Mittens Stopped Eating This Morning

Some of you may remember that our beloved Border Collie was diagnosed with malignant melanoma of her upper gum line last summer. Since then she has had monthly debulking procedures to extend her life. The last one was almost three weeks ago and the tumor had traveled to her throat. The vet thought that it might hemorrhage but we went through with the surgery anyway, knowing that there was no other choice than to just put her to sleep, as she was having trouble breathing. She survived that surgery and came home happy and wagging her tail. She has been failing though over the past week. This morning, she refused to eat for the first time and is drinking very little. I know that these are signs that her life is coming to an end.

The tumor has now invaded her nose and probably back in her throat. It is relentless and horribly aggressive. However, she does not seem to be in pain and even though she isn't eating, she still follows me around the house, albeit very, very slowly. She's getting weaker and I know that she will be leaving us soon.

I'm having a terrible time dealing with losing her. It's not as if I haven't been prepared for this. Our vet told us that he never, ever expected that she would still be alive and happy eight months from this horrible diagnosis. She was "supposed" to only live a month or two. But Mittens is the best dog ever. She's tough and brave and she is my best friend in the world.

How do I get through this? It is very, very important to me that she pass away as naturally as possible at home, as long as she is not suffering. So it seems that our very sad vigil has begun. I can't stop crying. Sometimes it feels as if it is unbearable.

Edited by Magdalyn58
Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

I'm so sorry she isn't doing better. Give her a little kiss for me, will you? And hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My heart goes out to you and your precious girlie. :grouphug Am holding her in my prayers for her highest good. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

You get through it by being strong for her, keeping her from sensing that you are so upset, and making her life as happy and pain-free as possible.

Then you can fall apart after she's gone. :grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

By "pass away as naturally as possible at home" do you mean you plan to wait until she basically dies of starvation? I could not do that to an animal I loved. That seems like suffering to me, even if it's not exactly pain.

My beloved cat Quinn had nasal cancer that had spread to the lymph node in his throat on that side, and eventually the node got so large that he stopped eating, though he didn't show much distress from the primary tumor. When it was clear that the not eating wasn't just a temporary thing and we couldn't get him going through any means (we tried every tempting food, even tried prednisone to stimulate his appetite), I knew it was time for him to go to the Bridge. It wasn't that his body was shutting down so much as that he just couldn't eat, and it sounds like that is what's happening with poor Mittens.

I would think and hope you could find a vet who will come to your house.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest LindsaySF

I would look for a vet to come to the house to put her down. :( If the tumor is in her nose and throat, to the point where she isn't eating, it might soon interfere with her breathing. You don't want that, it will frighten her. Better to let her go before it gets to that stage. :grouphug

I am just so sorry that you are going through this. Hugs to you and scritches for Mittens.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am very sorry you are going through this. Our thoughts are with you and Mittens during this difficult time.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

... But Mittens is the best dog ever. She's tough and brave and she is my best friend in the world.

I am so sorry that this is happening. I know that losing an animal has always been devastating to me. To the point that when I lost my last grey girl, two friends in the mental health field, and numerous others asked if I was really sure that bringing another grey into my life was a smart decision. Maybe not "smart" but the only one I could make, for the same reasons that you state. If the cost paid for the love and the lessons and the pure joy that these animals give us is emotional devastation, it may not be "smart" but it is a price worth paying.

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts for Mittens and hugs for you both.

My mother put our English Setter down this morning. She should have done it last week. He had stopped eating as well, and I was stunned when I saw him this weekend. He was skeletal.

I'm terribly sorry for your pain--

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Shermanator

When we lost Sherman and Patton last year to osteo, we were destroyed. However, we took the last days of their lives, and treated them to anything they wanted. Bones, bully sticks, ice cream. Lots of snuggling, and love. They went to the bridge in my arms, wrapped around them them tightly, cooing in their ears how much I loved them. Afterwards I did fall apart, but 6 months after losing them, I am starting to smile at their memories. We also adopted 2 little girlie greyhounds, who have brought us a tremendous amount of joy. They are not replacements, but additions to our family. I can have peace in knowing I gave both Sherman and Patton the best lives we could, and that we helped them cross with dignity and love.

I am so terribly sorry to hear about Mittens. I know how hard it is.

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)