Apollo Has Lung Mets

Guest bigorangedog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just isn't right. I am so sorry to hear that Apollo has mets. Apollo is such a happy boy in his video...my heart is breaking for you as I know you have been through so much recently.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh, Jen...it's just so damn unfair. You've done everything right, thought of Apollo first (and still are), and yet the monster can steal him away. But not before it's time. You are so finely attuned to your guys, and especially the ones who have been on this sad journey. He's been so brave, and you will know if he still wants to fight. Even knowing the inevitable conclusion, you will let him face it on his own terms. I know he's made you proud, and filled your heart with love every minute that you share, just as he knows how completely he is loved in return. And that's what matters.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Jen, I am so sorry. Apollo's video made me smile, but he was smiling bigger. grouphug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry the news wasn't better. I know your boy will want for nothing, for as long as he has. Sending hugs to you and your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tenderhearts

I'm so sorry, Jen. I will never forget your kindness in taking Gorgeous George the lurcher who wanted to eat my cats, and placing him in a loving home. I only wish I could do more for you in this difficult time. Sending the gentlest of hugs from Kansas. :grouphug

I'm so sorry to hear this, Jen. :cry1 Your sweet little boy has been such a trooper, and a great example of what a three legged hound can do - when I was considering amputation for Sutra, your video of him shooting around the yard made me feel much better about the possibility.

I hope that he will show some improvement and you can have some more time together :goodluck:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Jen,

I am so sorry. I hope he has many happy days left with you spoiling him.

Jane

p.s. Dr. Couto has been having some success arresting lung mets with the cancer drug Palladia, combined with some herbal meds. With his back, I'm not sure you would want to do this for Apollo; just posting it in case you weren't aware.

Thinking of you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this again.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry Jen.

Diamond was hit with OS in another leg as well as kidney failure. If it was just one or the other, we could have given her quality of life for a little while longer. But the two cancelled out each other as far as being able to use meds. And she went to the Bridge on the xray table.

I wish I could offer more than just a cyber hug.

Guest bigorangedog

He's sleeping now, but was up most of the night. The biggest part of our problem is that he has very unusual reactions to meds, and they stay in his system FOREVER. So it makes it very hard to tell what is a side-effect of a medication, and what is pain/neurological/etc.

A few weeks ago we gave him a (low) dose of morphine, and it was obviously in his system for a good 24 hours before he was back to himself. So overnight, I don't know whether he was dysphoric or in pain. He was panting and whining, but was it from the Tramadol, or what? He was ataxic, but was it from the gabapentin? He was out of it, but was it from the bit of Ace he was given early yesterday morning before his xrays? All but the Tramadol SHOULD have been out of his system, but it's Apollo, so we just can't say.

So, we err on the side of not letting him be in pain, and give more pain meds. But maybe it's the pain meds that are causing the larger part of our issues? We just don't know. We have tried a variety of meds and gotten different unfortunate side-effects with each one.

And there we are. Maybe if I were to bite the bullet and take him off all drugs for 48 hrs, I would get a baseline to see how much pain he's actually in and have a better idea of how to control it. But do I want to let him be in pain for part/all of that 48 hrs? No. I know he is in some pain from his back, maybe a lot of pain.

I generally have a pretty strong stomach for this kind of thing. If I know I am trying my best and listening carefully to the dog, I can make it through things like this. Basically, running a "doggie hospice" like I have been doing for the past 18 months. But last night was a bit much for me. Had to have DH take over the vigil for a while because I just couldn't stand it any longer. Apollo has always reminded me of Tanner, the first boy we lost to osteo, last February. And last night reminded me so much of Tanner's last long night.

And Apollo has always been so hard to read. He's not terribly trusting, although he trusts me more than anyone else. So it's hard for me to tell when he is saying he is done, and when he is trying to bounce back.

Well. He's sleeping comfortably now, thank goodness. When he wakes up, we will see where we are at.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan didn't tolerate opiate pain medications. He'd pant and pace. I found this out after his amputation and mistook it for pain. We had to use gapabentin and NSAIDS or pred. only for him.

Guest bigorangedog

We're calling it. Dr Meg thinks, and we agree, that he doesn't seem to have the will to pull through this. The "close" vet will come in a little while to help him go. I just hate that we are here again. I really wanted more good days for my boy.

cry1.gifgrouphug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.