Neyla Needs Your Thoughts

As I head to bed, I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone for your kind words, wisdom, and support. It means SO much to me and I only wish I could respond individually to each of you. There is certainly something to be said for being able to talk to so many people who have been affected by osteo in some way, although I wish it affected none of us.

Anyway, sleep hopefully awaits. Neyla would say goodnight as well, but she's sacked out roaching on the couch as usual. This picture was taken some time ago, but trust me, it's the same view: :lol

Roachsplayed.jpg

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wub:

Sleep tight, Jen!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest zoolaine

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Neyla - you love her and that alone means the entire world to her and is all that matters to her. :grouphug

Jen,

I am so sorry for this terrible news. I really hate this disease.

If you decide to come to OSU for any reason, please let me know. We have a small support group here to help any hound (and their human) who needs to visit Columbus.

We can put you up in a local home so you don't have the cost of a hotel. We can be with you for support while you are at OSU. In short, we are willing to provide whatever support we are able to.

Jane

finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

Guest BlackandBrindle

I am so sorry the news was cancer. :sad1

Sending lots of good thoughts for your baby girl and for you. :grouphug

I did decide a long time ago that I would not put Neyla through amputation if we ever had to make that decision. While she's no longer the spook she was when I adopted her, she is still fearful at the vet. I won't put her through the stressful experience that surgery and follow-up visits would be for her, as much as it breaks my heart to even think about making that decision. We also live in a condo with a good number of stairs and I just don't see how it would be possible for her to navigate them post-amp.

Just a little bit of information based on my observation of Dr. Couto's team and the many greyhounds that come to OSU.

OSU recognizes that greyhounds are very unique dogs. They use a special protocol for greyhounds to deal not just with their physical differences but also their emotional sensitivity. They would be happy to share this protocol with your orthopedic vet if you decide to do an amputation.

After a few weeks, most amputees are able to handle some stairs. You might need to put something on the treads to make it less slippery. You can purchase a harness that allows you to provide some safety.

The chemo is usually a drip. It can be done in a private office at the vets with you cuddling her. It typically takes no more than 30 to 60 minutes.

All that being said, you know your Neyla best. Only you can determine whether the stress of the hospital stay and the recovery are outweighed by the potential for more pain free time. If she has no mets, amputation may give her many months of pain free time to soak up your love and spoiling.

Whatever you decide, it will be out of love for your sweet Neyla. She will always know that you love her.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest vahoundlover

Damncry1.gif I HATE this disease!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Neyla. I am so sorry you are facing this journey.

Guest bigorangedog

Just a little bit of information based on my observation of Dr. Couto's team and the many greyhounds that come to OSU.

OSU recognizes that greyhounds are very unique dogs. They use a special protocol for greyhounds to deal not just with their physical differences but also their emotional sensitivity. They would be happy to share this protocol with your orthopedic vet if you decide to do an amputation.

After a few weeks, most amputees are able to handle some stairs. You might need to put something on the treads to make it less slippery. You can purchase a harness that allows you to provide some safety.

The chemo is usually a drip. It can be done in a private office at the vets with you cuddling her. It typically takes no more than 30 to 60 minutes.

All that being said, you know your Neyla best. Only you can determine whether the stress of the hospital stay and the recovery are outweighed by the potential for more pain free time. If she has no mets, amputation may give her many months of pain free time to soak up your love and spoiling.

Whatever you decide, it will be out of love for your sweet Neyla. She will always know that you love her.

Jane

Just a little add to what Jane said. If a dog could do stairs before, they'll probably be able to do stairs after. My Apollo (tripawd since late Feb) can do them no problemo, especially shorter flights. Chemo has been a breeze for us. Usually I sit in the room with him by myself for the 45 min it takes (or our good friend the vet sits with us and we chat while the pup dozes). We come in, she gives him a shot of Benadryl, takes some blood to get a white cell count, and we wait 15 min for that. Then she puts in the IV (this is the only stressful part and it's over in seconds) and we sit around for the drip. Of course there are no guarantees with an amputation, nor with any part of this horrible disease. But like Jane, just wanted to add the extra info in case it helps you. I DON'T want to tell you what to do, and as I said before, totally support whatever decision you make for her. I've made both kinds of decision for my personal dogs, so I know how it feels. (FWIW, after my 2 amputation experiences, this would always be my chosen course from now on unless there was a compelling reason not to.) Wishing you peace during this hard journey!

Sending lots of prayers. You can't fall apart. Neyla needs you to focus on her treatment :grouphug

What she said. We are ll for you. Hugs/

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

:weep :weep :weep

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I took Jane up on her offer back in oct for Diamond's amp (she was 2 weeks shy of her 12 BD.) Jane was a godsend. Not only financially but emotionally too. She spent DAYS at the OSU hospital with me. Just waiting.

She did this not once but twice as I went back out with Pearl in Jan. Pearl's not a spook but hates vets and is a velcro dog. They discharged her early to stay with me at Jane's house. The people at OSU are so very special. It was worth the 9 hr trip both times for me.

Good luck in whatever decision you make. It's not easy but is done with love.

I am so very Sorry, we will be saying lots of prayers! :hope :hope :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Roachsplayed.jpg

This is probably my favorite photo of this girl, sacked out with half-empty wine bottles over her head. Look at those frito feet.

I'm keeping the light on here for you, Neyla candle.gif and keeping you and your mom in my prayers.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest greyfriends

Just reading this and sending prayers and healing light from our home to Neyla and you, Jen. Trust yourself to make the right decisions on this journey. :grouphug