Swollen Nose

I was just petting Neyla and noticed that her nose is swollen. It's the area right above her actual nose, about the size of a quarter (so not the black part but right above and doesn't go any farther up). She doesn't seem bothered by it, even if I press on it, but I'm sure this is not normal. I looked at recent photos just to be certain and it is most certainly swollen. Any ideas what could be causing this? Has anyone experienced this?

We're still investigating the suspected bacterial infection - culture, urinalysis, and blood work were yesterday, but the vet wasn't anywhere near her face (blood draws were in back legs, she had to do both to get enough blood). The vet did give me a steroid cream for a bump she has on the base of her tail, but I've only applied it 2x so far and have tried to keep Neyla from licking it, although possibly not 100% successfully. I also started applying vaseline to her vulva, but she continues to work on herself although not as much.

Could this just be from constantly working at herself? I have seen her rubbing her face a little the last day or two - I thought she was just cleaning her face after cleaning herself - so maybe that's it and that's causing the swelling, or I was mistaken and her nose is a little irritated? Any other ideas? I really don't think she was bitten by anything - I am nearly positive I would know.

I'm going to see how it is in the morning. I'm not super worried yet, but man I would really love a break for my poor girl. :(

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Quick update - nose is less swollen this morning although I thought her breathing sounded funny when she was sniffing on our walk (not from her chest, just air moving through her nose) so I don't think it's all better yet. The more I think about it, the more I think it must have been the steroid cream. The first time or two that I applied it, I caught her licking her vulva shortly after. Realized that would mean her nose was rubbing right where I had applied the steroid cream. Does it make sense that the steroid cream would do that?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest IrskasMom

I really have no Idea just sending that little Girl some :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug and a Cookie for later :dogcookie

I think you and that little Girl need a Break :huh

Edited by IrskasMom

I don't really know what affect the steroid cream would have but it sure seems to make sense given the circumstances. Does the cream say anything about irritation/not licking/etc.?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Please give us a break!! :riphair Neyla was curled up on the couch with me when I looked down and thought the toes on her back left foot looked swollen. So when she got up, I checked her over and lo and behold, both the front left and back left feet are swollen. The other 2 seem to be fine right now. Neither foot seems painful if I touch/squeeze. What is going on?!!

I don't really know what affect the steroid cream would have but it sure seems to make sense given the circumstances. Does the cream say anything about irritation/not licking/etc.?

I checked, systemic reactions reportedly rare with topical application but some evidence that they can be absorbed and cause systemic effects, which would be similar I presume to oral administration. Symptoms they list are polydipsia (uh, yeah, she's already got that), polyurea (same), and increased weight gain. I find it hard to believe that the ointment could be causing this in light of the feet - I think I've applied it 3 times since I got it Friday afternoon - and these aren't even symptoms listed. Strangely, I do think Neyla's water consumption has decreased since Friday and last night she only had one accident instead of 2 or 3. :dunno

Our test results from Friday cannot come soon enough.

Does anyone think this is worrisome enough that I should try to contact my oncologist today. I don't know what they could tell me to do so I'm inclined to just wait until tomorrow unless things get even worse. I obviously have discontinued the steroid ointment just in case.

When was the last time her kidney function was tested? Was that part of Friday's testing?

Yes, it was tested the morning of her pamidronate treatment (so just under 2 weeks ago) and we drew blood again this Friday. We did do a urinalysis one week ago and those results did not indicate a kidney problem, and the urine from the sterile culture draw was concentrated, but obviously we need blood work to confirm that they're okay. We should have those results tomorrow.

Edited by NeylasMom

Yes, I would contact your oncologist today. Better your oncologist than the e-vet (who is not an oncologist and doesn't know Neyla's history) tonight. Could be some lasix, enalapril, etc. would be of help to her.

Nothing to do with the cream.

ETA: Didn't mean to sound quite so dour. Just, I would not like the swelling on the nose nor the relatively rapid onset of swelling on those feet. Wouldn't expect her to blow up like a balloon before morning, but she could get pretty uncomfortable and oncologist is more likely to have some ideas why and what to do about it than generic e-vet. Fingers crossed that whatever docs you talk to when, they're not needed and the problem goes away on its own.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bigorangedog

It IS probably an allergic reaction to something (are you able to give some Benadryl along with whatever other meds you're giving?).

However, just so you don't overlook the possibility, hypertrophic osteoarthropathy is a symptom of pulmonary metastases. It's basically a soft-tissue swelling of the extremities. (I don't know that the nose is a place you'd see it, but I have very limited experience with it -- just my Whitey.) Along with the swelling you also MIGHT see runny eyes and/or nose, or rough breathing. Of course, all of those things could also look like an allergic reaction.

I guess if it were me, I'd try some Benadryl and see if it helps.

Well I did just read that peripheral edema can be a symptom of a severe bacterial infection so I'm going to keep hoping this is all just part of that, but I will try to contact my vet now.

I'm glad you're calling the vet. I don't have any experience leading me to say that--just a worrying dread because you guys don't need any more problems to deal with, and I'd be inclined to panic over anything out of the ordinary.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Jen...

:bighug for you and Neyla....Hope you can find something out soon.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

You guys are so awesome, thank you for the good wishes. Just a really quick update - my vet did respond by email. Said that if it got worse or she started acting lethargic/had difficulty breathing we should see the evet, otherwise, if it's not gone tomorrow she should be seen. The swelling appears to be about the same or slightly better right now so I think we are okay until morning, at which point I will call my vet to see if they have test results.

Jen, just seeing this now. I hope the swelling has subsided and if it hasn't, we'll keep Neyla and you in our thoughts tomorrow.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.