Sara Update - Went For 2Nd Opinion

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

First, I want to say thank you so much for all the warm wishes and prayers for Sara. Having a place to come to and people to talk to has really helped a ton.

I went with my Dad last night to take Sara for a second opinion. My husband had to work so he couldn't come. My usual vet is very good with my pets and she is familiar with the basic greyhound stuff like anesthia issues. The vet we took her to last night is the local expert greyhound vet. All the local groups use this hospital for their new dogs and you always see 1 or more greyhounds there when you go. I know at least one of the vets is a greyhound owner if not more. Anyway, they know their stuff.

This vet is concerned that, despite the benign pathology report, there is still cancer in her leg. The tumor has grown so much and it's so big, it has to be something. She thinks that the first vet didn't go deep enough with the biopsy. Which, she said, is fine, she wouldn't expect them to go deeper. Normally what they did would have been enough. She feels there is a fibrosarcoma deep in her leg that is now covered with fatty tissue. She mentioned a second biopsy but I didn't want to do that. Then she suggested a long needle aspiration. She said we'd have the results by Friday. I decided against it. Whatever this tumor is, it doesn't matter. It hasn't spread and it's not in the bone. It just needs to be taken out, regardless. We talked about de-bulking but, the vet said the tumor is entwined in the muscle. If they de-bulk, it will be very, very painful for Sara and, she'd be back in a month because it will grow back. She said she would amputate. Second option is PTS. Third option would be de-bulking. So, Sara is scheduled for amputation tomorrow. :( I didn't want to wait. She's uncomfortable. The doctor predicts a very good recovery for Sara. She's perfectly healthy other than this evil tumor.

I'm prepared for this but, my husband isn't. He told me he can't support me with this decision. I'm trying to convince him otherwise. He's worried about Sara's quality of life after the amputation. He wants her to continue to be her wild and crazy self. Then he told me that he's really worried she's going to die on the table. He's just so confused right now. I'm trying to send him my research and talk to him but it's hard. I mean, he realizes our only other option is to PTS. I really wish he would have come last night so the doctor could explain it all to him. I might have him call her today. He's worried for me that I'm thinking with my heart and not my head but I know, in my mind and my heart that amputation is the right decision at this time.

Then, there is my sister. She thinks she knows it all. She told me I was being cruel and inhumane. She said I need to think of my family. I have three kids to worry about and I can't be worrying about a tripod dog too. I can't believe she said that to me. I told her I didn't call for her opinion. I just wanted her to know what was going on. I said I went to 2 doctors and got THEIR opinions. She said "well, I know dogs and you are just being cruel and inhumane". I hung up on her.

My parents are behind me but I'm just worried about my husband. I know this isn't an easy decision for him. It hasn't been for me. It's going to be a tough couple of weeks but he just wants to be reassured that after that time, we'll still have our wild and crazy Sara.

Thank you so much if you read all of this. I know it's a book but I just had to get it all out.

Guest FiveHounds

Why not try the long-needle aspiration first?? Amputation is pretty drastic and so final. Try everything else FIRST. Wait on the amputation.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Why not try the long-needle aspiration first?? Amputation is pretty drastic and so final. Try everything else FIRST. Wait on the amputation.

Because the tumor is huge and she's dragging her leg. It has to be removed - no matter what the diagnosis is. I'm afraid it's just going to get bigger.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. It is a hard decision to make but sounds like you have a good chance for a good outcome! I don't blame your hubby for reservations-the 3 legged dog is something some people just can't deal with.

But as an example I have included Zinger's video to show just what a wonderful life he had after amp! He ran just as fast and was just as happy as he had been on 4 legs. Happier because the pain was gone.

It is a memorial video so maybe watch with the sound off. (Or box of tissues) It begins with him on 4 legs and includes some graphic post amp shots but if you can fast forward through that and show him Z running in the yard and counter surfing...

First grouphug.gif. Then, I'm glad you've spoken to another vet & that you have a good plan. It sounds like the right way to go for you & Sara. I hope your husband just needs more time to come around. It does seem so brutal but as you know from GT, most dogs do just fine. Especially if it's not osteo.

Will be thinking of you & Sara tomorrow.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

If Zinger's video doesn't do it, nothing will . . . . what marvelous shots of him running like the proverbial bat outta hell!

Holding good thoughts for you all tomorrow.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

All we can do is make the best decisions we can using the information we have available. Based just on the information you have provided and thinking of my own 9 1/2 year old girl I believe I would likely make the same decision you are. I know it is hard for everyone concerned. Your husband is just like you in wanting only the best for Sara. It sounds like he is faced with no really good solution to this and is having difficulty accepting the need to pick the least bad of the options. He needs time but there really isn't much available if you want to spare Sara from suffering.

Wishing Sara and everyone in your family all the best in the upcoming weeks. I think you are doing the right thing.

With an amputation, Sara will be on her feet and pain-free much sooner than she'd be with the debulking. And she should be pain-free and surgery-free for longer, especially if there is some lurking cancer.

Your husband's fear of losing her on the table--yeah, been there. But it's either surgery--of one kind or the other--or you put her to sleep. Surgery gives Sara a chance, and amputation really gives her her only chance. She'll never be her wild and crazy self again with that tumor on her leg.

Give Sara a kiss from her fans here.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I'm sorry you have to go through this. It is a hard decision to make but sounds like you have a good chance for a good outcome! I don't blame your hubby for reservations-the 3 legged dog is something some people just can't deal with.

But as an example I have included Zinger's video to show just what a wonderful life he had after amp! He ran just as fast and was just as happy as he had been on 4 legs. Happier because the pain was gone.

It is a memorial video so maybe watch with the sound off. (Or box of tissues) It begins with him on 4 legs and includes some graphic post amp shots but if you can fast forward through that and show him Z running in the yard and counter surfing...

Thank you for sharing this!!! I'm at work and didn't have the sound on and I still cried!!! What a lucky boy. I will share this to my husband too.

Guest brandi007

I think you're making the best decision for Sara and I know your DH will also once he see's her happy, pain free and bouncing around with 3 legs! Lots of good thoughts for an un-eventful surgery and a quick recovery!

Thank you for sharing this!!! I'm at work and didn't have the sound on and I still cried!!! What a lucky boy. I will share this to my husband too.

You're welcome. The surgery and the first 2 weeks are very tramatic as others can tell you but there can be a great life after.

I chose to amputate the front leg of a 12 yr old dog!! You think she didn't have quality of life? The only change I made for her was put in a ramp, but she had always had trouble with stairs to begin with.

Her amputation was a OSU in Oct.

In January a few months later, while I had her littermate at OSU, I took Diamond for a walk outside without a leash. Yeah, I can catch a 12 yr old tripod. NOT! She took off after deer running through the woods. Luckily she did have good recall and she came back. But, you can't tell me she wasn't a happy, energetic, active girl. Her amp did not slow her down one bit. Only when the dreaded OS showed up in one of the remaining legs did I lose her. She had a TERRIFIC 6 months. She missed her front leg.....or I should say, adjusted to the loss of her front leg in less than 2 days. Actual recovery was about 2 weeks.

Good luck. I know how hard this decision is. I stressed over it, lost weight over it, and when Diamond was taken off pain meds after 2 weeks and the staples came out, I looked in her eyes and she was happy. I then knew, from the bottom of my heart, I made the right decision for her.

I will be sending you and your family best wishes for an uneventful surgery and recovery. Please tell your husband that amputation will allow her to be'wild and crazy" again. It's a tuff decision but, I do believe you are making the correct choice here. Keep us posted asap!!

Also look for the videos and pics user Charlies-Dad has posted here. Charlie is 7-8 months post-amp for osteo and is going strong! My own boy Dude had an amp 6 weeks ago and is happy and just like his old self. He was up and running around in about a week, and has adapted amazingly easily to being a tripod.

If your husband is worried about the surgery itself, the amp is actually easier and shorter than a de-bulking would be. Probably cheaper too, if you want to look at it that way. Yes, the first two week are pretty hard. But it's harder on US than on THEM. She'll be pain free and able to use all her remaining legs to their fullest.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I heard Dr. Couto speak for two hours a year or so ago. He calls Greyhounds "three legged dogs, with a spare." Obviously he deals with a LOT of amputations--

Explain to your hubby that because of a Greyhound's narrow "stance" (their legs are close together), removing one creates very little hardship. They shift their remaining leg about an inch, and do just fine!

Amputation is much harder on a dog like, let's say, a Rotty, whose legs are much further apart.

We had a Borzoi in my town in California that lost a leg (some idiot shot it with a pellet gun) and it used to chase cars!!! On three legs!

Once she heals, she'll be just fine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

There's no such thing as the right decision - only the decision that's right for you and your hound.

I would do the amputation to make the hound more comfortable rather than fart around with anything else. If you're going to do something invasive as treatment, amputation is the best ratio of quality for the hound.

I've not done a leg amputation, but I did choose to do a toe amp for a tumor on the toe of my then 13 year old. It caused him difficulty walking that would have gotten worse. I skipped the painful biopsy options, bit the bullet, said my goodbyes and decided that if he woke from surgery I would treat each moment as a bonus. He did and I did. He healed faster than he would have fr a biopsy. Unrelated cancer elsewhere sent him to the bridge 3 months later, but he healed fast from the amp and it was the least stressful for him.

I didn't give one whit what Anyone else thought. I made a promise to him, not them.

Edited by Swifthounds

I'm so sorry you and Sara are going through this. Amputation is a very difficult decision in any case, but to have no support and drama from those close to you makes it harder still. Please remember that any decision you make is because you love Sara and are doing the best you can to keep her safe, healthy, and free of pain. And for that reason, there is no wrong decision. I agree that you should proceed as soon as possible. A tumor that huge has got to be very painful, and has weakened the bone so much that it is in danger of breaking. Then you are making a life and death decision immediately. Perhaps your sister means well, but I would venture to say that she actually doesn't know that much about dogs. In the words of Dr. Couto, who knows A LOT about dogs, especially Greyhounds with osteo, "There is no stigma in the animal world against tripods. They have 3 legs, and a spare." Having lived with a tripod for 3 1/2 years after her amp, I can tell you that Winnie enjoyed her last 3 1/2 years of life very much. She did everything she did on 4 legs, except deciding arbitrarily where she did NOT want to go. She went up and down our 23 outside steps several times a day, every day, but chose not to ever go into the kitchen again! She was a quirky old girl, and knew that we would indulge her every whim. I wish I could say that I didn't look at her at times and wish my beautiful girl was whole again, but I couldn't. I tried to be as pragmatic as she was, but sometimes my emotions got in the way. My fault, not hers, and I'm not surprised that it would be hard for other people as well.

Anyway, never second guess yourself. Do what you feel in your heart is right, for Sara and for you. I think your husband will realize that Sara's life will be as full and normal as possible.

Please know that we are holding you all in our prayers. Let us know how she is doing. And you can vent here any time you want to!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm not sure what it is about amputating a leg that really tears at most people (including myself). When my first greyhound was diagnosed with osteo I dealt with my own unreasonable fears about amputating a leg. I had to put it in terms of something like this happening to me before I was able to put my uneasiness to rest and move ahead with the procedure on my dog. I realized that "being alive is the most important consideration and nothing else comes close to being important" and whatever is going to achieve that end is "OK" and can be dealt with.

As others have said or will say, for awhile after the amputation it can be tough - you just have to realize that the healing part of it will end and your dog will soon be running around the yard without a care in the world.

Good luck

Edited by MaryJane

Guest bigorangedog

Then, there is my sister. She thinks she knows it all. She told me I was being cruel and inhumane. She said I need to think of my family. I have three kids to worry about and I can't be worrying about a tripod dog too. I can't believe she said that to me. I told her I didn't call for her opinion. I just wanted her to know what was going on. I said I went to 2 doctors and got THEIR opinions. She said "well, I know dogs and you are just being cruel and inhumane". I hung up on her.

FWIW, my sister said the exact same thing to me. I told her it was a good thing it wasn't her decision then. (And about a year later, she ended up amputating her cat's leg!) Screw those people, is what I say. :rolleyes:

We fostered a tripod. She was trouble with a capital T. Ran faster than our four-legged girl ever had. Learned up and down stairs immediately. Would put her one front leg on the window sill to watch thunder storms. Would drag us for miles hopping on her three legs. Never slowed down and never got tired!! She was wild!! So amputation did not slow her down, or if it did I would hate to have seen the level of insanity before hand! It is absolutely possible for a tripod to be happy (and out-run four legged models). So good luck to you and Sara. I hope your husband can relax a bit even though it's happening so fast. The worst part will be the waiting and then the following two weeks (from what I understand). There are lots of threads here regarding getting ready for those first two weeks. Good luck and send Sara scritches for me. I hope she feels better soon.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest Yankeegreyhound

My husband just texted me and said "I'm sorry, I can't do it, please understand"

I've gotten so much strength from this board. Thank you.

I love what a pp said so I will repeat...I made a promise to Sara and I'm going to keep it.