Josie ... Is She Ok?

Guest buttonwillow

Guest buttonwillow

OK so the other day it really hit me. My Josie (we have had her three months) does not do ANYTHING all day. We have a nice long walk in the morning and then she sleeps on the couch until I come home for another walk around noon. Then she sleeps on the bed until I get back at 5 and we go for another walk. Then she snuggles up with us on the couch until our last walk and then she goes to bed with us!

I don't think she even gets up while we are gone! except maybe to turn around and lie down again!

is that normal????

She still doesn't play and she doesn't even wander around the house, even when we are home. Is she scared? Is she bored?

She is happy during walks and greyhound playdates, and she seems to be in excellent health, no diarrhea or anything. She likes to eat her meals and enjoys an occasional treat. She does not seem depressed or ill in any way. No separation anxiety or anything like that either. No problematic behavior. When we come home she is happy to see us but she doesn't get off the couch, it's as if she is waiting for permission. In the morning though she will get off the bed when I wake up, for her morning walk, without prompting.

I just worry... I want her to be happy...

Sounds entirely normal to me. I often have to bribe Beth off the bed with yogurt to get her up for a walk! And she almost never bothers to come out of the crate right off when I get home and open it -- she has to finish her snooze first. The only time she gets really animated in the house is around 4:30-5:00 p.m. when she's eager for her afternoon outing, especially if I'm on the computer then. After dinner, she's in a coma for the rest of the evening until I rouse her for a final pee-call. But she's perfectly happy and social, and even sometimes rowdy once she's outside doing something.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest bellenzo

Mila used to be like that for about the first 6 months. Now she's a bit of a terror and sometimes I miss those first few months (not really :). So be careful what you wish for.

Guest mbfilby

She sound like a normal greyhound to me. Three months is still very new to home life, she may get more active as she gets more "at home" in your house. Some greys are lower energy then others.

Three months is really not that long. She may change and she may not, you'll just have to see. If she seems fine - happy going for walks, responsive to directions, eager to eat, drinking enough, going potty on a schedule - then she probably is fine.

Check in again with us in a couple months!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

wait.... just wait....

Mila used to be like that for about the first 6 months. Now she's a bit of a terror and sometimes I miss those first few months (not really :). So be careful what you wish for.

8 months in and this is so true!

Wanna trade????? colgate.gif

I foolishly requested a "high energy" Greyhound, and now when I read about a dog who provides the companionship I need, but is so relaxed and, yes, lazy she just lays around, I wonder what was I thinking!!

I can't walk from the living room to my bedroom (I live in an 875 sq. foot condo, mostly open floor plan) without George following me. And I've had him for more than 2 years. You'd think by now he'd realize there isn't a portal to another universe in the condo, and the only exit is actually in the living room area!

No matter what the weather, he gets his 2 mile walk every day--he's unbearable without it. He's 8, with lumbar stenosis, and he still wants to do mad butt tuck zoomies on the end of his leash.

Greyhounds come in many "flavors," but it sounds to ME as if yours is the more typical. They are notoriously lazy dogs who often happily sleep, and sleep, and sleep! You need to let her be who she is. While it may see "boring" to you to lounge about all day, clearly it's what she enjoys!

So, where shall we meet to make the swap?

rolleyes.gif

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Wasserbuffel

Mine is a snoozer too. She'll be active for walks, training/play sessions or other outings. But, she's also very contented to just lay on the couch and sleep.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

When I am at meet n greets when people have the misconception that greyhounds are hyper hounds, I use the analogy of the cheetah. A greyhound's biological setup is similar in that they both have hinged spines, larger than expected organs, hemoglobin heavy blood, and a metabolism rate that anyone would kill for. This said, they need to reserve all energy they have as in nature, the cheetah will not eat if it cant catch its food. Cheetahs are very "lazy" animals, so are greyhounds. I tell most potential adopters that a house cat and a greyhound can compete for the most sleep in a day, and the hound usually wins!

Guest Wasserbuffel
I tell most potential adopters that a house cat and a greyhound can compete for the most sleep in a day, and the hound usually wins!

That's very true! While the kitties and dog sleep all day, it's the cats that barrel around all night sounding like a herd of elephants while the dog makes no more noise than a few groans as she gets comfortable.

I always tell people at M&G's that greyhounds are just cats with long legs! And less irritating!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My two girls sleep all the time , the only time they move is when they want to go out or its time to eat or get a treat. The younger girl does like her walks, the older one perfers to stay home and they will get up if I ask them if they want to go for a ride. Your baby is very normal, enjoy.

We just celebrated Molly's 6-month gotcha day, and her day pretty much goes like this:

I get up. Get ready for AM walk. Molly snoozes until it's really time to go.

Get back from walk. Molly snoozes while I get ready and make her breakfast.

Wakes up for b-fast, then right back to snoozing when I leave for work.

Get home from work. Molly happy dances around me. Goes for walk, plus zoomies around yard. Snoozes until dinner.

Eats dinner. Sometimes plays briefly with stuffie. If not, snoozes until her last potty break.

Force her up from evening snooze to go out one last time at 10pm.

Goes to sleep until 6am.

She definitely out sleeps our cats. :lol So I'm thinking your Josie is a-okay.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest Profgumby

PatC is so laid back that at a meet n great she will just lay down in the middle of the store,or Isle or wherever we are standing......so much for all greys being super high energy and needing lots of exercise!

Guest greytloves

Oh my....I love your Siamese kitties! I so miss my chocolate points. Always had one until a few years ago. Seeing yours make me miss mine!

You know how your cats seem to sleep for days? I always say that Greys are more cat like as they are content to sleep like nobody's business. My DH is always saying how jealous he is of their ability to sleep no matter or what!

Maybe you could start trying different things to see if you find something that sparks her interest more. Different toys or activities.