Brandy Is At The E-Vet Tonight

I have a 9 year old hound who took a turn for the worse tonight. She's usually so outgoing, happy and joyeous, but today when I woke up she was stumbling a little and kept staring at the walls, into space, etc. She is just not herself at all. After an hour she got a bit slower, but still ate her food, willingly took a chicken strip and drank some water. My husband called the vet and they said she'd likely suffered a mild seizure or had low blood sugar, and recommended the Emergency vet if her state got worse.

An hour later she was so slow and disorientated I tried to move her downstairs and it was very difficult to keep her on her feet. She layed down at every given oppertunity... like standing was an effort. She started to cry, and the whining noises sounded so laboured, it was clear we had to take her in. I was already in tears at this stage.. Brandy is a therapy dog, she has been with me since 2005... I am actually closer to this hound than I am to my own parents or family, so I feel utterly, completely devastated. The E-vet was so nice.. she ran bloodwork on Brandy and while all of her numbers seemed okay, she is severely dehydrated.. I'm not sure how this happened.. water is always within reach and I always assumed she drank enough. The vet kept her there overnight so she could get IV fluids in her, and some added painkillers... the vet thought she seemed to be in pain. I just hope that dehydration is the only thing causing her such disorientation and spaced-out-ness... I just pray that it's not a sign of something way worse... it happened so quickly. Yesterday she was her bubbly, playful, happy self.. and in a flash she's gone compeltely downhill.

Sorry if this post is overly emotional but I just cannot stand to see my girl in pain.. we have immigrated to the US together, we've been everywhere together, I saved her myself from a neglectful situation... I just love this hound and seeing her like this is so crushing.

If you believe in praying... please, I would be so grateful if you'd send one her way for a complete recovery... she looked so awful and the waiting is unbearable.

wv26.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry your sweet girl is going through this difficulty. I'm relieved that she is under close watch veterinary care. Please know that Brandy is in our prayers, and positive, healing thoughts. She is a beautiful girl who sounds like she is extraordinarily special to be a therapy dog.

Wishing you much strength... You've come to the right place for understanding support. grouphug.gif

Thank you for the kind replies.. they mean more than I can describe. Brandy is an outstanding therapy dog. I suffer from panic disorder and all-round anxieties and she knows how I am, how to comfort me, and I swear we share the same sense of humour.

She is so dear to me and I am so utterly afraid of losing her.

My husband just called the E vet, they said she is stable and swaying less when they walk her around.. that's good, right..?? They said she's hardly swaying now at all, but she's very scared and nervous (she's terrified of vets though.) They also said that some of her other questionable numbers (from the bloodwork) became more normal after she'd recieved IV fluids.. If the dehydration was all it was, I will be so relieved.

Edited by starhound

Oh boy, do I know how you feel! Well, as much as anyone else can, anyway ... :blush I lost my therapy girl last year and it was devastating. We grow so close to these very special dogs, don't we? :bighug

Sending many, many good thoughts and prayers your way for both you and for Brandy. Looks hopeful for her from your last message, but I'm thinking of her today and hoping that she continues to improve and can come home very soon. Who knows what caused the dehydration, but it can indeed cause disorientation and confusion and all kinds of physical problems, so hopefully that's all it was. Could she have got into something salty? Did you open a new bag of food lately? Just thinking aloud.

:hope :hope :hope

Edited cos I can't spell this morning.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh boy, do I know how you feel! Well, as much as anyone else can, anyway ... :blush I lost my therapy girl last year and it was devastating. We grow so close to these very special dogs, don't we? :bighug

Sending many, many good thoughts and prayers your way for both you and for Brandy. Looks hopeful for her from your last message, but I'm thinking of her today and hoping that she continues to improve and can come home very soon. Who knows what caused the dehydration, but it can indeed cause disorientation and confusion and all kinds of physical problems, so hopefully that's all it was. Could she have got into something salty? Did you open a new bag of food lately? Just thinking aloud.

:hope :hope :hope

Edited cos I can't spell this morning.

Thank you :) It's a comfort to know that dehydration on its own can cause those symptoms, to be honest. I'm sitting here worrying about way worse things because of how she was stumbling and staring into space. I can't think of anything salty she got into.. she's usually around me 24/7 but I guess the possiblity is always there. I go to pick her up in an hour... I hope she's feeling better, albeit probably tranquilized.

I haven't eaten in 24 hours, oops :D Should probably convince my guy to make a detour to Panera Bread on the way.

Wonderful to hear she is on the mend. The big question is how did she get so dehydrated since as you said, water was always within reach.

Keeping your girl in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping she is home with you soon.

I know about the waiting and how nerve wracking it is. I also have some hounds who are terrified beyond words about being at the vet. It is very disrtressing to see.

Please update when you hear something.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I hope Brandy is improving and home with you. I see that you are in Maryland. I live in Montgomery County. If there is anything that I can help with, please let me know. Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Did e-vet do an abdominal x-ray? Might be worth a quick view to make sure nothing is going on there.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

More good thoughts for you and Brandy. I hope she's home and recovering. If in the end it was dehydration, try to keep an eye out for how often she drinks. One of our boys just doesn't drink, hardly at all. So we keep him hydrated by having LOTS of water in his food twice daily plus we feed him treats in his bowl with water.

Please let us know how Brandy is doing.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.