Greyhound Therapy Dogs?

Guest HannahZee

Guest HannahZee

I know that dogs as a species are fantastic for the therapeutic things in life but what would you, the community, say/think about a greyhound therapy dog?

I have yet to see or hear of one and just wanted to collect some opinions.

Sid is a therapy dog! He visits a nursing home, and also a unit at our local hospital for severe mental health issues. Everybody loooves him!

SidTherapyGGG-1000-2-1.jpg

And I know there are others on Greytalk. :)

Renie was a therapy dog, too. She used to visit deaf-blind people at a Sense educational unit, and sometimes in the community homes. She was adored by all, and was particularly good with a quadriplegic man. They used to lay him down on a mat, and we'd get Renie to lie down with him. He had very, very limited motor skills, bless him, but if we placed his arm around her, she'd snuggle up and let him hug her. He also used to love it if we placed his hand over her heart so he could feel it beat. And once or twice he'd manage to hold bits of her - the joy of a therapy dog is that they don't really care which bit that is!

Deaf-BlindManHoldingDogTail+copy.jpg

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest HannahZee

PERFECT! It's been something i've been interested in for a REALLY long time. :)

Also... This is an odd idea but... I'm a phlebotomist... And as much as I enjoy it... the patients don't always like needles. Providing that my employer is okay with the though of this.. What are your opinions of having a therapy dog in that environment? Something to keep the patients mind off of the needle.

There are a lot of people here that have greyhound Therapy dogs. My Rainy as been TDI certified for the past 4 years. We do all sorts of activities with her, the children's reading programs at area libraries, nursing home and hospice visits, stress relief at the Special Olympics, and also go into the dorms at Central Michigan University for some stress relief for the freshmen before final exams.

My newly adopted hound, Gus (adopted over Memorial day weekend) is currently in training and should also have his certification this fall.

Here is a photo from an area library with Rainy:

dogtakes2.jpg

Therapy dogs CAN sit!

PA300011.jpg

And a couple pictures from the Special Olympics last month .... this was Gus's first time out doing therapy dog work - He's a natural!

P6040099.jpg

P6040101.jpg

And one of Rainy there:

P6040103.jpg

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Pal was a Delta-registered Pet Partner for many years. Segugio is still a registered Partner. The work is incredibly rewarding, for everyone.

Palonthebus.jpg

And greyhounds *do* sit !

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

PERFECT! It's been something i've been interested in for a REALLY long time. :)

Also... This is an odd idea but... I'm a phlebotomist... And as much as I enjoy it... the patients don't always like needles. Providing that my employer is okay with the though of this.. What are your opinions of having a therapy dog in that environment? Something to keep the patients mind off of the needle.

Not an odd idea at all! I think it would be great! Just having a dog in the room is often enough to reduce stress, as I'm often aware one the hospital ward. Theirs is a very calming presence. :)

Sid is on the list for phobia therapy, as was Renie, but we've never been called. Pity, because while they are big dogs, greyhounds are just so good at sitting or lying quietly and not bouncing at people.

Pal was a Delta-registered Pet Partner for many years. Segugio is still a registered Partner. The work is incredibly rewarding, for everyone.

Palonthebus.jpg

And greyhounds *do* sit !

Well, some do! :P

I never ask Sid to, because it wouldn't be fair to a rear leg tripod, and I also I didn't think it fair to Renie (who was extremely reluctant to learn) because she had a huge dropped gracilis. Of the others, my first, Jim, was an excellent and reliable sitter. Susan could probably have learned, but she was sick when we got her and only lived five and a half months longer, and I would have been very, very surprised if anyone could have got Jack to sit. Ranger? Maybe, we'll see!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Greyhounds don't have to sit, some just like to do it :colgate When I call them in from outside and everyone comes running except for Pal, he is in the front yard, sitting, surveying his empire :wub:

Sid is gorgeous, btw :blush

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Maddie is a TD Inc therapy dog and has been since Feb 2006. I got her in Oct 2005 and found out about the testing 2 days before. I am suprised that she passed as part of the test is the dog being separated from the owner for several minutes - she had really bad separation anxiey at the time but she passed. We have been to assisted living facilites, schools, libraries where kids read to Maddie and we are working on getting into the newly open Ronald McDonald House here in Charlotte. Maddie has even flown on a plane in the passenger compartment as a Therapy Dog when I was flying home over the holidays as I had found out a friend's father was very sick and had a stroke a fewe months before, so when I made made my reservation, I included Madde and we made a special trip to see him and lift his spirits, added bonus that I was able to bring her home with me. It makes me feel great that she loves doing this, Maddie loves people and never has met a dtranger, and I know that it lifted my dad's spirits when he ahd a Therapy dog come and see him after his recent surgery, he went on and on about this dog and its owner, so I know it made him feel better. and he told the guy that his "grand dog" was the TD dog as well!

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest HannahZee

Another odd question.... (To go with the phlebotomy) do you think the right employer would hire us (the team, i mean) I live in Austin so practically anything is possible, but I'd like to hear what you all think. :)

Sabrina has been a registered therapy dog for the last 5+ years. We go to nursing homes, the local hospital & doing reading programs at the a local elementary school & library. She is perfect for the job, the right size & temperment

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Summer is also a therapy dog. The requirements in Canada don't include having to possess a Canine Good Citizen certificate, which is nice. She only had to do the therapy evaluation and was excluded from the sit (she sits but I wasn't going to ask her to do it on a tile floor -- too scary for her) and the stay (not necessary anyway since the dog is never ever off-leash during therapy work). I also had to explain to them about martingale collars as they are required to wear simple buckle collars and I needed an exception for that.

We only do nursing homes and whatever assisted-living facility is attached. I don't want to do hospitals and children don't interest me for either hospitals or the reading program. It's nice that you can choose where you want to go and what you want to do.

As to having a greyhound around during blood collection... personally, I think it would be great. But would it be considered a potential contamination and would it actually be allowed? And don't you often need both hands -- one will now have a leash in it.

Edit: What if your dog tugs sharply on the leash while you are inserting the needle? Or when you have a tray full of collected samples in your hands?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

As to having a greyhound around during blood collection... personally, I think it would be great. But would it be considered a potential contamination and would it actually be allowed? And don't you often need both hands -- one will now have a leash in it.

Edit: What if your dog tugs sharply on the leash while you are inserting the needle? Or when you have a tray full of collected samples in your hands?

This is probably done in a secure room. The dog could be trained to lay on its bed. Just having a dog in the room and the patient being able to see a relaxed dog might be enough to reduce anxiety and stress.

I would agree about having to check contamination issues though.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest HannahZee

Yes, it would be done in a secure area so leash would not be an issue. Although, if it were a 'traveling' thing I'm sure there's SOMETHING to modify this. I know that tying your dog up is never a good idea but perhaps simply... securing the leash? I'm not sure.

As for the contamination issue, as long as i do not touch the dog after i wash my hands and before i remove my gloves i believe it would be sanitary.

Lexie has been a therapy dog for 3 years. She can sit too. She was very very shy when we got her but we worked really hard and she passed. Lexie also does hospice therapy. She enjoys wearing her hats and people love her :colgate

Here is her earning her 150 hours of therapy vounteering

lexie150.jpg

enjoy her hats..the residents do :lol

lexietherapyhat.jpg

lexiebonnet.jpg

h1.jpg

and yep she can sit too :lol

lexiesitcarbday.jpg

Edited by rschultz

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest auforygirl

I could see you having a volunteer with a dog in the room but often therapy dog work is only volunteer the insurance will often state that if you are being paid to be there they won't cover it as it would be covered under the hospitals or your employer's insurance. At least mine does, so if I bring my dog to work with me her being a therapy dog doesn't factor in to it. So if someone trips over her myself and my employer is on the hook, but if I am visiting a library or retirement home and someone trips over her than my insurance through my organization would cover it. (ALWAYS Read the fine print) And most therapy organizations require the animal to be leashed and under your control the entire time. So if you go to the bathroom your dog goes with you. Even if there is another handler there one dog one handler is my organization's mantra if there is another handler that doesn't have a dog they my take over your dog (but how often does that happen) Every now and then if a husband and wife team only have one dog then you have the extra person but not often.

Guest shanesmom

Elton is a therapy dog too and certified through Therapy Dogs International. He likes the seniors best and used to visit. He's older now and I could tell he does not enjoy it like he used to so I don't take him any more.

Robin is a therapy dog too! He just started in March, but he is a natural. He really likes visiting the people in nursing homes. I am hoping to be able to start doing visits at the children's hospital in the fall after we have enough visits to qualify for it with our group. He always gets a lot of attention because he stands out among all the labs, golden retrievers, and smaller dogs we go with.

We really like it so far.... :)

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

My first 3 greys were certified therapy dogs. We used to visit the rehab hospital where I worked, but I did it on my own time & was covered by the therapy dog group's insurance. I really enjoyed it, even though it meant being "at work" on my nights off!

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Jazzy has been a therapy dog with TDI for 4 years now. We visit a local Alzheimer nursing home. They might not remember much but we always hear "The greyhound his here!" each time we go through the doors.

I have been working with the St John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program for nearly 12 years.

Nixon is a Therapy Dog and we visit at the local nursing home...the dementia ward is our favorite place.

St. John requires that the dogs have 40 hours of visiting seniors before they can be tested with kids. Nixon is slowly working his way towards that goal...he will be a fantastic 'reading dog'

He is my 4th Therapy Dog...

The others are Bandit and Billie (below) as well as my last Doberman.

It is the most rewarding volunteer job I have ever done.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea loves her therapy dog work. We worked well together and practiced quite some time to both pass the testing for her TDI certification. We highly recommend it! : )