Beth Is Vomiting

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Beth feeling? Hoping she has improved.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sorry folks, haven't been online today before now.

Very mixed report -- was better, but now it doesn't seem good. Beth had liquid D again this morning, back to the vet for the morning, they gave her some more fluids and Kaopectate. I brought in a stool sample for a full culture -- they need 24 hours to culture it, so I'll get results tomorrow. Instructions were to keep fasting her until tomorrow morning. She continues on metronidazole, Cerenia, and Pepto-Bismol.

This afternoon/evening she has seemed like she feels better -- her behavior is more normal, she is up and around following me more and comes into the kitchen looking for something to eat. So I was hopeful . . . but just a little while ago on her final walk she had liquid D yet again. What could she possibly be pooping??? The last time she ate was on Wednesday and she threw most of all of that up. I did give her maybe 2-3 tablespoons of plain yogurt during the course of the day (which she has daily anyway) after her pills, but surely that's mostly liquid?

I am feeling so scared and demoralized . . . the vet is so set on 24 hours of fasting after the last incidence of diarrhea. But how long can I keep doing that to her?? I'll call/take her in again in the morning of course, and make sure I have a way to contact them in the remainder of the weekend.....

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Come on Beth, you have to get better so you can play in the snow.

Just curious and if you covered it here, I missed it - you didn't start a new bag of food recently did you?

We just went through something similar with Rocket, with more Big D than vomiting, but the TOTW High Prairie he was on turned out to be the problem. Don't know why. He did great on it for over a year, and all of the sudden couldn't tolerate it. The problem started with a new bag of food. We switched him to the new Lamb TOTW and practically overnight everything cleared up. We are seeing even better results with the lamb than we did for a year on the High Prairie. We were in no way dissatisfied with High Prairie - he did great on it up until those new bags.

I should mention that we did all the normal tests and meds at the vet before we figured it out, even trying a different bag with different production codes in case it was a one time thing.

Just a thought - not trying to start a food discussion.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Crossed my mind, but we're at least halfway through the current bag of TOTW and she was fine before. Timing-wise, it's likelier the issue is related to the raw she had the night before it all started.

Crossed my mind, but we're at least halfway through the current bag of TOTW and she was fine before. Timing-wise, it's likelier the issue is related to the raw she had the night before it all started.

We were at least a week into the new bag when the problems started, maybe even a little longer. We also noticed that he was scratching more than usual prior to getting sick, but there was no rhyme or reason for it. Like I said, it was just a thought and I knew you used TOTW. Hope Beth is feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

At her age and beginning robust health, it won't hurt her to fast for 2-3 days but I would vote for some bland food starting today. If your vet carries canned ID (Hills version) or EN (Purina version), I might start with that. Hugs and hopes your girl turns the corner today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, I was so hoping to get the all clear sign:unsure ! Poor Beth! Poor Mom! Sending more prayers and healing white light.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

This is so scary! Hoping Beth makes a full recovery very soon.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Morning update: she pooped AGAIN this morning. It was pudding with a little form, so seemingly heading in the right direction. But still, how can she still be pooping after two days of fasting?? Could this be a sign of a partial obstruction or something?

As of this morning, her stomach is making LOUD growling/squelchy noises. I assume this is just from being really empty. It's an hour before my vet opens, and I'm anxious. I don't want to feed her before I get the OK, and maybe get some I/D, though he doesn't push that. But it's hard.

Guest Energy11

We were at least a week into the new bag when the problems started, maybe even a little longer. We also noticed that he was scratching more than usual prior to getting sick, but there was no rhyme or reason for it. Like I said, it was just a thought and I knew you used TOTW. Hope Beth is feeling better soon.

Soooo sorry to hear Beth isn't herself yet!!!

About two months ago, we had to throw out an entire bag of Canidae kibble, because ALL of ours got the big D! I also put all five on Purina EN prescription canned, and they cleared right up.

I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF FASTING, and NEVER DO IT! I DO, however, put the sick one(s) on the EN, which I keep here at all times, adding a little PLAIN yogurt and pumpklin to it, in addition to any anti-diarrheal meds (*I use Pro-Pectalin), and a Pepcid AC for the excess stomach acid. Seems to work everytime.

I am not vet, but worked for one for a long time, and it was RARE when my Dr. Beau recommended fasting. I trust the man, and even being here now, HE is usually my final authority.

Maybe you CAN try a little of the EN and yogurt?

Sending love, hugs and prayers your way!

Dee

Morning update: she pooped AGAIN this morning. It was pudding with a little form, so seemingly heading in the right direction. But still, how can she still be pooping after two days of fasting?? Could this be a sign of a partial obstruction or something?

As of this morning, her stomach is making LOUD growling/squelchy noises. I assume this is just from being really empty. It's an hour before my vet opens, and I'm anxious. I don't want to feed her before I get the OK, and maybe get some I/D, though he doesn't push that. But it's hard.

ID and EN are basically the same, just different manufacturers. I like both, but mine prefer EN, ... just FYI.

RE: the partial obstruction?? Could be ... hard to say. Ma ybe a quick abdominal x-ray, just to be sure?

Please keep us posted, and again, sending prayers your way!

Sending more prayers. I have been following your posts and so hoped that all would be well by now. Keep us posted - this would be very scary for anyone. I truly Beth improves very soon. :hope

Guest PiagetsMom

I can't give any medical advice, but I know how worried you are. A few months ago Mirage had stomach issues, bloody diareaha. His vet didn't recommend fasting, but did recommend the ID, which we had good luck with and seemed to get him back on track. He's such a chow hound that I can't imagine fasting him - even with his stomach issues, it never affected his appetite.

Hoping Beth's tummy is better very soon :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

I have to deal with stomach/intestinal problems with Nadir on a regular basis. The one conclusion I have come to is that he can NOT tolerate fasting. Fasting makes things worse for him. What worked for him food wise the last time he had episodes of bloody diarrhea and bloody vomiting was to feed him a mix of Tilapia and potatoes. This was easy on his system. It did take 2 rounds of Flagyl to stop the diarrhea. I also had to keep feeding him the Tilapia/potatoes mixture for about a month as I slowly weaned him back to TOTW Pacific Stream. His poop is still not perfect like it was when I fed him an evening meal of raw.

I hope you can get poor Beth's problems resolved soon. I do know and understand the frustration.

My regular vet isn't on today, but I spoke to the other, new vet in the practice, who fortunately was up to speed on Beth. She (as well as an experienced tech) told me that the liquid poop was almost certainly from the fluids Beth got two days in a row . . . that the kidneys can only absorb so much and the rest comes out through the colon. Very reassuring -- but WHY didn't someone tell me this a day ago?? Would have saved me tremendous worry and Beth could probably have been started on food a day earlier! We just prolonged a fasting-fluids-liquid poop cycle for 24 hours extra.

This vet supported the idea of I/D for awhile and I've just come home with ten cans. She said 1/4 can four times a day for today, then build up. Beth just scarfed down her first feeding, so we'll see what happens. I hate the ingredient list, but I know people here think it works well so I'm hopeful. At least I can know she's getting some nutrients now.

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest Energy11

w!

My regular vet isn't on today, but I spoke to the other, new vet in the practice, who fortunately was up to speed on Beth. She (as well as an experienced tech) told me that the liquid poop was almost certainly from the fluids Beth got two days in a row . . . that the kidneys can only absorb so much and the rest comes out through the colon. Very reassuring -- but WHY didn't someone tell me this a day ago? Would have saved me tremendous worry and Beth could probably have been started on food a day earlier! We just prolonged a fasting-fluids-liquid poop cycle for 24 hours extra.

This vet supported the idea of I/D for awhile nd I've just come home with ten cans. She said 1/4 can four times a day for today, then build up. Beth just scarfed down her first feeding, so we'll see what happens. I hate the ingredient list, but I know people here think it works well so I'm hopeful.

Wow!! THIS SOUNDS VERY GOOD!

They seem to LOVE the ID and EN, and yes, the stuff works :-))

Please keep us posted, and sending lots of love you way!

It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Hopefully by tomorrow she's feeling much better.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee