Shelby's Dental And Loss Of Weight

We brought Shelby in for a teeth cleaning but knew that some were going to be pulled. Last year when we adopted her in May, she lost 17 teeth then and likely will lose the remainder today or at least her canines. Also we are very concerned about her weight loss. She has gone from 54lbs to 48lbs in the past 8mths and we are having blood tests performed. The weight loss may be related to the her food that we make at home that has 0 carbs and no fat as she gets what Charlie gets. We are going to modify her diet slightly to add more fat in the hopes she can gain some or all of this back. We hope it's not anything serious causing it as we have only noticed her getting thin since Christmas so that does not bode well.

Any good thoughts would be appreciate for our senior girl who will be 12 in May.

Tks.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Phene ate much better after some teeth were pulled. He had also lost weight, which he has gained back post dental. I just upped the amount of food he was getting. Good luck!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Healthy, healing thoughts and prayers for your sweet girl. Hoping she'll put a few pounds back on after her dental like Phene did.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest lizmego

12.5 yo Dell just had a dental, as he wasn't eating well either. After the dental he's now eating better and cleaning his entire bowl. He had surgery in November to remove a tumor on his spleen, so with him being sick and trying to recover from surgery, we knew we had to get weight back on him. He is typically 72 pounds and at his lowest he was 61 pounds. We supplemented his typical kibble meal with an appetizer of canned puppy food, mixed with water to make more of a shake-like consistency, and we also added half a small container of Ensure Vanilla shake as an after dinner treat. We're now up to 67 pounds.

I tried the Satin Balls recipe, but he was not a fan of them. I think I fed too many at one time and our vet likened it to eating an entire package of Oreos and then you never want to see another Oreo ever. I didn't think I had fed him that many...

Good luck!

Many good thoguhts for Shelby! Our EZ just turned 10. Two years ago he had 17 teeth removed. He has always been a very selective eater - and it is an effort to keep weight on him. Recently his teeth got infected.....we know he needs a dental, but given that he has a heart murmer, DH does not want to put him under. Anyway, just prior to the symptoms of an infection showing up, he got even more finicky than usual and dropped a few pounds. Once we got antibiotics and cleared the infection (though his teeth are still not looking great), he is eating a little better and maintaining.

It sounds like Shelby is eating, but if her teeth are really bad, perhaps she is battling a bit of an infection as well......I would imagine bloodwork might show that.....

How wonderful of you to take in a senior girl!!!! Again...prayers for Shelby.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest KennelMom

why would you feed her just protein? I'd revisit that idea, if I were you. As far as I know, dietary protein and fat are essential macro-nutrients for dogs (I know it is for people - that's why they're called ESSENTIAL fatty acids).

A dog can eat just find with no teeth, as long as they can swallow the food. Could be lots of reasons for the weight loss. At her age and losing weight for no obvious reason, hopefully you pulled some blood work before the dental and that may tell you something.

She's back home and still a little out of it. She lost 4 teeth and we have plans to get those pounds back on her. The bloodwork will be back tomorrow so we'll see what that says but in the meantime, we work on her weight.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Perhaps her mouth was causing some difficulty and once she feels better, she may want to eat more :dunno Hope sweet Shelby recovers quickly.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Sending good thoughts for Shelby. Kerri who is 11 lost nine teeth including all her canines this past September, she has 4 little teeth left in her mouth. Prior to her last dental, her eating was off, it was a hard dental for her because her gums were so bad, they wouldn't hold the stitches, she was at the Vets for 4 days and lost about 5 lbs. It wasn't long before she was eating her kibble with a little water, she doesn't like it real wet. She gain her weight back in no time and now she eats like a little pig :) Her personality has become more playful and she has become more of a cuddle bug. Those nasty teeth were really putting a damper on her style :lol

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Give fiber (like canned pumpkin) and let her eat more of what she's used to as a way to gain weight. Introduce fats very slowly. Pancreatitis is dangerous and hard to deal with.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My Lizzie had 11 pulled a few months ago. After a couple of days, she was eating like a champ. I didn't realize how bad her teeth were bothering her until they were gone! Maybe with a little change to Shelby's diet, she'll start packing on some pounds.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)