My Friend Can't Believe It

Guest greystoked

Guest greystoked

Well, not strictly true.

In the 8-1/2 years Sweetie has been with us, he has barked exactly 6 times... and the last 3 occurred within the last 3 months... single play-barks, issued while he was happily digging in his sandbox, play-bowing, as we watched.

But when a friend recently knocked on the front door and didn't get a response (I was lying down with the fan on, waiting for Advil to kick in), she could not believe that Sweetie did not bark.

Then again, he doesn't roo, even if we encourage him by playing vids of several rooing hounds featured here at GT, even if we both roo to egg him on. He just gives us A Look... the one that seems to say "What is wrong with you?" :rolleyes: Also, his whine will be wasted on the hard-of-hearing. He's a quiet hound.

Of course, this friend is not a dog person, not a dog family. She did recently acquire an adorable ankle-biter, and I must assume the little furball barks at any visit to her house. Good dog! But up till then it was birds, fish and cats.

I guess I should clarify the difference between 'racing hound' and 'guard dog' to her...

...or point out how well he understands the term "retired".

Anyone else have a 'Quiet Man' dog?

George only parks when someone buzzes my door buzzer, or on the very rare instances when someone knocks on the door. Other than that, he's silent.

Almost every other dog in our complex barks at HIM when we're out walking. I can tell he thinks they're idiots.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I wish... instead we have Big, Barking Bonny. She barks at EVERYTHING. She has also taught our others to bark. When I pull into the driveway in the evenings, they all start barking like lunatics before I even get the key into the front door. Ours is NOT a quiet greyhound house.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

We adopted Brooke on Dec 27, 2009. I heard her bark for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Ben barks when people come to the door, which I encourage so that when I'm alone he may scare of any potential trouble. We were outside and Ben barked at someone coming to the gate and Brooke gave out a little bark too. So we're 19 months:1 bark for Brooke.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

They need to come to my house. Maddie barks all the time. I can't get her to shut up. LOL She barks for her breakfast, dinner, if she has to go out, if I am not paying attention to her, if I am on the phone. I think I got a defective greyhound. :colgate

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Rusty barked on occasion, Solo barked once in the six years we had him, and Franny will play bark at me or she will bark when outside and sees deer in the yard. So out of the three she is the most vocal, but still quiet compared to my neighbors yippers.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

My Echo was the exact same way until I brought Diego home. She barked maybe 2-3 times a year. Now Echo barks and runs and plays with the fluffy puppy every morning. My quiet-as-a-mouse girl is now the loudest dog I have. :blink:

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest PiagetsMom

Mirage is my barker and will bark any time someone comes to the door. Piaget will occasionally join in, but if she were an only she'd be the silent type, too. The only time she consistantly barks is when she's playing with Mirage. Other than that, she's very quiet.

Two of mine are very quiet. Dawn only barks when she gets tired of being barked at by other dogs. Ziggy only whines but he whines very loudly. Dawson, well . . . HE LOVES TO BARK! We encourage it sometimes. He barks like crazy when he plays. He barks when we come home. He is so funny. :lol

My Echo was the exact same way until I brought Diego home. She barked maybe 2-3 times a year. Now Echo barks and runs and plays with the fluffy puppy every morning. My quiet-as-a-mouse girl is now the loudest dog I have. :blink:

Seems as if it only takes one to encourage the rest. :lol My house was very quiet (with the exception of Jilly Bean) until Pistol joined the family. He's my barker and he's taught a few of the others to bark also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Beth barks when she's in another room and wants attention, but is too lazy to get off the bed to seek me out. :rolleyes: When she was boarding at my vet they laughed because she'd do it there too -- she is a big favorite and got a lot of personal time with the techs. She only started doing this in the last year or so.

She is also VERY VERY barky when playing -- she will bark at other dogs when she wants them run or play. She is loud and persistent!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Fletcher will sometimes bark at people/dogs/cats/whoknowswhat that he sees outside, but that was all until Sallie joined us. Sallie barks when I come home, when she wants to play, when she wants attention, and she's taught Molly to bark too :rolleyes:

BTW, Sallie's professional name...Speak Volumes :lol

Guest krystolla

Hack only barks in his sleep, well, and once at the dog park when he thought two other dogs were getting too rowdy with each other. I'm so used to a bark-free lifestyle I was kind of in shock when I went through the kennel tour portion of my college orientation -- all those barkers!

Not that Hack is totally quiet, he'll roo, howl, yowl and whine when he gets excited.

We have a non-barker too. Summit only barks in play, so usually at the dog park or greyhound runs. Occasionally when he's feeling frisky at home he'll stand right in front of you and his tail will start going like crazy, and he stands up real tall... and then all of a sudden he'll bark at you, especially if you ask him "what is it!?" in an excited voice. But he never barks at the door or visitors or at other dogs that are barking at him. Crazy dogs running along fences or pulling on leashes barking at him usually results in him completely ignoring, looking over at them excitedly, or whining quietly.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest mirinaaronsmom

My mail carrier didn't even know I had two big dogs until I was on vacation one day and walking them. Very different from my neighbor who at the time had 4 non-stop yappers (boy, am I glad they're gone). Every time we're out walking and pass houses with yappers, I say a prayer of thanks for having such polite, quiet dogs.

Guest BrianRke

They need to come to my house. Maddie barks all the time. I can't get her to shut up. LOL She barks for her breakfast, dinner, if she has to go out, if I am not paying attention to her, if I am on the phone. I think I got a defective greyhound. :colgate

I must have her sister! :lol

I don't think we have ever heard Bee Wiseman bark in the three years we have had her. I have heard Murray bark twice in his three years here. We have very quiet dogs, which is exactly how we like it. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

The only time Lila has really barked is when she wanted me to know she didn't need to be crated when I left.

Other than that all I have heard is a couple little arfs when she was super excited.

Everyone is amazed that she doesn't bark when they come in the house. Unless it is someone she really likes, she doesn't even get out of bed.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I must have her sister! :lol

It drivesme nuts. Breakfast per her Highness was 530am this morning. She has not learned to tell which days are weekend days either. This is something new in the last couple of months, it used to be getting up in the middle of the night to go out. The joys of Maddie - she always is keeping me on my toes and it is never dull at my house.:lol

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

My Talica barked exactly once. The neighboring dog (we lived in a condo building) was bark-bark-barking as he always did whenever his human went out for the evening. All of us usually ignored him pretty well but it was after midnight and he was still yapping away. All of a suden Talica stood up and gave a huge deep "WOOF!" I guess she had had it with him. He didn't shut up but at that point I called his owner on her cell and told her to get home before the nighbors complained about Talica's barking :rolleyes:

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest Ledalia

Odin doesn't bark. We have only heard two sounds from him since we brought him home and both times it was only because one of our other non-dog pets scared him. Lately he has started whimpering a little to let me know when he is ready to get out but other than that he is completely quiet!

Guest manawatugal

Stanley took about 8 weeks to properly bark, once he realised that this was his permanent home and he became territorial to people walking past the house, or other dogs or cats he can see through the gate. He rarely barks in the house just when he's outside, hackles up looking all tough and manly. Doesn't bark when people come to the door. Generally a very quiet breed - I like that, nothing worse than a yappy dog!!

Oh he will bark walking past the neighbour who has two dogs, who started barking at him first and again once he had been with us 8 weeks or so started barking back and really pulling on the lead as we pass their house. Before that he always looked a bit worried ha ha!

Guest greytbookert

I could have Adam come over and teach the art of barking :lol I swear, this boy never did get the memo that greyhounds don't bark!