Help! Sick Greyhound On A Sunday!

Guest fatesrelease

Glad to hear she's getting the fluids she needs. Hopefully it's just a bad bout of gastritis and she'll be home tomorrow.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone....this was a trying day. Just got back from the vets office. They gave her a bunch of fluids and they are keeping her overnight for observation. They said she had a few levels that were elevated that they want my primary care vet to look at, but her highest and most consistent levels said she was dehydrated-which I knew. Hopefully nothing too serious is wrong, but I feel better now knowing she has some fluids in her and shes being monitored. She hasn't vomited since we brought her there. I hate not having her home and I miss her already, but I'll be picking her up in the AM and bringing her to see the regular vet.

Thank you all for your support! It made me feel good to know I could come here and ask for some advice when I was desperate and worried.

I'm so glad you brought her in. I was going to say the same thing as everyone else - I've been in that exact situation, and things went from bad to worse VERY quickly. He became dehydrated to the point where he started having trouble even just standing up.... and it wasn't like we slow poked our way to the vet. It just happened so fast with the amount of fluids he was losing.

It was a one-time thing for us and so I hope it is the same for you guys and she gets on the mend quickly!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest fatesrelease

Thank you guys. I hope so too. Peace of mind is great, and I'm glad it at least right now doesn't seem to be more serious...but $700 is a lot of money! I hope we don't have to make another trip to the emergency vet anytime soon. I don't have a money tree!

I am glad you were able to bring her in. Hoping she is feeling much better soon.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest Lynnada

So glad you got her in and she hasn't vomited anymore. Hopefully it's just something minor and a one time thing. Yeah, the cost to take her in sucks, but at least you know the dehydration is being taken care of and she's being monitored. Whenever I'm in doubt I bring them in, especially since all my pets are 7 years old and up. I'd rather have the peace of mind and catch something early in the hopes of preventing bigger and more expensive problems later.

Hoping Sarah comes home tomorrow and the news is good. :heart

So glad to see that Sarah is @ the vets, how very scary for you, hoping all goes well and she is in the mend, sending prayers for her quick recovery.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Glad to hear that she is under vet care and the vomiting seems to have subsided. Continued best wishes....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

glad you got her in -- Nube vomited poo-smelling stuff and he was in bloat. I hope they took an x-ray! sending prayers! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

So glad to hear she's being treated, poor little baby. Dehydration is a scary thing. I've never had an animal get dehydrated but I did it to myself once, the day I was released after major surgery. I had to get rushed back to the hospital. It sure doesn't feel good and the IV liquids have such a positive and immediate effect.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

So glad to read your update this morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and Sarah and hope it's nothing too serious. Good luck at the vet today.

And yes, $700 is a lot of money :bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest MyCody

So glad she's in, yeah, $700 is a lot of money. We don't have more than two pups because we can't afford to vet more than two. When did it get so darn expensive!!!!

Hope to hear that she is much better today. Hope you got some rest too.

Good to hear that she is being taken care of at the vet. We'll be waiting for a good news update today! Hope all goes well for Sarah.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just checking for an update!!

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest fatesrelease

Hello everyone! We picked up Sarah from the e-vet around 8 am. She came out prancing like it was no big deal! I then took her for a second look to my primary care vet who looked her over and said "Well, this seems to have been a mystery illness...sometimes we never know what causes things like this". Sarah even had a semi solid poop this morning. We will be feeding her the luxurious chicken and rice meal for the next few days...but other than that she seems to be fine. Also, a good thing was that the bill I got charged was even less than expected! Total from this crazy scare we spent around $500.

I hope that she continues to get better and was in fact some weird fluke thing...but if not I have a great group of people like you to rely on and a great vet!

Thank you all so much for your support and kind words. It really means a lot!

Yes- when we got home we both collapsed on the bed! We just woke up :P

Thank you all again!

Edited by fatesrelease

Wonderful news!!!!

post-12551-1216418977.gif Yes!!! What a wonderful update!! I have been worried sick for you. I am so happy to read that Sarah is doing so well! :colgate:yay

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.