Need Someone To Talk Me Down Off My Ledge...

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Okay, please tell me something that will keep me from freaking out.

We adopted 12.5-yr-old Boozer last Tuesday night. He is SWEET as pie and perfect. Even had a recent dental. UTD on shots. Just a wonderful little guy, and perky for an old guy, easily able to jump into car/bed/etc.

I just now noticed that he has a big swollen lymph node behind one knee. Large grape size or so. It may have been there the whole time but I just now saw it.

The last senior boy we adopted was Dx with osteo 2 weeks after his adoption (brave little Whitey). So now of course I am convinced that Boozer has lymphoma. My vet is in Colorado visiting her sister, not back 'til tomorrow.

So. Someone tell me it is not necessarily lymphoma. Thank you.

Guest K9Cookies

Are all of the lymph nodes swollen? What about the matching one on the other side? It could be something near that one lymph node. Have you checked him over really well for a tick in that area?

Let us know what you find. :goodluck

If it's just one node, it's most likely something local. Check up and down that leg, anal glands, etc., on that side.

Remember to breathe,

hugs

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest bigorangedog

Okay....So none of the other nodes (that I know how to find) are swollen. Here are the various other potentially relevant things:

1) He came to me with a probably long-standing nail bed infection of one toenail on the FRONT foot on the same side as the swollen node. I have been cleaning it out with chlorhexadine a couple times a day and it looks much better. Still not gone, but better.

2) He has a huge patch of blackheads on his belly, some of which are irritated. I've been wiping these with chlorhexadine too, and getting better.

3) He has a TINY nick about midway down his tail. I think this is new today, and probably gotten outside.

4) He has a fatty lipoma on his side. Vet already looked at this and confirmed that it felt to her like a lipoma. Did not aspirate, as it looks like a pretty prototypical lipoma.

5) No ticks that I can find, no vaccines in the past several months, no other illnesses that I am aware of.

6) He feels fine as far as I can tell.

The lump behind his knee (yes, popliteal) does not feel to me like a lipoma. Feels like, well, a swollen lymph node.

And that is all I know....

Best wishes to you and the old guy....and kudos for you for adopting seniors!

I'm no vet, but I do know that infections can lead to swollen lymph nodes - so if the nailbed is infected and the swelling is on that limb, it could very well be connected.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I would check the webbing and pads on the foot on that leg very closely. Anal glands too, if you can stand to do it.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest dwolfe711

Hi Jen - :grouphug hugs and heartfelt wishes to you and sweet Boozer for a good report at the vet :goodluck - these old return guys and gals get into our hearts so fast that any abnormal behavior or medical issue sends us into a tizzie :crazy . We have just been dealing with Mercedes and Ellie with weak rearends - Mercedes has been here less than a year - but when she started limping we both panicked and thought - well, you know! :( We will be keeping Boozer in our prayers :hope - please keep us informed - and hopefully it is nothing serious! :candle:inlove:goodluck

Guest bigorangedog

FATTY CYST!!!!!

The lymph node is actually underneath it. And it feels hard just because of the tension in that area. But it is full of fat cells.

I cannot say how relieved I am!!! I love this little guy.

:couchjump

FATTY CYST!!!!!

The lymph node is actually underneath it. And it feels hard just because of the tension in that area. But it is full of fat cells.

I cannot say how relieved I am!!! I love this little guy.

:couchjump

Time for a little tumor name calling……

:neener FATTY CYST, FATTY CYST, YOU AIN’T NOTHIN’ BUT A FATTY CYST!!!!! :neener

Guest Energy11

You can live with a FATTY CYST!!!

Goldie has a few of them! :-))

Glad that is all it is, and congrats on your new baby!

Yup...in the world of hounds, the word "fatty" takes on a new and very happy meaning!!!:lol

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.