Vocal Greyhound

Otis is adapting to his new life in our home for nearly 2 weeks now, his personnality is coming out each day and he his quite a outgoing greyhound (DH is happy to have a "dog" :lol )

and he is vocal.

Barks when excited and when he plays... barks at squirrels, cats, small dogs...

For now we found this intriging and kind of "fun"... be we want to keep this in control... good thing we are owners and not tennants.

what's you experiences with vocal greys?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Well, I'll first say I have no advice. Crummy reply, huh?!

BUT, I have a chatterbox too. Whenever we stop on a walk, the chatting starts immediately. Must....Keep.....Going.....(apparently). We have not been successful in getting him to communicate in a different manner and as such, will pre-empt the whining / chatting by bringing him close and rubbing his ears. Is he getting what he wants? Not really as we don't start walking...it just keeps him a bit calmer so we can have our chats with neighbors and such. We do find him somewhat obnoxious at times, looking to get his way. We simply do our best to pre-empt the chatting when it's not appropriate.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Beth also barks when playing, and sometimes in the house when she's excited or wants attention -- she can be the loudest, barkiest dog at the dog park! But she isn't a routine or problem barker, and I live in a house, so I don't have any suggestions for you, except not to worry about a problem you may not ever have.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I've heard that you teach the command "Speak" then never "ask" for that behavior. Don't know if it works.

My Daisy is a barker and whiner. She is so gregarious that she cries to people in the next car at red lights because she wants them to pay attention to her. Her littlermate, Morgan, is an even bigger talker from what I've heard. The Mass. peeps who knew her could tell you more. Not sure if her mom is still on here.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

We have Big, Barking Bonny in our house. So much for the theory that greys are quiet dogs. Bonny barks all-the-time - when we pull into the driveway, when she plays, on walks at other dogs, at our neighbors sitting on their deck. If she is barking, saying her name to distract her works for us. I'm interested in seeing the other replies!

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

If he's food or treat motivated, get his attention with a "watch me" command to break the impulse to bark. If you can do this before he starts barking it will help. You can teach a "speak" command, but you do also then have to train a "quiet" command.

He may become less barky as he settles in. Or he may get worse. Sorry!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest UpperHandAndy

We've had Andy 3 weeks tomorrow (WHOOPIE!), and he's started barking too. It's mostly when he's playing, or wanting to play, or when he's telling someone to get away from our fence lol. So far, that's been it....guess we will see how much more vocal he gets. I'm hoping to hear some roooooooooooooooooooooooooos!

I've got one vocal hound--Spirit. He's a little shy and does bark sometimes at unfamiliar people but not on walks, interestingly enough. His barking is mostly of a bossy nature. He barks at me if I don't immediately get up when the alarm clock sounds. He invariably knows when 6PM arrives and starts barking to let me know it is time for dinner. He barks or whines if there is any little thing that he wants or if there is any little thing he is unhappy about. He barks at my sister when she visits and is not actively petting him. He even has a funny sort of a pouty huffy noise he makes to get the attention of anyone who stops petting him.

Now and again his demanding can be a small annoyance but mostly he just makes me laugh! :lol because of that, I've never tried hard to teach him to be quiet.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• 2 months later...
Guest ronansmom

Our new boy Mac (2 years old recently off a Florida track and with us one month) is a barker. His time of choice is the wee hours of the morning, say about 2:00 AM. Since he goes out for a late walk around midnight I don't think the barking is a bathroom call. I think it is more of a "someone play with me" call. Everyone else (humans, canines and felines) is asleep. I say "no" and try not to add to the party, but so far it hasn't deterred him. Any suggestions?

Saint is the most vocal hound I have come across, he will bark, cry, whine (a very shrill whine at that) and carry on until the cows come home. He has learned that he will not get what he wants until he is quiet but that doesn't stop him on the days he talks just to hear his own voice. :rolleyes:

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Ends up my Jimmie is a talker too. Started off with an occasional whimper or whine from another room, now he walks in the room and does it and if I do it back to him....ROOOOO! He likes to patrol the yard too and will bark like a grown up dog!

The absolute funniest thing is when I play a video of him talking...he goes nuts and just sings and sings and sings and then brings me a stuffie lol.gif

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I've heard that you teach the command "Speak" then never "ask" for that behavior. Don't know if it works.

My Daisy is a barker and whiner. She is so gregarious that she cries to people in the next car at red lights because she wants them to pay attention to her. Her littlermate, Morgan, is an even bigger talker from what I've heard. The Mass. peeps who knew her could tell you more. Not sure if her mom is still on here.

That worked for me--it's not you don't ask for the behavior; they understand "speak" so they understand "no speak."

At least my wonder mutt did!

Teaching him what speak meant was hilarious! Me, barking my head off while he looked at me with his head cocked!

Our new boy Mac (2 years old recently off a Florida track and with us one month) is a barker. His time of choice is the wee hours of the morning, say about 2:00 AM. Since he goes out for a late walk around midnight I don't think the barking is a bathroom call. I think it is more of a "someone play with me" call. Everyone else (humans, canines and felines) is asleep. I say "no" and try not to add to the party, but so far it hasn't deterred him. Any suggestions?

Teach him what "go lie down" or "shut up" means!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanking my lucky stars that so far (2-1/2 months since adopting) Annie Bella has woofed - not barked but woofed - 6 to 8 times. My suggestion, which I would do if Annie starts barking, is to give no positive reinforcement. Don't yell. Don't say no-no-no over and over. Don't say her name. Don't pet her. Ignore her if she tries to get your attention. Stand over her and every time she barks inappropriately, gently touch her neck or face to interrupt her barking.

Guest greysmitten

Our girl hardly ever barks! But man, she whines.

The other day, we attempted to get her to roo, but she just looked concerned by our efforts. Mommy and baby relentlessly rooing at a dog: ridiculous hilarity.

Cy thinks he is a GSD and barks at anything that moves outside. Myka barks at everything inside the house. She barks when she wants dinner, she barks when she wants to go potty, she barks when she is playing, she barks in her sleep. In between barking, she talks to us like a malamute, so they both missed the memo on greyhounds being quiet dogs.

Update fo Otis:

He stil whines a lot, nut we figure it out that that's him... wants to always let you know he is there :lol

For the barks we are training for the "speak" and it's doing ok..slowly ;)

still love to bark when excited.

the link dont work :(

Teach him what "go lie down" or "shut up" means!!

It does work! we teach Otis lay down and is he whines at night we just say it and he goes back to his bed :clap

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Riley is my first real loudmouth. Argus was quiet. Tiny could get whiny when he was upset. But Riley cries when he wants food, cries when he wants attention, cries just because. He stands out in the dog run and yodels at passersby on the street in hopes of calling them over to pet him. They reinforce this... they usually do go pet him. He barks when he wants to play. Oy vey.

Raven is silent except for the occasional burp.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest maidmarcia

I don't have much experience with a chatty dog. Licorice only barks A) at the dog park when other dogs are wrestling and he gets excited and B) early in the morning when he wants us to wake up and feed him. He's very quiet which is good considering we are living in an apartment :)

Berkeley has always been a barker. So I taught him to "speak" - no one told me what a bad idea that was!! It just made it worse. Maybe I should teach him "shut up" now. :lol

This is what I have come home to every.single.day for the last 6 years. :lol It starts as soon as the garage door opens!

I love his 'routine'. I know I'm home when I hear the barking! I am also very glad we live in the boonies with no neighbors. :lol

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I had no idea Greyhounds could bark that long and continuously! :huh My Annie Bella woofs and I've heard it only 6 or 8 times since mid-July when she was adopted.

Oh, and that's nothing for him. :lol

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.