Logan

win4profit

We knew the day was coming but we did not expect it like this. On Sunday November 14 we had to let Logan go, he was in so much pain and nothing was helping. Saturday was a beautiful day and we were all outside enjoying the weather. DH and I were raking leaves and Gypsy and Logan took turns laying in the sun and then laying in the piles of leaves. Logan even chased Gypsy once around the yard after she pestered him relentlessly. I snapped a picture of the two of them in the leaves and told DH that I should get a video of Logan nestling down in the leaves and how satisfied and content he looks. But we didn't bother with getting the video because we were tired and had been raking leaves for several hours and didn't want to take the time. Hindsight being what it is, I really regret that now. Logan had a great dinner and we all settled in for the night. Around midnight, Logan wakes me up panting. I get up and go to let him out, he goes out on the patio and just stands there looking confused. After a few minutes, he goes out in the yard and squirts. He comes back in and he is still panting. I recognize this behavior, it has happened twice before. Somehow, he has done something to aggravate his neck. I try everything to make him comfortable. Around 1:30 I wake up DH and we both try to get Logan to lay down and relax. I give him 2 Tramadol around 2:00 AM. By 3:00 AM we decide to take him to the Evet. The last time this happened was in October of 09 and they gave him Hydromorphone and he had a bad reaction so this time they gave him Fentanyl. We agreed to leave him so they could monitor him in case of a reaction. I called at 7:30 and he was still panting and not resting. I called again at 11:00 and was not able to talk to the doctor, they said he would call me back. By 1:00 he had not called and we really wanted to get him home so we drove up there and had to wait while they unhooked his IV and got him ready for discharge. We truly thought he would rest easier at home without all the chaos at the clinic. He was very happy to see us but was still panting heavily. We got him home but he would not settle down, his panting was now more of a desperate gasp. We immediately took him back to the clinic, his tongue was starting to turn blue by the time we got there. They rushed him in and put him on oxygen and another drug. The doctor eventually came to talk to us and explain the situation. Surgery to correct the flap in his throat was out of the question and with his neck pain and his tumor we made the only decision we could. He lived 22 months after his initial diagnosis of cancer which was about 20 months more than any of the doctors gave him and in the end it wasn't what took him.

Logan was our first male, I never thought I wanted a male until I laid eyes on him. He definitely chose us and by the time we made the long ride home he had me wrapped around his paw. Logan loved to go for a ride and would delight in a small trip just around the block with DH. He also loved his treats, his eyes would get big as saucers when he heard the bark bark jar or heard the crinkle of the treat bag. When we got up in the morning all he wanted was a good ear rub. He was the most gentle, loving and friendly hound ever. At meet and greets he would always gravitate toward the young kids, even though he was never around kids at any other time.

We spent a lot of time spoiling him the last 22 months always expecting the end to come at any moment. Logan and Gypsy were fed better than DH and I most of the time. In the evenings, you could find either myself or DH on the floor spooning with him.

It's taken me a while to make this post, I still haven't told but a few people. The words just seem to bring back the trauma. I know he is in a better place and all his pain is gone but for DH and I the pain is still unbearable. I hope he knows how much he was loved and how much he is missed.

Logan (McCullums Renege)

7/25/99 - 11/14/10

100_1459E.jpg

100_0853E.jpg

100_0702E.jpg

100_0696E.jpg

100_0685E.jpg

Everyday-4.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I'm glad you had more time than you expected. I wish it could have been longer.

Godspeed Logan.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

without a doubt, logan knows how much he was loved and how much he is missed. we are so sorry for your loss. what a handsome baby.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm so sorry your handsome boy had to leave.

Godspeed, Logan.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He knows. I am so sorry. :grouphug

Godspeed sweet Logan :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh Sue, my heart sank when I saw his name. I'm so, so sorry. He was such a gorgeous, sweet boy. Godspeed Logan.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh, he knows. I am so sorry! Beautiful boy.:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead