R.i.p. Sir Alix 2004-2011

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

alix.jpg

Sir Alix was one of my first two chickens. I bought him from my landlord's daughter for $3 in 2004. He was supposed to be a girl, so I named him Allison but called him Ali for short. Once I found out he was actually a boy, I added the X to the end of his name to make it more masculine (not that he cared). The Sir came in later. Alix was an Old English Game Bantam and if I were to show him in poultry shows I would have had to dub him. OEGBs are bred to look like mini fighting cocks. They don't have the temperment of the fighters, but in order to show them one must cut away the comb and wattles. (The practice is losing favor but it was the rule seven years ago). I never did show Alix, but I "dubbed" him anyway - just in name.

Sir Alix was a great little rooster. He was a true gentleman with his hens. Whenever he came accross a tasty treat he would cluck and dance to show it off and let one of the girls have it.

When Sir Alix was a year old, I borrowed a couple of his beautiful tail feathers (cut, not plucked) to decorate the guest book pen for my wedding. I still have the pen with the feathers attached.

He passed away last night. He hadn't been quite well for a couple weeks and had recently had a seizure. There wasn't anything to be done for him and I had made the decision to have him put to sleep, but he passed on his own.

Here are some pictures of him:

Sunbathing with the girls.

howmanychooks.jpg

Here he was in the house (I can't remember why) and woudln't stop crowing, I threatened to stew him, but he didn't take my threat seriously. I think this is my favorite picture of him.

roosterstew.jpg

A fun face shot.

whatareYOUlookingat.jpg

A majestic bird, and sounds like he was a great guy. :heart I'm sorry for your loss :(

I LOVE the picture of him in the stock pot. :lol

I wonder why they'd want them to be comb/wattle-less for shows? You'd think that their size/etc. would factor in to some conformation standards (not that I know ANYTHING about showing animals of any sort.. I don't :D )

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Sir Alix stew made a wonderful photo.

Godspeed Sir Alix.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Fly healthy to the Bridge, Sir Alix. It's obvious from your memorial you were a dearly loved critter.

I agree with everyone--the stew pot shot is a classic.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Wow...he was beautiful.

I'm so sorry for your loss.....It looks like he had one of those special personalities - where the joy and laughter that he brought will stay with you forever. May those thoughts bring you comfort in this difficult time.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your handsome friend.

Godspeed, Sir Alix.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Aww I am so sorry... I had a Bantam Rooster named Sir Percules when I was a little girl (3rd grade), he travelled (in the car) with us when we moved up to Michigan from rural Georgia. I've always had a very soft spot for chickens. Those who say they don't have personalities have never interacted with them. The pot shot was truly a gem. Farewell, Sir Alix -- you were a very special gentleman.

What a character he was! Sweet looking friend. I am so sorry for your loss.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project