I Heard Back From Dr Couto's Team

Wonder

I'm sorry that it was confirmed. I dearly hope you have many more good days with Sparks. As has been said, make memories, enjoy each other and stay in the moment for as long as you can. Give Sparks a hug from me.

going to give him one right now!

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ran into to give him a ton of smooches. He looked me me like- what the hell woman, I'm trying to sleep here

:rofl

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I'm sorry. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest bigorangedog

Did you call Meg today, Kari? I talked with her around 3pm. Of course you know what she said. :( As for pain management, you can do 100mg Tramadol 4x/day if he tolerates the Tramadol well. For my guys, we did Tramadol, PLUS Deramaxx, PLUS Gabapentin. Morphine is a possibility, but may knock him out or make him anxious. There's also the topical DMSO, which could be worth a shot.

But if he is still feeling pretty good and still acting like "himself" with what you're doing, probably leave things be for now.

Not that this info does you any good at this point, but just to pass along everything Meg said... Meg believes that the osteo began in the leg a while ago, and that his back pain has been due to spinal metastases. Even when you thought it was LS, she thinks that it was spinal mets, because they can cause pain long before they are pronounced enough to show up on xrays. Meg thought that the bones in his sacrum looked thin, but obviously the rads you sent were not positioned to see the spine. But he has probably had the primary tumor in his knee all along, is her guess.

(This is exactly what happened with my Tanner...) :cry1 Hindsight is 20/20 of course, and I kicked myself for ages for not knowing right away. But you do the best you can with the info you have at the time.

If he's still happy to eat, happy to go outside, sleeping okay, you hopefully still have good days ahead of you. Call Meg anytime - she saw me through all 5 of my osteo babies. And has had her own as well. She gets it. I told her Sparks is your heart boy. If you need something after hours, I have her home and cell #s and can call her if you call me.

I'm so very sorry Kari. That was exactly where my Jack's tumour was. We had a good long time after diagnosis together. I hope you do too.grouphug.gif

How long did you have?

I realize each case if different but I'm thinking it's going to be soon. :(

I had 6 months with him after diagnosis. We were very lucky. He was on Tramadol and Meloxicam.

I started him back on Tramadol on Friday and added Meloxicam last night. He also started gabapentin on Friday.

I'm letting him eat whatever he wants. I made 2 pot roasts last night and some chicken.

I was sure hoping for better news for your Sparks. With Lewis, I had three good months with him. Like Jack, he was on Tramadol and Meloxicam pretty much the entire time. I spoiled him rotten and cooked for him, too. I hope you have lots of good time left with your boy....enjoy every second.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest BleuDog

Hugs to You and Sparks.......and LOTS of Prayers and White Light....

Same place for DX for my Spirit Dog, Bleu Man........with Holistic Treatment & Pain Control, Bleu made 3 1/2 months...which was MUCH longer than the Regular vet thought....she thought 1 month even with clear lung x-rays.....

My Bleu Man let me know about his pain by curling his toes, when resting or sleeping.......as soon as he got Tramadol his toes quit curling......but as the pain increased....that is how I knew to get more meds for him.....don;t be afraid to use the meds as needed, and increasse or change as needed.....with his Holistic Meds, he also got acupuncture, which seemed to be of great help to him, also.....

Don't forget the Hagaan Daas Ice Cream!!!!!!!! I had always cooked for Bleu Man, but the Dulce de Leche Ice Cream increased!!!!!

Enjoy Sparks, and Love an Him......you 'think' you might be close now.............just see what your time ahead will be-----THE BEST!!!!!!!

Did you call Meg today, Kari? I talked with her around 3pm. Of course you know what she said. :( As for pain management, you can do 100mg Tramadol 4x/day if he tolerates the Tramadol well. For my guys, we did Tramadol, PLUS Deramaxx, PLUS Gabapentin. Morphine is a possibility, but may knock him out or make him anxious. There's also the topical DMSO, which could be worth a shot.

But if he is still feeling pretty good and still acting like "himself" with what you're doing, probably leave things be for now.

Not that this info does you any good at this point, but just to pass along everything Meg said... Meg believes that the osteo began in the leg a while ago, and that his back pain has been due to spinal metastases. Even when you thought it was LS, she thinks that it was spinal mets, because they can cause pain long before they are pronounced enough to show up on xrays. Meg thought that the bones in his sacrum looked thin, but obviously the rads you sent were not positioned to see the spine. But he has probably had the primary tumor in his knee all along, is her guess.

(This is exactly what happened with my Tanner...) :cry1 Hindsight is 20/20 of course, and I kicked myself for ages for not knowing right away. But you do the best you can with the info you have at the time.

If he's still happy to eat, happy to go outside, sleeping okay, you hopefully still have good days ahead of you. Call Meg anytime - she saw me through all 5 of my osteo babies. And has had her own as well. She gets it. I told her Sparks is your heart boy. If you need something after hours, I have her home and cell #s and can call her if you call me.

Thanks Jen

I think I'm still in denial and didn't call her.

The info on the meds is good, thanks

He had a restless night last night. He didn't poop yesterday so I think that was the main problem. I've been sleeping next to me and touching him all night. So when he moves to get up, I rub his back and he lays back down.

He did poop this morning and ate some chicken. I left a bowl of tripe, beef, chicken and a handful of treats and a huge bowl of water.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest IrskasMom

This is exactly what I didn't wanted to hear. It is so devastating and crushing.

Hugs , hugs and more hugs. As many you can give Sparks from me. Take Day by Day and Love him. :grouphug:kiss2:grouphug:kiss2

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest brandi007

I'm so sorry for this bad news.

I'm hoping for some great days for you and Sparks, try to enjoy the time you have and treasure it!

Sparks ate a lot today :yay

His big d is getting back to normal. It was black so I stopped the chinese herb that was for the cancer. I don't want his last days being like that.

He loves to be in my room but I can't leave him in there when I'm not home. I worry that he will pee on my bed. Now he's in the corner of the livingroom and he can pee where ever he wants. I have papers down on the floor for him. We do sleep in my room now. I'm touching him all night so i can rub his back when he gets restless.

I'm still crying a lot- and at times when it just hits me, I bawl. My co-workers are all awesome and dog lovers so they totally understand.

Thank you to everyone for the comments here and the pm's. They are really helping me more than I will ever be able to express

I still just can't believe he has cancer

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Wondering how the sweetie is doing today...

I'll know in 45 minutes

I left him 2 bowls of food this morning. He was eating the chicken when I walked out the door.

He ate a lot yesterday, not sure if I posted that or not.

I need to run to Costco and get those dehydrated duck treats. I have a few of the chicken left but I know he loves the duck too.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17