Doolin Needs Some Healing Thoughts

Guest zombrie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zombrie

Thinking good thoughts for you guys.

My boy Cody has had a few tracheal spasm attacks in the past. Usually in the middle of the night of course. Also a few coughing attacks which turned into spasms. It starts out from something irritating his throat (we usually don't discover what it was, though one time I suspect a piece of rabbit hay, another time I suspect a piece of chicken jerky that wasn't properly chewed). Then he has an attack, which stresses him out, which affects his breathing, which makes him panic, which makes more spasms happen, it just snowballs. For him the best way to snap him out of it is to distract him with a potty trip outside, or give him a cookie. (The swallowing motion seems to help "reset" things). He's never had an attack severe enough to warrant an e-vet visit thankfully. Of course if Doolin is also vomiting, then feeding him might not help and probably isn't recommended.

I'll throw this out there, since I come from seizure-land with Sophie. It's also possible it was a focal seizure (which affects a certain part of the body/certain muscle groups, in Doolin's case the throat muscles and lip-licking). Sophie's focals manifest as either jaw-chomping and swallowing, or head shaking side to side. She's still conscious and aware of her surroundings, and she'll walk around while her head and jaws are moving on their own. A tracheal spasm is far more likely given that you can visualize the throat scratches, but I mention it because the frantic eating of things (including furniture) makes me think of the post-ictal state.

~Lindsay~

It seems Doolin does the same thing as Cody. At times he absolutely gets himself worked up and it gets so bad he can't breathe. Bringing him outside is a good idea

After what I went through with Manny, my first thought was focal seizure as well. But being able to see the scratches, I know it wasn't. And I can see in his eyes that he is still "there" . The vet thinks he licks and tries to eat things because Doolin is panicking and doesn't know what to do to make the spasm go away (he saw it first hand when Doolin started licking the wall)

Edited by zombrie

Good thoughts for Doolin. I hope he recovers quickly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest zombrie

Doolin has been quiet this morning. He is still having spasms but not so severe. We are going to give him a little bit of yogurt, hopefully it will stay down. Poor guy is so agitated.

I think the worst of it is over (hopefully!)

:kiss2 to Doolin, and hoping today is a much better day for you, sweet boy!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I love seeing photos of Doolin. He is such a beautiful greyhound. The scratches on his throat must be very uncomfortable. Hopefully they will heal quickly and he can start feeling more relaxed. It will be nice to see him back to his normal, perky, sweet self.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hoping Doolin feels better soon. We know how uncomfortable a sore throat is and a scratched throat is worse. I hope the yougurt helps.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Just wondering about acid reflux. My cousin had a dog who would swallow repeatedly and eat anything she could to avoid the burning in her stomach. Had to have emergency surgery because she ate the burber carpet. Pepcid was helpful. Just wanted to mention that.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest zombrie

Just wondering about acid reflux. My cousin had a dog who would swallow repeatedly and eat anything she could to avoid the burning in her stomach. Had to have emergency surgery because she ate the burber carpet. Pepcid was helpful. Just wanted to mention that.

That is definitely something to keep in mind.

Doolin seems to be doing much better. In the morning he worried us because he refused to eat the yogurt (which is what the vet was worried about). But then he eventually did and it stayed down :yay He has been getting small amounts of yogurt throughout the day and he is doing well. He is quiet, but I think it's safe to say that the worst is definitely over. :D

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts!

Guest IHeartDogs

Just saw this. Wonderful update. *fingers and paws crossed for a full and quick healing*

Maybe it is just the hard cookie he inhaled like you said. Hope it is just that simple and nothing else.

i'm pleased to read your latest update, brie. good job, doolin -- you can do this!

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Poor Doolin...hope he fills better soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good job Doolin! Great update!

Weird problem though. I wonder if there is some kind of OTC throat spray you could use to numb his throat a little? I know part of having a sore throat is re-irritating it by swallowing to try and ease it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly