We Need A New Leather Leash....

One of my good leashes...20+ years old...finally snapped tonight.

The other one is nearly as old.

So, I guess it's time to replace them both.....

6' long

1/2" plain leather.... 5/8" would also be fine.... 3/4" is too wide for my small hands.

Brass snap...bulldog snap would be a bonus

Braided ends, with minimal stitching, would be wonderful.

Canadian made / sold would be the ideal!

These are not made in Canada, but look like what I want.

Anybody dealt with them?

http://leerburg.com/leatherleash.htm

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest TDotGreys

Just like ours. Unfortunately, DH brought ours with him from Europe. Want me to see if he can order a half a dozen for us and send you two? Ours are well used too.

Contact Karen at Camp Greyhound/Awesome Paws. She's located just south of Barrie, ON. Here's the link. She has an excellent local leatherworker contact. If you have any difficulty, just PM me and I'll help. I don't expect any, though, she's very prompt with her email.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

It's not *exactly* what you want, as it is braided, rather than sewn, and made in the US instead of Canada. But Pro-Moh's has fabulous quality. I have two show leads from them, and even though one one got chewed (Manero <_<), it's still useable (but that's the reason I bought a new one).

I have not ordered from them, but bought in person. Very nice people, and quite helpful.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Audeamus

Check out tack stores :D They have oodles of awesome leather leashes or things that can be turned into leather leashes.

Or if you're a little more adventurous or lucky check out a farmer's market. When I lived in Grande Prairie there were a bunch of awesome, locally made, leashes to be found there.

It's not *exactly* what you want, as it is braided, rather than sewn, and made in the US instead of Canada. But Pro-Moh's has fabulous quality. I have two show leads from them, and even though one one got chewed (Manero <_<), it's still useable (but that's the reason I bought a new one).

I have not ordered from them, but bought in person. Very nice people, and quite helpful.

That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for!

Folks, if you've never tried a leather leash, you don't know what you're missing! They are SO much easier on the hands. This particular style, with NO STITCHING will easily last you 25 years and up. A little care and you're golden!

My leash is still good, and I used it through 13 years of a Pit Bull/Shepherd mix, and four years (so far) of George. Rain, sleet, snow...nothing phases a good leather leash!

Just placed my order for one of these to have in reserve!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

LONG DOG LEATHERLong Dog Leather, a vendor at most greyhound functions, makes great leather leashes and collars

Yup. I have several of their leashes. They break in quickly and they're good quality :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest chimni

Theire stuff looks really nice... but wouldn't a leather collar be heavy?

LONG DOG LEATHERLong Dog Leather, a vendor at most greyhound functions, makes great leather leashes and collars

Yup. I have several of their leashes. They break in quickly and they're good quality :)

Guest Sunset123

Try Stoirm Productions, it's a Canadian co.

I've bought an id leather tag from Schaaf and they offer fine quality leathers too.

I love my leash and collar from Schaaf. He does great work.

Be careful if you're buying anything from outside of Canada right now, though, because of the postal strike. I know that USPS has currently suspended shipping to Canada.

Do you have a Bark n' Fitz in the area? or perhaps a Horse and Tack shop? I've found leather leads in the London area in both these stores. ;)

Save on having to wait out the postal strike/lockout.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We only have PetSmart and a couple of privatele owned high end specialty pet shops and they do not carry heavy duty leather leashes...they all seem to be for fluffy dogs and in a mulitude of colours.

I actually own several horses, but sadly neither of our local tack shops carry anything like what I am looking for. And leads for horses do not have a wrist loop at the end.

The braided ones from 'Pro Mohs' is what I'd like...but I hate getting stuff from the US if I can get the same thing here in Canada.

And now we add in our Postal Strike....getting stuff out of the US is difficult.

I am not deserate...we have a few leashes, but like Susan said...I need to keep some 'in reserve'.

FYI...The leashes that are all braided, from one end to the other, really stretch a LOT! I used to have reins like that and not only were they hard on the hands, they stretched.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

Do you have a Bark n' Fitz in the area? or perhaps a Horse and Tack shop? I've found leather leads in the London area in both these stores. ;)

Save on having to wait out the postal strike/lockout.

Jen, didn't you have a leather leash vendor at the bbbq last year?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Nope :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

If by heavy, you mean heavily gorgeous, yes. :lol

Seriously, they are amazing. Bootsy gets compliments on his collars every time he's wearing one. Gorgeous, high-quality stuff.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

As an alternative, could you track down a saddler who would be willing to make you exactly what you want? This is what I did when I couldn't find exactly what I wanted ready-made, and I was really pleased with the results.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Contact Karen at Camp Greyhound/Awesome Paws. She's located just south of Barrie, ON. Here's the link. She has an excellent local leatherworker contact. If you have any difficulty, just PM me and I'll help. I don't expect any, though, she's very prompt with her email.

Thanks Summer's Mom...

Karen at Camp Greyhound is putting me in contact with Stoirm Productions, which was recommended by Redgrey.

Thanks Summer's Mom...

Karen at Camp Greyhound is putting me in contact with Stoirm Productions, which was recommended by Redgrey.

Yup, that's the guy, Stoirm Productions. I couldn't remember it! Glad she could help.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

• 1 year later...

The best leash that I ever found was from a small company in Oregon called http://www.leathernature.com/

It is five feet long with a braid at each end. It was soft and broken-in right from when I got it. The man there makes the leather very soft before he makes the leash. I have been very pleased with this leash and would certainly recommend them. It is a man and his wife and they make the leashes at their house.

I see this old thread has been brought back to life!

Eighteen months ago I ended up getting 2 new leashes from this CANADIAN company

http://www.stoirm.ca/products.htm

They are fabulous!!!

The gentleman made them to my specs, with 'scissor' snaps.

The leather was soft, but strong, and they took no time at all to 'break in.

We love them!!