Apollo Has Lung Mets

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

Well it turns out I was right, just wrong about the location. He has mets.

Strangely enough, it's not the mets that are causing his trouble. It's his back that is trouble. But his spine still looks A-okay on the rads. We took new ones today.

He's been on prednisone for 6 days now (today is day 6). The 1st 3 days we saw marked improvement. He was moving much more willingly, seemed happy, was bopping into the kitchen for treats whenever he heard me rustling around in there. Then Saturday and Sunday he slid back downhill. The best we can figure, he tweaked his herniated disc on Friday night or Saturday and it set him back.

He was up quite a bit last night. So this AM I called Dr Meg and talked. Decided that I needed to know whether it was spinal mets once and for all, because if it is, then we're just torturing him. But if it's not, then we can probably make his back feel good again and keep on trucking.

So we redid the rads, which were a month old, figuring that if it was bone mets, they would be showing up clearly by now. Instead we saw lung mets showing up clearly, but no bone mets.

But he's breathing fine, still has a good appetite. Only outward sign of the lung mets is that his eyes are gooey. So the lungs aren't even the source of his problems. If it were just the lungs, he might could go another month or two in relatively good spirits.

Thought hard about letting him go today. But we decided to let him rest very well today (aided by a touch of Ace), up his pain meds, and see what tomorrow brings. If he's showing some improvement, then we decide that he has the will to keep on going. If he is still down, then we will probably be saying goodbye quite soon.

My sweet, gentle boy. :weep

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smiley

I feel like I've posted this sentiment for you way too many times lately, but I am truly sorry Jen. Please give your sweet boy a big hug and tell him how very brave he's been.

:(

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about Apollo! He is a VERY handsome boy!

Hoping he has many many more happy days with you guy!

Sending him lots of love and prayers!

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm so sorry. I've been there with 2 of mine. Let me know if there is anything I can do or answer any questions.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest greygirls2

I am so sorry . I just looked at Apollo's video and he's so vibrant and full of life for a boy just two months past amputation. I hope you get a little more time to love and cherish your sweet boy. Hugs and cold wet nose nuzzles from us.

So sad. I am very sorry to read your news. Make each day special, take photos and keep him close to your heart.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds