewhat unreliable. OSU looked at the xrays and said that it looked like osteo, so that's what we based everything on.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Wendy, I"m so sorry to hear of her diagnosis :( :( :(

I will pray that all goes well with her amp and her recovery. Both Nube and Rainey had bloat and had to have surgery, for both we moved everything to the middle (ground) floor since they couldn't do stairs, etc. for 2-3 weeks -- and they were never alone either time until everything was healed up....it was tough but doable. Yours is tougher, since losing the leg will add additional hurdles once healed but I know how well these guys do! Like Dr. Couto is fond of saying, God gave them 3 legs and a spare :)

I'm not sure where in Chicago you live but if you need ANY help, please let me know.

sending hugs from me, Bruce, Nubers and Mr. LareBear. :grouphug:hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sending a lot of good wishes and healing thoughts to Twiggy and you. I think having the biopsy done with the amp is a smart idea. Our vet was not able to get a FNA of Sirocco's tumor. He warned me that getting a regular biopsy could stimulate the tumor to grow quickly. I had to take the chance since Sirocco's xrays were not typical for osteo. He had his biopsy on Friday and by Sunday the tumor had at least doubled in size.

We decided even before the biopsy that we would do pain management only. Sirocco had a lot of separation anxiety and I just couldn't put him through the trauma of being away from us and our other greys.

Please keep us updated.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Wendy, One thing I had with my Diamond was that when she was discharged (we went to OSU too from NJ), we got home and she was already starting to feel too good and tried to do things she wasn't able to do. Like stairs.

So, if you're thinking you're going to have a dog that you have to carry, and lift and whatever, you may be surprised that you need a sling to SLOW her down.

I would say by the weekend following her surgery she was not having anything to do with the car ramp (the ramp to the outside back yard she used exclusively) but to get into the SUV, she hopped in by herself. She told me she wasn't an old lady invalid.

But I did make her do the ramp coming out. Luckily I never liked my girls jumping constantly from that height so all of them learn to wait until the ramp is in place before they exit the SUV. That's just standard.

You have all my prayers and white light coming in your direction for an uneventful surgery and recovery.

Any news or updates?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Any news or updates?

Wendy and Twiggy are at OSU. I believe Twiggy is scheduled for an amputation on Tuesday. Wendy's sister has joined her on the trip for emotional support. I don't know if they have internet access during their trip. I hope it is okay with Wendy that I am posting this.

Jane

We will all keep our fingers and paws crossed hoping for a successful surgery.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks for updating Jane. :goodluck for Twiggy today.

Prayers for Twiggy.

Know you are not alone. So many of us have made this journey multiple times.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

sending many prayers to you all :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hello from Ohio everyone!

Twiggy had her surgery this morning and is spending the afternoon in ICU recovering. They told me the surgery went well with no complications.

I got to see Amanda yesterday, and Dr. Cuoto spoke to me as well. He told me that her tumor looked very well contained which he said was very unusual and good. He also told me that he recently completed a study which showed that osteosarcomas occurring in the distal radius have the most favorable outcomes. His comments were very encouraging.

I may get to visit Twiggy tomorrow, if they think it would be good for her. I hope so!

Jane, thank you for giving the update. I am dealing with a rather cantankerous internet connection here, so I haven't been able to get on as much as I'd like.

Thanks to everyone for your well-wishes!

Wendy

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Continued good thoughts for Twiggy :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--