Chase Needs Prayers Please! This Isnt Sounding Good.

Guest ChasesMum

Guest ChasesMum

history posts

so I took Chase back into the vet today since her leg seems to be more swollen, and I noticed some fluid pooling in the skin of her chest. made me wonder what was going on inside to be honest, and today I was told that he didnt like the sound of her heart, it sounded "funny" not a murmur but just funny. He said he was concerned that she is developing right sided CHF. well $h!t. this was not here a week ago when he examined her.

I am trying to hold it together, but my 5yo DD already asked if Chase was going to be fixed up, i told her that she was pretty sick. She looked at me and said "so she might die?" and I told her "yes, she might die". "But mommy I love her!" So i told her that we are doing everything we can to try to fix Chase, but her heart might be sick, that the doctors will look at her heart tomorrow and see if they can fix it. but sometimes we are too sick to fix. (but all this she knows from nearly 2 years ago when her grampa developed a bowel obstruction from a cancerous tumor and almost dies multiple times over the next 5 months. )

So... i looked up a CHF thread on GT but it was from 2007 so i was hoping there was more dealing with this currently or in the recent past. HELP!!! I don't know what to do from here.

:weep:

Edited by ChasesMum

I am so sorry it's all happening. I have no experience with it so all I can offer are prayers, and she's tucked tightly in mine

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about all of this!

CHF is a serious condition, BUT, it can be controlled with medications! I'd see what the vets can offer for this, and go from there. There are drugs to control blood pressure. Drugs to make the heart pump more effectively, and drugs to drain the excess fluids in the lungs and extermeties as well.

Talk to the vet about all your options.

Sending, lots of prayers, love and many hugs!

Guest ChasesMum

i should add in case the history posts are too convoluted to go into, she is 3 weeks post diagnossi of ehrlichiosis and possibly some immune mediated something or other/allergic reaction to something. She is on Doxycycline and Prednisone currently, and pepcid for her tummy.

i might need to blisterpack meds to keep it all straight! :blink:

ETA she is spending the morning with the cardiologist for a workup. OY my VISA! :blush

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest greymama002

So sorry you and your family are facing this. I don't have any experience with CFH in dogs, but my mom had it & my dad has been living with it for years. As it progressed, he has been less able to tolerate physical exertion, but taking many medications has managed it for him. Hopefully there are similar medications for dogs that your vet can prescribe. Many thoughts & prayers for you and your family and :kiss2 for Chase.

Edited by greymama002

No advice, just :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Karen, am so sorry that Chase is not doing well. I dont' know much about CHF in hounds but want you to know we are here for you - whatever you need.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Prayers to you from us.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest ChasesMum

Karen, am so sorry that Chase is not doing well. I dont' know much about CHF in hounds but want you to know we are here for you - whatever you need.

thanks deb! we'll see what the doc says in the morning...hopefully its something we can prevent from getting worse.

thx everyone for the prayers... keep em coming!

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest Smiley

I'm so sorry you are both going through this. I have no words of advice, but am sending many hugs. . . Please keep us posted.

CHF is not the worst thing in the world. Oh, it ain't great but found early it's controlled with meds and can be for a very long time. My 10yo IG w/the murmur and enlarged heart takes lasix (diuretic to reduce excess fluid in the lungs and body.) Enalapril and Vetmedin (to make the heart's contractions stronger and more effective -- in a nutshell). She still plays and eats well, breathes easy and takes her 1-2 mile walk per day. Unless there's something else causing it, like something related to one of the other conditions he has, it should be just fine; especially if it really wasn't there last week! That should mean you've caught it very early. Sit tight and wait for the tests. I'm guessing they're doing an Echocardiogram, right? AKA a heart ultrasound? That will show them three dimensional size of the heart and how well it's beating. It will show if there's any backflow through the valves (that's a murmur, it makes a funny sound when it does it).

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Lots of good thoughts for you and Chase, Karen. I hope you can get some good rest tonight and that you get good news tomorrow. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am sorry I have no advice or suggestions. But we are sending a lot of Hugs and prayers.... :hope :hope :grouphug :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Our Dally had CHF for 2-3 years prior to passing on. She was on medication for last part of her life but she lived it well and the Cardiologist I believe saved her life and prolonged it. I hope something similar can be done for Chase. Good thoughts coming your way.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Pearl had heart disease and was supposed to pass from CHF. She was diagnosed at age 5 and given a prognosis of 2-3 yrs. She went on meds and made it to age 12 succombing to cancer. There are a lot of great drugs out there that aren't that harsh on the body and give the hounds many years of quality life.

I'm glad you're seeing a cardiologist. I hope he/she can help.