Knuckles Mom Is Finally At Peace

Guest CorbysMom

Guest CorbysMom

This is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever had to post. Kathy Van Hemert - GTer Tilliesmom, AKA Knuckles Mom - lost her battle with metastatic breast cancer at 5:58PM Friday, July 29. She was surrounded in love by her husband, son, five greyhounds and two Italian Greyhounds.

I can't even begin to express how heartbroken I am. I keep thinking of all the fun we had, all the trips we took, the surprise birthday party I had for her, taking her on her first trips to Atlantic City and Medieval Times, seeing the Dalai Lama together...Kathy pushing me into the ocean at Dewey, naming me Effen (it's kind of my favorite word), then being delighted that she found a bottle of vodka with the same name, her calling me a musical savant and trying to get me on Don't Forget the Lyrics so we could both be rich - she was going to be my agent :P , me making fun of her for being a jewelry whore and having more shoes than Imelda Marcos and the obligatory FU she would shoot at me...she's been the Peter Pan of my life. So many, many more memories and adventures. I just cant imagine what life will be like without her. I dont want to.

If memories truly do keep a person alive, then Kathy will be vibrant for the rest of my life. I'll never, ever forget this wonderful woman with the huge laugh, huge smile and huge heart.

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love." -Washington Irving

I love you, Kath. Take care of our babes at the Bridge.

223756_2296091204694_1321511056_2742695_1086269_n.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry she had to leave. My heartfelt condolences to her family and all her friends.

Godspeed, special lady.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is beyond sad. Kathy watched my Sabrina's brother Roy & his sister Grace while their mom Judith battled cancer.

Grace & I shared a birthdate 9/7 unfortunately Grace lost her life to osteo on 9/14/99.Judith got better for awhile.

She adopted Contessa, than Judith's cancer came back. Contessa & Roy went to stay with Kathy while Judith fought the cancer. Osteo sent Roy to the bridge on 7/9/10. 7/9 is the same date my father died. Judith lost her battle on 10/15/10. I was suppose to met Kathy at Dewey last year but didnt. She had gotten the news that her cancer was back & we didnt met.

:angelwings Grace, :angelwings Roy, :angelwings Judith,

:angelwings Kathy I hope you have all hooked up & are well again.

:brokenheart Sabrina

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

my heart is breaking

kathy and i go way back

we meet years ago with the rest of the "old " aol gang-nancy,amber,janie, harry, kims, lisa, donnamarie etc

gussie was at the grateful greyhounds fall ball years ago and when lisa told kathy about her kathy immediately said she was ready for that little girl

kathy found out we adopted myron she found out they were litter mates

we never could figure out what our relationship was were so were co mom's we guessed

when christine of greyhound rehab and rescue told her about knuckles well you all know the rest

kathy is taking care of our bridge angels and partying with leah, julie and sally

hugs to nancy and amber

Iris

www.ligc.org

:cry1

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. Your tribute is lovely. Friends like that are priceless.

Edited by BootsyCollins
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest CorbysMom

This is beyond sad. Kathy watched my Sabrina's brother Roy & his sister Grace while their mom Judith battled cancer.

Grace & I shared a birthdate 9/7 unfortunately Grace lost her life to osteo on 9/14/99.Judith got better for awhile.

She adopted Contessa, than Judith's cancer came back. Contessa & Roy went to stay with Kathy while Judith fought the cancer. Osteo sent Roy to the bridge on 7/9/10. 7/9 is the same date my father died. Judith lost her battle on 10/15/10. I was suppose to met Kathy at Dewey last year but didnt. She had gotten the news that her cancer was back & we didnt met.

:angelwings Grace, :angelwings Roy, :angelwings Judith,

:angelwings Kathy I hope you have all hooked up & are well again.

:brokenheart Sabrina

Grace, Roy and Tessa...more memories of this wonderful woman.

Kathy stayed at Judith's apartment when the decision was made that Kathy should adopt Roy and Tessa. She called me and asked if I could pick the 3 of them up in NYC and take them to CT. My son and I drove from NJ to the upper west side at 6AM.

I have a Chevy Venture van. Not a small van by any means. I'm telling you, the amount of things that Roy and Tessa had completely filled my van to the rafters! Kathy, Roy and Tessa crammed into the car after every one of their belongings were shoved in. Kathy sat on crap on the floor so the greyhounds would each have a seat to be comfy on. That was Kathy.

Another greyhound memory: I drove to Kathy's house in CT, picked her up and drove to Toronto to get 2 greyhounds who were being dumped by their owner, who had been a mutual friend of ours. One of the greyhounds was in such bad shape that we were in tears. Kathy adopted her, got her healthy and loved her to the very end. That was Kathy.

But she still threw me in the ocean, and she was still a Smrtas. B) That's what I loved the most about her...

Guest jettcricket

Oh no...how heartbreaking. I met her at Dewey last year for the blessing of the hounds....lovely woman. RIP beautiful lady. :brokenheart

I'm so sorry. My sympathies to her friends and family.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry. Just the other day I watched the video of Kathy (I think it was her) and Knuckles on the "Morning Show". Kathy, her family and friends will remain in my thoughts for a long time.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest CorbysMom

I'm so sorry. Just the other day I watched the video of Kathy (I think it was her) and Knuckles on the "Morning Show". Kathy, her family and friends will remain in my thoughts for a long time.

Kathy and Knuckles

Knuckles was the big mouth who "talked" through the entire segment. Kathy was so embarrassed. :)

Edited for spelling

Edited by CorbysMom

Guest redreed

It is with tears that I send my sympathies. Kathy was a remarkable woman who touched so many. Her strength and joy sent a message to even those who'd never had the pleasure of meeting her, including me.

God bless and may you find peace and joy with the Angels.

I'm so sorry Nancy. My condolences to her family as well. Godspeed Kathy! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis