Ekg

I vaguely remember being quoted by a specialty vet at around $200+ but we didn't get it done.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

IIRC ours was @ $250.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

When I first started seeing Dr. Karen with Curfew, she did one. You all aren't going to believe this, but it was about 2 years ago, and it was $35! I am sure her prices are a little higher now.

Do remember, this is the northwestern corner of Georgia, and not a metropolitan city, re: prices, BUT there are, believe it or not, quite a few vets within 30 miles of mine.

Guest Energy11

If it's $250 somewhere, it's probably $500 here!

My vet wants my cat to have an MRI--the quote I got is "about $2,000." eek.gif

When Curfew had his first "episode," we looked into getting an MRI. It was $2500 in the Greater Atlanta area.

My EZ had a heart murmer - and they sent him for what I believe was an "echo" rather than the EKG. It was just over $200.00.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I believe the OP is confusing an EKG with an echocardiogram.

I belive you maybe right!

I think the topic title is pretty specific for "Ekg" with medical issue not specified. Considering one (EKG) assesses the electrical function/pathways/polarization/repolarization etc and the other assesses via ultrasound the structure function/cardiac output assessment, its safer not to assume. Ultrasounds are probably more expensive than an EKC. Miss Rose had several and with the discount I got it was still rather pricey. An EKG should not be quite as expensive as an ECHO.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I think the topic title is pretty specific for "Ekg" with medical issue not specified. Considering one (EKG) assesses the electrical function/pathways/polarization/repolarization etc and the other assesses via ultrasound the structure function/cardiac output assessment, its safer not to assume. Ultrasounds are probably more expensive than an EKC. Miss Rose had several and with the discount I got it was still rather pricey. An EKG should not be quite as expensive as an ECHO.

Thank you for the medical lesson-- I am well aware of the different diagnostics procedures. It was the fact that the OP was taken back how pricey the "EKG" was that lead me to believe that she might have been confused with her medical terminology. An average price of a lead 2 EKG should be around $35 where an echo should run between $200-$400. Big difference. No reason to get snarky.

Whoopsie. I assumed echo, which was what my price was for.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you for the medical lesson-- I am well aware of the different diagnostics procedures. It was the fact that the OP was taken back how pricey the "EKG" was that lead me to believe that she might have been confused with her medical terminology. An average price of a lead 2 EKG should be around $35 where an echo should run between $200-$400. Big difference. No reason to get snarky.

No snark intended....

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I don't know. All I know is my pretty grey and dog savvy friend told me that when the vet suggested an EKG in her mind she went "OK -- what can it be $40 or $50?" Then was told $400. Maybe she was confused. She starts school in the morning but I'll ask her to confirm. the office call was $110.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest greytloves

Our old vet used to do an EKG as part of his normal annual exam. Never an extra charge.

However an echo was done on one of mine years, years ago and it was around $200. Mainly because it had to be read elsewhere.

Guest Tes623

I paid $650 for Scarlett's echo a couple of years ago in Dallas. Huge difference for the same test we had done in Michigan for $200 a year earlier.

I think you guys may be right...the vet probably said "echocardigram" and she heard "electrocardigram". I asked a few human nurses tonight and they explained the difference as the Echo is like a sonogram of the heart vs. hooking up leads and printing out a report.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg