Luna (Menthos)

Guest ladyhound

Guest ladyhound

I had thought, perhaps, that if I had my wonderful girl for so many happy years that it might lessen the pain of losing her. If only that were true. I adopted my Luna in 2004. I got her in April, and formally adopted her May 22, 2004. She was wonderful, beautiful, perfect...but did not especially seem to like the name Mentos. Like the breath mint. Nor did she pay much attention to it. One beautiful night when the moon was high I took my girl on a walk and was musing over some names. Moon goddess names...said several, then she and I agreed on "Luna" when she looked at me. So it was settled, she was my Luna.

64e3039e.jpg

Luna went everywhere with me. We were a team, each an extension of the other. She was my other half! But then, everybody loved Luna: she became close to my nephews, my sister, my friends, and my parents!

HPIM0883.jpg87a60c66.jpgd5782828.jpgHPIM1373.jpg

Luna and I welcomed Jade to our happy home in February 2007. The two got along just like a big sister and a little one should. Kind of bratty to each other at times (lol) but I know they truly loved each other. Me and my girls were a self contained unit, Jade and Luna and Jennifer. We had a very happy home and a wonderful life together.

myladiesforsignature-1.jpg

When Luna had some sporadic limping problems, a course of Rimadyl cleared them up, and it had not happened for months. The vet said it was the typical older age arthritis, which of course at that time...it was. She was just fine,until June. She started limping. Not bad, just limping. We went to the vet who said we would try prednisone this time, and felt sure it was the same chronic issue with arthritis. After a week, it was getting worse. The vet called me back and told me to double up the dose but it didn't work. I made another appointment.

Over a two week period, she went from bearing weight on the foot to refusing to use the foot at all. I was scared but that day (one of the worst days of my entire life) at the vet I still was not even THINKING of osteo. I think my brain would not allow me to. The vet felt her legs again, and made note of the marked change in her mobility, then did xrays.

I heard a sniffle and a big exhale of breath behind the door before the vet came in. My heart stopped and...I just knew. He came in, and told me that we were seeing some changes in the bone structure...both new growth and deterioration. I stopped him and said "does it look moth eaten?" and he nodded with a look of such regret. He knew that I knew. Of course I was crying then, and he handed me tissue. He said it was in the shoulder. It may have spread, but he had xrayed only the shoulder. I mentioned amputation, but knew she was not a candidate at her age. He told me that even if she were young, it was in a very bad place. If it had been lower down on the leg...and she were younger...

but no, that was not our reality. I told him I wanted her out of pain, we started Tramadol. On the first day I had to give her an extra pill during the night. Day two I had to give her three pills. Still, she suffered. She couldn't walk anymore, not even three footed. I started to carry her most of the time when she wanted out. It was so hard, because I could not touch her right side at all...but she could not walk. Even a few hops exhausted her. It was rather like once she knew that I knew the problem, she was just letting me know how truly bad it was. Even laying down and fully medicated, she would occasionally yelp in pain.

After I learned it was osteo it was only a few days but...long, endless, days of misery. My poor baby was being killed by an evil monster. She gave me the sign-a really specific sign-that I told her to please give me "if she had to go"...and it was so obvious anyway. My girl had almost no joy left in life (only food....she loved her treats to the end) and I refused to take away any more dignity. She didn't want to be carried anymore or have to wear doggie diapers.

Rest well, my love. I know beyond a doubt that you are up at the bridge playing like a puppy again, with all four legs, in perfect health. You have friends and family there, and so much love that I hope you will not miss me until I get there to be with you again.

There is no better word than bereft. I am truly bereft from the depths of my soul. I am also beyond privileged and grateful that I was given the profound honor of having you in my life, Luna. Thank you for being my girl. Forever and ever, my girl. Always and forever

040.jpg

What a beauty she was, and what beauty in your love and care for her. Godspeed, unforgettable girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Jennifer, my heart broke when you informed me of Luna's osteo and her passing. I will forever remember her sweetness, her grace and her beauty. I'm so very sorry, I know how badly this hurts. You and Jade will be in my prayers. If you need anything, please let me know.

Godspeed beautiful Luna.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Luna. Take comfort in knowing that your sweet girl is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

I do hate cancer! It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so very Sorry! She was a Very Special Girl you can hear in your Beautiful tribute to her.... :grouphug

Run Free Beautiful Luna :gh_run

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I am so very sorry she had to leave, just reading your words one can feel how very much you love her.

God speed to you baby girl, knowing how very much you are loved and will be greatly missed.

Please watch over those who love you and are left behind with broken hearts.

Until you all meet again

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Jennifer, your tribute to Luna is one of the most heart wrenching, beautiful, loving stories I have ever read. I am so sorry for your loss. Remember that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us even when they are not. I hope you find some comfort in that. grouphug.gif

Godspeed sweet Luna ghrun.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so fortunate to have met pretty Luna. Jennifer, I know our girls are having a grand time hanging out together. She looks so much like Miz Foxy in that last picture.

Sending much love and hugs to you and Jade. :f_pink

Godspeed Luna the beautiful :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm sorry...the tribute to your sweet Luna was awesome. Rest well, pretty girl.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)