Princess, My Soulmate

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's wonderful news! Will keep praying non-stop for continued and uneventful recovery.

Hope left OSU around 6 pm so won't be home until about 10 tonight. After taking care of all her other furkids she is going to be just exhausted. So I hope it is okay with her if I post some details.

The biopsy done via endoscope was not conclusive. Dr. Couto and several other docs took a look and no-one could say one way or another for sure. The bile duct was definitely distended, indicating that bile was not flowing properly. The duodenal biopsy showed what looked to be some lymphatic cells but they weren't clearly lymphatic cells. So the recommendation was to continue on with surgery.

The surgeons put a stent in the bile duct and removed the gall bladder. The fluid in the gall bladder was viscous but there didn't appear to be a blockage. The surgeon commented that perhaps it was just too thick to pass through the duct properly but didn't say what would cause it to be this thick (at least not that I can remember). They took a full thickness sample of the duodenum (where they suspect there might be cancer if there is any cancer at all). While they were there they also took samples from the jejunum, the liver and I think the pancreas (not sure on the fourth sample). Normally it takes 3 to 5 days for pathology but Princess's surgeon is married to one of the pathologists at OSU. She says that her husband will likely put a rush on it for her and we might hear as soon as Wednesday. If it is lymphoma in the duodenum, Dr. Couto says he has only seen this three times in his entire career -- all of them were greyhounds. So given the rarity of this, I am hoping that everything is okay cancer-wise.

Meanwhile, Princess is staying at OSU where they can monitor her closely. She is currently in the ICU -- most dogs go to the ICU after any fairly major surgery so this was expected. They are administering Amicar and following Dr. Couto's protocol. Dr. Couto is in all week so he will be keeping tabs on her.

If needed, I will make up some home cooked food and take it in for Princess. I will be back at OSU on Thursday anyway, so if she is still there and Hope wants me to, I will ask to see her. On Thursday, my Joey is going in for a chest x-ray and monthly blood work. It will be almost 6 months since his amputation (osteo) on July 28. So I will either be very happy or very, very sad on Thursday.

I'm sure Hope will correct anything I've gotten wrong once she gets the chance.

Jane

Jane, I missed this post and wanted to convey my thanks for "being there" for so many. You have definitely earned your wings. I am keeping all appendages crossed for a good check up for Joey.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I haven't heard from OSU this evening. It's probably late enough that I won't hear anything tonight. I'm assuming no news is good news and will call them in the morning. I'm really anxious for the biopsy results to be back

Oil light on the old SUV resolved. I checked the dip stick, and the oil registered only at the very bottom, just below the minimum fill line. I call the place that services it (a small German, family owned mechanic, best place ever,) and Chris assured me that I could safely drive it there. Took it in, they serviced it, changed the oil and all. So I'm good to go again in bad weather.

I'll update again as soon as I talk to OSU. Thank you all!

I'm not sure that I'm going there today. It depends on what I hear. Haven't heard anything yet. I'll be calling them if I don't hear anything in the next hour or so.

Again, no news is good news. I also suspect no news means nothing new, including no biopsy results yet.

Argh, come on, biopsy results!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest OurLacyandJax

icon <fingers crossed> for Princess.

And Jane: once again, is there some sort of a Greyhound Medal of Honor? I would gladly pin it on you!

I just had a quick call from Princess' vet student. They don't have the pathology report back yet, but Princess seems to be feeling better today. She actually ate a bowl of food! He'll try to call me again before he leaves this evening.

Jane, we're sending all our prayers and good wishes Joey's visit tomorrow. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for a good report.

Eating is awesome! GO PRINCESS!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

"

And Jane: once again, is there some sort of a Greyhound Medal of Honor? I would gladly pin it on you! "

Ditto :):):)

Oh my goodness. There are so many other people who do as much or more for our beloved houndies. For instance, Suzy (packmom) has helped people coming to OSU for far longer than I have. Janet (foxysmom) and the Miss Nellie team have raised much money for OSU. Cora (tallgreydogmom) also raises money for OSU. And so many others. The greyhound cult (er... community) is filled with many wonderful people. I simply saw a need and have tried to fill it.

Jane

Dr. Townsend just called. The final path report isn't in yet, but the preliminary report doe NOT show lymphoma. They're thinking IBD.

After eating a little today, she is refusing to eat again. They are tube feeding her. Tomorrow they will put in a feeding tube so we can start getting maximum calorie food into her. She is so cachectic and wasted that we have to get food into her. Then they will transfer her care to Internal Medicine, where they're more used to dealing with IBD. I'm sure they'll start Pred, but they can't do that until the full thickness biopsy sites have healed more.

She may be able to come home on Friday afternoon! and then go back for followup with Internal Medicine.

It seems that the gall bladder really was a separate issue.

I'm so relieved that it's seeming that this is something that can be managed. I know that my girl has a very strong will and a very strong spirit.