Ear Infection?

kamsmom

Isis started shaking her head a lot yesterday. She holds her head to the side and sort of "favors" that side. I noticed it late yesterday afternoon and looked at her ears and felt her head but then figured she may have just had an itch or something as it seemed to go away. Today tho it is much much worse and twice while we have pet her she screamed out.

I got some ear wash and when I did so she shook her head very hard and "stuff" came out. Black and gooey stuff. So I kept massaging and rubbing and got a lot of it out. When I rub her ear and side of her head I can hear what sounds like fluid squishing around. She seems to be in a bit of discomfort :( I have stopped messing with her ear for now but she is laying beside me and every once in a while she screams out. I don't think it is a life or death emergency but have put in a call to my vet, (he is friendly and has taken personal calls for me before)

I guess what I am asking is... is the "gunk" that came out normal? Am I just not cleaning her ears enough? Should I get a q-tip and clean more? I have given her a rimadyl for pain but really kinda unsure if that was even the thing to do. She refused breakfast this morning as well :(

Edited by kamsmom

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no...sweet Isis...no advice but I never had a dog with ears that needed to be cleaned often. I am pretty lazy about it but the greyhounds have never had problems.

best wishes it clears up quickly....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I was told once that, just like us, we aren't supposed to put Q-tips in their ears. So that I wouldn't do. But as to what it is... I've never had a dog with an ear infection. My brother did, though, and he used to have to clean his dog's ears every other day. They had special drops and everything. And when the infection was acting up, there was definitely a smell to the ear.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Black discharge? Might be a yeast infection (bacterial is usually yellowish). Shell need to go to the vet so they can determine what organsim is florishing in her ear. They'll will be able to dispense the correct ear wash and medication. Personally, I don't think a dose or 2 of rimadyl will hurt-might make her more comfortable until she can be seen by your vet.

Edited by tbhounds

All dogs will get that brown/black gunk in their ears. If you've got some ear cleaner, put it on a cotton ball and try to clean it out as best you can without causing her too much discomfort. You may be able to get some Zymox at a pet store, if not, you can order it on line. It's used for dogs with ear infections or yeast infections in the ear. You use it once a day for 7 days. You just squirt it in the ear and massage the ear and wipe away the excess. This is what I use for Gee. Her ears get so dirty because of her allergies.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When I say black stuff it isn't just the normal black gunk that sits on the ear. This was the size of... hmmm... well the size of a large booger :lol And then when she shook her head out flew two more. I really think it is something deep as the inside part that I can see is actually really clean. The lab that we have cleans everyone's ears rolleyes.gif Bruce thinks its grass and dirt all accumulated in her ear from rolling around outside. I don't. It doesn't have a smell to it but is definitely painful for her. I'll massage her ear again in a bit and if it's not better she will have a trip to the vet in the morning. He did call me back and just said to bring her tomorrow, that he agreed their was no reason to race up to the ER vet.

Thanks all, I'll update tomorrow.

Guest wmlcml6

Hi, Beth!

Check post #12 of this thread: Ear Solution

When we had Cool Man, nothing the vet prescribed cured his chronic ear infections and he was plagued by them for a year. Veronica told me that she found this remedy on GT when Casey had his ear infection, and it totally works. Casey and Cool Man haven't had an ear infection since using it.

Beware, the gentian violet definitely stains, so I would use it outside and wear something you don't care about getting purple on (for when Isis shakes after you put it in her ear). I put an ear dropper full, and then massage the ear for a minute and then stand back.

If you can't find the boric acid (or crystals), ask the pharmacist. Our Walgreens keeps it behind the pharmacy counter even though no rx is required.

I hope Isis feels better. For maintenance, I use baby wipes to keep the inside of the ear clean, especially with those that like to roll in dirt.

Edited by wmlcml6

Jillysfullhouse -actually not all hounds will have otic discharge. Can't tell you that last time I have needed to clean any of my hounds ears. Sure all ears produce wax and will get dirty but, not to the point that they are producing ear "boogers" and are painfull. Since you mentioned your pup has allergies I would bet your pup tends to get yeast infections. I do agree --Zymox is a great product.

In the future, at the first sign of head-shaking, you might need to medicate Isis for allergies. My first girl would start the head-shaking business when her allergies were kicking up (in grass-pollen season). On Benadryl, the head shaking and ear trouble stopped.

For now, if her ears still sound squishy, take a large, fat, dry cotton ball and tuck it into her ear. Massage her ear from the outside, then pull out the cotton ball. If there's left-over moisture or ear cleaner in there, the cotton ball will help. Don't use the same cotton ball on both ears, even if it looks clean when it comes out of the first ear; you don't want to transfer any infected material from one ear to the other. (P.S. Get real cotton balls--not those "cosmetic puffs" that are some sort of acrylic thing for dusting on face powder. The "puffs" aren't absorbent.)

Your vet may give you drops and more advice. (And if her ears are bothering her this much, the vet's a good idea--but it's not an emergency.) On a regular basis, though, wipe her ears out with a dry cotton ball every couple of weeks or so until you get a good idea of how often they need cleaning. And any time you clean with a liquid cleaner, be sure to finish up with a dry cotton ball to eliminate leftover moisture.

And you really need to stop her from shaking her head. Getting the ears dry should be a big help. But obsessive ear-shaking can cause hematomas in her ears (a collection of blood pooling at the ends of her ears--the ears will start to feel hot and thick on the tips). When she's shaking her head, distract her. Call her over and give her an ear massage. And if she still won't stop shaking her head, you might need to create a "snood" for her. A sleeve cut from a long-sleeved shirt will work: you pull it on over her head, so that it keeps the ears from being "flung" around if she shakes her head.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Well, my husband was just at home packing to leave for a business trip and called. He said that Isis is very swollen on that side of her face and under her ear :( He said he went to pet her and she backed away from him and cried. I am headed home and I have already called the vet. We have a 3pm appointment. Bruce said she is also walking a bit "funny". A few months ago I had come home to her walking "funny" and then it quickly progressed to not being able to walk at all... I'm now wondering if this is something related at all...

Anyway, wish us luck. I just want her to be ok.

Oh no! Hope your vet is able to figure out what's going on. Could she have an absessed tooth?

Maybe an inner ear infection?

Hugs for you and Isis :grouphug Glad that your vet is able to get you in quickly.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest wmlcml6

Poor Isis.

If it is an ear infection, it is possible it's messing with her equilibrium, which is better than it being something neurological. Thinking good thoughts for you and Isis.

Well, it's not an ear infection :( The vet says he has never seen an ear like this. He said it was very "angry" looking. He took a swab and it grew a little bacteria but not enough to show what the ear looks like. He even talked to the other vet that was in and she looked at the slide and didn't see anything either. I heard them through the door and heard him say that the slide showed squamous cells but he never actually said that to me. :( He sees lesions in the ear canal and also sees where the skin has become necrotic and sloughed off... that is what is coming out.

He also said that it is bleeding deep down in the ear and is causing her discomfort. He sent us home with some steroid drops and wants to consult with another vet and see her again on Thursday morning. He feels that this is related to her neurologic event from a few months ago. While at the vet she still had the head tilt but also her tongue was drooping, something I hadn't seen.

She also laid down at one point and her toes were buckled under and she never moved them... the vet is very concerned about that too. Isis has always had a few "hot spots" on her leg but I have never really worried about them because they are small and usually heal in no time. The vet is concerned about them now with the lesions he sees. Basically he is saying to me that he is very concerned about it all and that I should be too. He wants me to watch her closely and call at any change. Then Thursday the other vet will be in to also talk to.

Just :grouphug and hope that something can be done. May the days fly by fast until Thursday and then slow way down.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Adrianne

Poor Isis; she must be miserable. I hope the vets can figure out what it is quickly and treat her.

Years ago, we had a little Cocker Spaniel mix named Griffey who came down with an inner ear infection. It came on hard and fast, and we didn't know that's what it was. We thought she'd had a stroke because of the way she was walking. She couldn't stay balanced on that side and would fall over. When our vet diagnosed the ear infection, he said it was causing vertigo, and that's what was making her walk funny and lean to one side. Could Isis be dizzy as a result of whatever is going on in her ear?

Oh no, Beth I am just seeing this. I hope you can figure out what is going on and that the meds he gave you give her some immediate relief! :hope :hope :kiss2 for Miss Isis, but not on her head just yet, maybe on her tummy for now. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just more good thoughts for Isis here.

Sending good thoughts...I hope that the drops will provide her some relief while everything is sorted out :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

:( Sending prayers for your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.