How To Get Pills Down Stresses I'll Dog?

Guest lala22

Guest lala22

Any suggestions...chicken didn't work...he doesn't want to eat and it is thundering out and has been all morning

Topic should be stressed, ill dog

Edited by lala22

Have your tried wrapping it in a small piece of cheese? It never gets turned down here. Just make sure that it gets swallowed and your pup doesn;t spit the pill out.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Cheese works well. Wieners. Hunk of canned dog food. Deli meat. Little piece of bread with peanut butter on it. Wedge the pill into something or roll something around it. If your pup is totally not interested because he's so stressed out, just flick the pill down the back of his throat, hold his jaws sort of shut (leave some slack), rub his throat and wait for the tongue to come out and lick his nose. That means he swallowed.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Put the pill down his throat at the back of tongue, hold snout shut and rub his neck so he swallows. We don't put pills in things. We open their mouths and just do it. It works!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Swifthounds

Put the pill down his throat at the back of tongue, hold snout shut and rub his neck so he swallows. We don't put pills in things. We open their mouths and just do it. It works!

This. Then praise and offer a treat. Pilling and then treating teaches that pill takig leads to good things. Hiding pills in food just teaches a dog that yummy things are suspect - not what you want in an ill dog.

Guest FawnFan

Last year I had a fear of thunderstorms girl. She started getting upset at the first rumble of thunder off in the distance. She then retreated upstairs into the bedroom into her bed. At that point she was "over the cliff", so to speak, as far as emotions and adrenalin were concerned. Nothing worked to get any type of pills in her at that point.

She also was my cancer patient last year and eventually after trying many different things to hide the pills (cold peanut butter, cold almond butter, liverwurst, spray cheese, hot dogs, little meatballs, cheese, cold baked chicken, warm baked chicken, boiled ham, canned tuna balls, pill pockets) I had to learn to put it down her throat. The best way that worked for me and didn't cause me a lot of stress was to stand perpendicular to her, usually it was her left side, then with the pill in my left hand (less dominant hand), I'd quickly pry open her mouth just enough that I could get the pill in the back of the left side of her mouth and down into her throat (side closest to me.) I'd then close her mouth almost all the way and rub her neck once or twice. 99% of the time this process worked. Hopefully this makes sense.

Good luck. And I hope those thunderstorms have passed and your hound is doing much better now.

~Jean

P.S. I had some success with Rescue Remedy on biscuits to help with the thunder. I'd check the weather and give her a couple biscuits with the RR on them a few times a day on those days when the storms were supposed to hit. It did seem to help at times yet other times it was a lost cause.

Another vote for the down-the-throat method here. With Shane I stand in front of him, gently lift his face from below until his head is well up. Then I place my left hand atop his muzzle and lift while pressing down on his lower front teeth with my right index finger, while the pill is contained in my otherwise closed right palm. Once I have the mouth open enough, I quickly place the pill far back in the center of his mouth and push it far enough down the throat that he'll swallow it the rest of the way instead of spitting it out. "Far enough" is when you feel that narrowing at the top of the throat.

Lots of good thoughts for you and your stressed dog!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Figmama

I've always given pills to this big a dog with this big a mouth by opening the mouth, tilting the head back and dropping it in the back of the throat, shutting the mouth and massaging the throat a little.

I have found that Pill Pockets work great!!!! Our Grey is used to getting a treat after his walks, when we come home, etc. I keep the pill pockets by the treat jar but I put a pill in the pill pocket then take the top of the jar like I'm getting a treat and give him the pill pocket. He hasn't figured it out yet. :rolleyes:

i just stuff it down their maw, usually getting a finger chomped a bit in the process. After a while disguising it didn't work.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

i just stuff it down their maw, usually getting a finger chomped a bit in the process. After a while disguising it didn't work.

What a good guardian. Who needs TEN fingers? :lol

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I've tried everything. Everything has worked. For a short while. Strawberry yoghurt is currently working and has continued to work.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

a part of a grilled cheese sandwich. I take a half a piece of bread and put the pill in the grill it. let the sandwich cool a little before giving it to the hound. They can't get the pill out of the melted cheese.

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

I'm a fan of the "poke down the gullet" method. My girls look for the treat after.

Have you tried Melatonin? I use a combo of D.A.P. sprayed on a cloth placed around the dogs neck and two melatonin. My storm phobic girl does well on this.

june

Guest KsFrets

Ever tried pill pockets? We won some at a gathering, and they work pretty good!

I do have to question (or give our experience) the thunderphobic situation. Because we have a very thunderphobic dog (Magnus). The best advice we've ever gotten, was to just leave him alone. As new greyhound owners (several years ago) we of course freeked when he freeked over thunder and fireworks, and got drugs and babied him and thought we were bad pup-parents if we didn't calm him down and make him not afraid. Nothing worked, and in retrospect, I think our worry and coddeling and pills triggered his freekizoidial response even worse. Then we wised up and just left him alone and acted like nothing was wrong during the storms and fireworks. Sure he pants and freeks and runs downstairs. But he doesn't pee or poo or puke or stop breathing or have a heart attack or anything, and he always comes up after the storm, and quickly resumes his normal happy life. Unlike a drugged dog who has to come down off a drunk. And guess what? the older he gets, and the more storms he's survived... the better he gets. just this year, he will stay upstairs if it's not too bad, and he doesn't shake so bad like he use to. He will even go out back and potty with thunder in the distance, and that used to be impossible. Amazing how nature works if you let it.

Edited by KsFrets

Guest BrianRke

Diamond wont eat anything either when its storming out. I give her xanax for her thunderphobia and I found one thing that works. I dip the pill in a little peanut butter, I open her mouth, and stick in way in the back, then shut her mouth and rub her throat. she doesnt try to spit it out because it tastes like PB.

Ditto.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Shermanator

Wet food is Echo's kryptonite. :) She's a Valley Fever doggie, and takes 3 pills a day for it. She inhales the little balls of wet food with 1 pill hidden- and actually looks for fer 'pre-breakfast treats.'

Left hand, separate jaws, right hand put pill at back of mouth and use index finger to poke it down. Molly actually comes to me for her cranberry capsule every morning with her tail wagging (and a cookie after, of course!)

Spring-siggy-with-Hana.jpg
Angel Gary (Hallo Smoke'em 2000-2013), Angel Molly (Kiowa Mysticrule 1999-2011) Linda, Hana, Sultan

Yup, I hold their head up and hold onto their top jaw though, it forces them to move their bottom jaw and swallow.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Velveeta! Open mouth hold it up and drop it in. Most times she will just eat it. If not I drop it in and down it goes. :). Velveeta is tbe only thing that works consistently. Meat she chews which crushes pills and makes a bad tasting mess. ;)

The Girls