Osteo Thread

Every trip out to potty is an ordeal-my back is very tired! She will get out to the yard and squat, but I'm learning this is because her back leg is tired, not because she's trying to pee. She did pee quite a lot earlier when my mom was here.

She was whining so I thought she needed to go out just now-we made an attempt but she didn't go.

She's resting again now. It's great that she's home, because I know she's doing better here than she would be at the vet's office, but wow, this is an undertaking. I kind of think that her pain patch might be working against us in the mobility department, but she will have that until Thursday.

It would help a little if it wasn't raining too <_< It's supposed to rain all night and into tomorrow too...yech.

I know that it will get better. Just have to remember that.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, have been using a towel along with her harness. I think I'm just getting so tense anytime she needs to get around and that's what's doing it.

She is very whiny-I think she'd just prefer that I pet her 24/7 :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Is it a bad idea to let her lay on her left side? I'm wondering if that's part of why she's so whiny...

Guest azlorenz

I know I about had a stroke when Flash laid on his amp site but it seems like most of them prefer to do so. Hang in there Kristin. Sending healing thoughts for Pinky (and your back).

Her leg fluid doesn't seem to be helped by walking...in fact her ankle just swells more when she's standing up.

She's also having a hard time peeing. Granted she hasn't been taking in a ton of water so we'll up her intake today. She squatted several times and nothing came out. The last time she squatted, she just had some dribbles.

No poop yet either.

Her leg fluid doesn't seem to be helped by walking...in fact her ankle just swells more when she's standing up.

She's also having a hard time peeing. Granted she hasn't been taking in a ton of water so we'll up her intake today. She squatted several times and nothing came out. The last time she squatted, she just had some dribbles.

No poop yet either.

Wrap her leg in vetwrap before you take her for a walk. That will help move the fluid up. Then remove it when she lays down.

And Dima's first poop was 4 days after her surgery. They didn't want her to leave the hospital until she went. But I had to get back to NJ. She was very cooperative, she left a huge pile somewhere in the middle of Pa. We took a break from the 9 hr drive and she let 'er rip. Good girl Dima.

So....when she's ready you'll have a memorable poop.

No poop yet either.

Wrap her leg in vetwrap before you take her for a walk. That will help move the fluid up. Then remove it when she lays down.

And Dima's first poop was 4 days after her surgery. They didn't want her to leave the hospital until she went. But I had to get back to NJ. She was very cooperative, she left a huge pile somewhere in the middle of Pa. We took a break from the 9 hr drive and she let 'er rip. Good girl Dima.

So....when she's ready you'll have a memorable poop.

I'm sorry, but :rofl

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thank you for that, MaryPat :lol Makes me feel better.

She did have some canned food this morning and a couple of cookies. She wasn't interested in her kibble yet. It's funny-she will tell me when she wants something to eat or drink because she sits up on her elbows and looks at me expectantly :lol

She has closed her eyes all the way and is ASLEEP. This is HUGE! She hasn't really done more than rest since Monday. Seems like her eyes are always open. Finally, she sleeps :)

I think they all want to lay on the amp side. Dude did for sure. Maybe they feel they're protecting their injury. :dunno

Her system is still all messed up from the surgery. As long as she's staying hydrated, I wouldn't worry so much about eating and pooping. Like they said, when she does, it'll be memorable. :rotfl

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just had another good pee, followed by what I can only guess was her attempt to kill me with exercise :lol I think she just wanted to be moving around.

Her bandage change is tomorrow at 8am instead of 5pm-Dr. Less feels that a new bandage that is a little bit looser will help with her leg puffiness.

She has hopped all over the living room furniture at this point-no crying at all today either :yay

Can I convey how amazed I am at Pinky's progress?!? They said Twiggy made amazing progress, but Pinky is blowing her out of the water! (the race is on next year at Gala lol)

You must be exhausted, but you're doing a fantastic job!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I am so pleased as well...thank you SO much. As I said in the beginning, if it HAS to be osteo, we've got the best factors working for us. I really hope it pays off :goodluck

She pooped! :yay

Bandage change tomorrow. Please cross your fingers that everything UNDER the bandage is looking as great as everything else :goodluck

Been gone for a bit but so glad to see Pinky is doing so well!! You go, sweetie!

Berkeley was NOT wrapped at all post-surgery. Interesting to see so many wrapped. He had a seroma at the incision site, and a little bruising, but nothing like some of the other pictures I've seen. Not sure that's just him or the wrap, or what.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

What a great resource, but such an awful club to join. Ugh.

As I posted in my other thread, Gabe was diagnosed yesterday with Osteo just above his front, right wrist. He has hind-end weakness, so our vet does not consider him a candidate for amputation. We've sent his x-rays and the consult form off to Ohio State for a second opinion.

We're looking into limb spare surgery, but I wonder whether his age (10 1/2) and hind-end weakness will make him a poor candidate for that, too. Can anyone recommend a good oncologist in the DC metro who performs them?

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

What a great resource, but such an awful club to join. Ugh.

As I posted in my other thread, Gabe was diagnosed yesterday with Osteo just above his front, right wrist. He has hind-end weakness, so our vet does not consider him a candidate for amputation. We've sent his x-rays and the consult form off to Ohio State for a second opinion.

We're looking into limb spare surgery, but I wonder whether his age (10 1/2) and hind-end weakness will make him a poor candidate for that, too. Can anyone recommend a good oncologist in the DC metro who performs them?

Valerie, welcome even though I wish you and Gabe were not here. I have no experience with limb sparing surgery but have read about or did at least when Charlie was diagnosed in 07/10. I know at the time it was still a little 'experimental' based on the reading I did then but my guess is it likely has come a ways since then. I suggest you reach out to Jen (Neylasmum) or FedX's mum (aka Snakes) as he has seemed to be doing very well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Well crud, Valerie, I'm sorry to hear about Gabe's diagnosis. Perhaps OSU will have some suggestions for you?

We've made an appointment for tomorrow with an orthopedic surgeon to get a second opinion on amputation. If they think his hind end will be unable to handle the weight, we won't do it, but we want to make sure before we totally rule it out.

I think I've moved on from yesterday's depression/denial to anger/advocate mode.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Pinky's bandage change this morning was great, everything looks fine :yay

She ate breakfast happily but kind of picked at her dinner. No poop since last night either...should I be worried about anything? I wonder if her nose hurts-it is a little cracked from being dried out. I did hand feed her a little but she lost interest.

Her breath is terrible after the anesthesia and breathing through her mouth so much...it's a really icky smell, not like bad teeth smell. I'm going to resume her Petzlife spray and see if that helps at all...

I wouldn't do the spray for a few more days. Her breath is bad because she just had major surgery and her digestive system isn't back on track yet. Try giving her a little yogurt or other probiotic to jump start her gut working again. An on-again-off-again appetite is normal for this stage of the game.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well, amp and non-amp alike!

I try not to count the months as I feel like I am cursing our good luck here with FedX, but each month I am more gratefull to still have him here. We have set a new 'goal' of 1yr post diagnosis at the beginning of january :goodluck

That will be an absolutely amazing and awesome 'goal' to reach! May FedX continue to kick osteo butt! :cheers

We havent talked about this with the vet yet-about how much time went by for those of you that went the amp route between the surgery and starting chemo?