The Robin Update--Pemphigus Treatment--New Pics

Hi everyone, just wanted to give you an update on Robin.

It's been a couple of weeks since his mystery skin condition was FINALLY diagnosed, and found to be pemphigus foliaceus.

He's been taking meds like crazy. 4 prednisone a day, 4 cephalexin a day, and 1 1/2 azathioprine every other day.

After a couple of weeks of this routine, Robin's appetite started getting poor again. I took him to the vet to be rechecked on Tues and they took a blood sample.

Blood work indicated his liver values were high...it was 125. Back in June, before all of this started, his liver value was 25. And when they did bloodwork at the vet school 2-3 weeks ago, liver value was 60. So our vet and the UF vet school decided the best thing to do is to stop the azathioprine and also stop the cephalexin. His skin was so bad at first that they felt they really needed to blast him with meds to try to get this under control. Now he is on just prednisone. He's going to continue taking 4 pred per day for another week. Then they're going to re-check him, re-do his blood work, and we'll see about going down to 3 pred a day and see how he responds. The crusties on his skin are all gone and he's starting to re-grow fur. :clap I would say he's gone from a total mess to a semi-mess! And since his appetite was poor, our vet has him on canned I/D food now, which he is scarfing down. Sooo...that's the update. He needs to gain some more weight and I hope that the pemphigus can be controlled without having him on all of those pills. 3 pred a day would be a dream compared to all the pills I've been doling out to the poor baby these last few weeks. I'll try to take a pic of him tonight so you can see his progress.

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

So glad he is making progress :yay You may want to give him milk thistle for his liver...can't hurt :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

So glad to get this update on Robin, I've not been as active on GT as I would have liked lately, but he has been in my thoughts.

Fingers crossed that he continues to make progress :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm so happy to hear this update!! Please keep us posted on how things go w him taking only the Pred. I agree with Michelle, I'd also supplement for his liver, can't hurt. Give that handsome cow-doggy a kiss for me :kiss2:wub: :wub:

What is milk thistle? Where do you buy it? Is it a powder you sprinkle on their food?

I will be happy to give the slighly bony cowdoggie a kiss from you! :)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm so happy to hear this update!! Please keep us posted on how things go w him taking only the Pred. I agree with Michelle, I'd also supplement for his liver, can't hurt. Give that handsome cow-doggy a kiss for me :kiss2:wub: :wub:

What is milk thistle? Where do you buy it? Is it a powder you sprinkle on their food?

I will be happy to give the slighly bony cowdoggie a kiss from you! :)

I believe it is a capsule. You can also give SAMe, or Denamarin, which is both milk thistle and SAMe, but I think it is expensive. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will post.

Sending continued good thoughts his way!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am so glad to hear handsome Robin is doing better! I give Fletcher a milk thistle capsule every day because he is on regular pain meds for his arthritis. SAMe is good too, but much more expensive, and it gave Fletcher bad poop, but he has IBD.

I am so glad to hear handsome Robin is doing better! I give Fletcher a milk thistle capsule every day because he is on regular pain meds for his arthritis. SAMe is good too, but much more expensive, and it gave Fletcher bad poop, but he has IBD.

where do you buy milk thistle? is it available at walgreens or do you have to go to a place like GNC?

It's good to hear good news. Hoping it gets better and better.

I used Milk Thistle as well for Misty. Most health food stores carry it and instead of giving the capsules(they were a bit large) I just opened them and sprinkled on her food

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

That is very good news that Robin in on the mend! We're happy for him and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Tes623

Glad to hear Robin is doing better. I feel for you with the prednisone though. When William was at his worst, about 8 years ago, he was taking 80mg of pred per day and it was like a never ending pee fest at my house. Now he just down to 5mg every other day :colgate

Thanks everyone!

I found milk thistle at CVS and started him on that last night, too.

Hi again everyone!

Just wanted to share some before-and-now pictures of Robin. What a difference the right diagnosis and the right meds have made!

Here are the before pics from last month:

robinskin008.jpg

robinskin004.jpg

robinskin001.jpg

And here he is this morning.

As you can see, all of his crusties are gone and he's starting to grow hair back!

He used to have red crusties on his nose, too. Those are gone but he still has bald spots on his nose. At least they're a healthy pink instead of red and painful.

arlington128.jpg

arlington129.jpg

arlington131.jpg

arlington132.jpg

arlington130.jpg

Hopefully he will keep improving even after he's weaned down from the prednisone.

Guest ChasesMum

oh my word what an improvement!!!! YAY ROBIN!!

on the tick list I was on I read something about "liver support factors" as a supplement, not sure what it was but the milk thistle made me remember that. just a random thoguth for a Sunday morning! lol

So glad he's improving. Love that boy (and Toby too of course).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He looks great! The milk thistle from a Walgreens or whatever is just fine.

I also have Denamarin here which as someone mentioned is milk thistle with SAMe. It's a chewable tablet like Deramaxx so it's really easy to give. I was told to give the denamarin on an empty stomach, I'm not sure if that is because of the milk thistle or the SAMe though.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Pemphigus foliaceus is an autoimmune disease. For some reason, Robin's body started attacking healthy skin cells and perceiving them as foreign... it's a strange disease. It's common in some breeds, but from everything I've read, it's not considered common in greyhounds, although any breed can get it.

We had to blast him with tons of drugs to attempt to bring him into remission. Now that he's getting better we will lower the amt of the drugs to see how little he can take while still staying in remission. It's a balancing act.

I can't wait til we can tone down the prednisone. He's a peeing fool taking 4 pred a day. He wakes me up every 2 hours every night because he MUST go pee.