Arjo's Dollarbill 9/17/99 - 6/7/11

plepkowski

Hello friends. I haven't had to post here for quite some time. The last time was on 10/16/01 when Happy went to the bridge.

Arjo's Dollarbill, or simply Bill, was an enormous greyhound with the broadest chest of any greyhound I've ever seen. He weighed just about 100 pounds and seemed perfectly healthy. Then, on Monday 6/6 at 11 am, without any warning his left front humerus snapped while he was quietly walking across the kitchen. I got him to a local vet up here in Dutchess County, NY, within a couple of hours. They x-rayed the leg and found one small lyses indicating osteo-sarcoma, but they didn't feel good about amputating the leg.

I got him down to my old friend, Dr. Marty Friedman on Long Island at 2 pm on Tuesday 6/7. Marty had the x-rays already so he anesthetized Bill, did a precautionary echo exam of his abdomen, and amputated the broken leg.

As he was finishing the amputation at about 3:45 Bill went into cardiac arrest and Marty could not get his heart started again. Marty said he had lost a lot of blood into an edema at the fracture site.

Bill was a soft, timid dog who was never certain that he should trust strangers. He would always stand a distance away and watch the other dogs poke strangers for rubs. But when he got to know you he turned into a giant love sponge. He would lay his head on your lap, lean his considerable weight into you and refuse to leave until you had rubbed every acre of him that you could reach. I had a real soft spot in my heart for this enormous guy.

Goodbye my good friend and godspeed. Elmo is looking for you everywhere.

Paul Lepkowski

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

Guest RNJaney09

It sounds like you did all you could to help this beautiful boy, I'm so sorry his heart could not handle the surgery. I wish I had more words to comfort you and your wife during this time... :gh_face:f_white

Paul,

Our sincere sympathy to you and your family during this difficult and shockingly sad week. Bill was such a handsome boy. Although it's never long enough, he was lucky to have been able to retire into your family for so many years. I'm sure you and your wife were his world. In time, may your happy memories of Bill bring you some comfort.

May Bill rest in peace...

:f_red

Paul, I'm so sorry to hear your big fella is gone.

Godspeed, Bill.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry, I posted in your other thread... how sad this must be for be to lose Bill.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest PhillyPups

Paul and Sonja,

I am so very very sorry for your sudden loss. :bighug

Run with the angels Bill, you are with the very very best ~

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Bill.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Godspeed Bill! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Paul, I am so happy to see you on GT again but wish it was with better news :(

I am so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Bill, i know your waggy little tripod will have greeted him and welcomed him though.

Sending hugs, please come by more often, we'll always be here to help you remember your babies with pics and stories and support :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

I have a very soft spot for the big, shy boys...I know all too well just how special they are. Rest well, handsome Bill. :grouphug to you.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)