60Mph Winds = One Frightened Hound!

Guest Tequila

Guest Tequila

We have VERY HIGH WINDS today -- 60mph in the Pennsylvania / New Jersey area. My Tequila is TERRIFIED, and I mean TERRIFIED of the wind. With good reason today, because it is blowing some unusual objects around in the backyard. Having a horrendous time getting her to go outside and do her business, and I don't blame her! Poor thing.

Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with the high winds today?

Mickey loves it. He keeps going out go do zoomies. I'm worried that he may get blown in to a tree. His track has some very sharp curves around several trees. Suds isn't as thrilled, but he has gone out several times. My goats HATE wind and refuse to come out of the barn. At feeding time, they screamed at me from the door because I put their food outside in the usual place.

I think the winds are supposed to get down to below 40 by later tonight. I also have stuff blowing all over. This weather is crazy! Good luck!

Edited by Neighsayer

It's starting to calm down here in Ontario, but last night from about 5pm until today around 4 the winds were insane! My Bella didn't really want to pee, she just stood on the patio, which for her is odd...cause she's not scared of anything.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

A couple of big gusts here. Hounds don't care but one big gust splintered the 2x4 that was holding the doors shut for the dumpsters at the condo. We were outside when it happened and it made a pretty spectacular sound.

Guest Sweetreba

We have been having strong winds here in Ohio but not as strong as yours. My two try to run away from it when I walk them on leash which is funny. They are not scared though and still want to keep walking. On days when it is like you are having they don't want to go out either.

Wicked wind here today. It stopped Kevin from pooping once (his coat blew-up and the wind was blowing right into his backside as he was trying to squat- he gave up and held it a bit). Other than that he's fine.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

My dogs didn't care about the wind. But sure I do. It blew the siding off the garage. I just got done putting it back on. I am soooooo scared of heights. I sweat getting on a step stool. Getting up on the top of the ladder about killed me. And I couldn't just crawl up the ladder and cling to it. I had to lean and reach out to nail the stuff back up. It took every ounce of bravery I could muster. But if it comes down again the side of the garage will come with it! By God, I nailed the cr*p out of it.

Really windy here today too - a 5-6 inch diameter branch actually fell from the neighbor's tree onto my car hood!! Very lucky it only scratched the H@#! out of it & have a few little dents - NO broken windshield or sunroof!! (I'm now not parking in my own driveway...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest AliceMyPrincess

The winds are crazy here! I live on the Ocean and there are huge gusts out of nowhere. The dogs having been running out to do their business and running back in.

Tons of wind here, and wind is the only weather that George is at all bothered by. We leash walk, so he has no choice about going out in it. I think it bothers his ears, 'cause he doesn't scare easily at all.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest IrskasMom

The Wind here is horrific to . Windgusts of 45 mph have been reported.Morty and I went to the Park around 3 PM and when the Gusts came and blew the Leaves he was so scared . :huh:huh:huh And it is not letting up. :rolleyes:

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Tequila

I feel so bad because there's NOTHING I can do about the wind.

When she refused to go out to the backyard, I tried walking her out front on a leash, but she started bucking like a bronco. She was NOT going. No way. No how!

The wind is LOUD. Scary loud!

Guest zombrie

We dealt with brutal winds today as well. We lost our power from 9 am until around 2! Doolin was barking his head off at first because he was a little unsure and things were blowing around everywhere. But he got used to it and was fine for the rest of the day. It was the first time I've ever seen him get like that, he is a pretty bomb proof dog. He didn't seem afraid, I think he just didn't understand what all that noise was (the house vibrating).

My GSD on the other hand, she was a nervous wreck all day shaking and hiding. Rescue remedy helped her a lot.

Edited by zombrie

Breeze is afraid of wind too-especially at night. Today she would just go out and go potty and then come right back in - although later this afternoon she did consent to a short walk,even though we had gusts up to 50 mph. That was a real breakthrough!

I think the howling sound at night is what she really dislikes- she will just tremble from fear, poor baby. It is hard to console her, so we basically give her treats and let her work through it herself.

gallery_22163_3545_8773.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Wind is the only thing that still scares my spooky girl. The rest don't much pay any attention to it.

If you have a coat, put it on her when you go out, eve if it's not cold. Pjs or a human sweatshirt put on and tired up around her waist with a rubber band can help too. You can also try snooding her ears, either with a real snood or a scarf or even a tube sock if she's little - something to keep the sound down and the wind out of her ears.

Also, use a harness if you have one - they can back out of a collar so fast and be gone when they get scared. If she does get startled, pull DOWN towards the ground on the leash, NOT up or sideways.

Good luck. I hate the wind too!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We are too. Make sure your gates are securely padlocked. Let's keep AA quiet.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Tequila

Oooooo! A coat is a good idea! This morning, she still had her jammies on when she went outside. While she was reluctant, I WAS able to get her to go out and do her business. But later in the afternoon, no luck at all. I didn't have any kind of coat (or jammies) on her then. So...thanks for that idea!

We also have some Xanax that was prescribed for her during severe anxiety attacks (which she hardly has any more, thank goodness!), so I gave her a Xanax when I heard we'd be having high winds (before they started). Unfortunately, it didn't help very much when the wind howled LOUDLY. If it wasn't loud, she was "okay" with it. If she was sleeping, she'd lift up her head out of curiosity, look around (ears on alert!) and would relax when I told her it was "just the wind." But when it got loud, fugggettaboutit!!!

Maggie doesn't mind the noise inside. But Sam is terrified. I just turned up the music and gave him something to work on (kong with a few carrot inside) and he was OK. Going out - not so much fun. Even Maggie was miffed at the wind. But they eventually had fun chasing leaves.

Hey Miss Tiki - hopefully it won't be so windy tomorrow sweetie :)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Very bad over here! Rainy doesn't seem to mind much but Sunshine the shy one its terrified. I'm actually very proud that she's been able to cope. We even had a.tree limb crash down 10 feet behind us in the parking lot. She dropped to her belly jumped forward one jump then looked right in my eyes to figure out if things were ok! Lol so glad we have worked so hard on her not running away from scary things. She never even hit the end of the leash. I'm always worried about her slipping that collar

------

Jessica