Zoe - Stage 5 Lymphosarcoma :(

Guest 4baddogs

Guest 4baddogs

Zoe went blind in her right eye, literally overnight, on Friday, January 29. We noticed it had a white half moon shape on the bottom portion and Saturday morning the white had taken over half of her eye and she was running into everything. We rushed her to the vet who examined her, noting she wasn't seeing properly although they weren't opthamologists. They referred us to the opthamologists and we saw them on Monday. She was put on 3 eye meds and 2 oral meds, blood work and other diagnostics were performed. This past Sunday, I noticed her eye which was previously white had turned pink/red. I called Monday morning and was told to bring her in ASAP. The doctor said her eye was beginning to hemmorage, so they performed a quick procedure where they aspirated cells to determine what caused her blindness. I'm forgetting a lot of things right now because I'm upset. Anyway, the doctor just called with the results and Zoe has malignant stage-5 lymphosarcoma. Her eye isn't the primamry site. I'm physically ill and can't begin to think what to do first. She's 15 and a half years old and doesn't tolerate anesthesia well. The practice has an oncologist on site, but I want to talk to Dr. Couto.

I know I'm rambling, but I don't know what to do. :(

Edited by 4baddogs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. Some lymphomas are treatable. Dr. Couto will know what to do.

Hugs,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest zoolaine
:grouphug I am so sorry. Sunny was diagnosed a few weeks ago with a high grade cutaneous lymphoma. It too appeared almost over night. He has started chemo and although the first chemo drug didn't work he started feeling better within a few days from an Elspar injection. He went from a dog who could barely walk and I thought was going to the bridge to about 75% of his normal self. Don't give up hope, they may be able to make your baby feel better with chemo so you can have a little more time together. Just give Zoe all the love you can.

Guest Energy11

I would get in touch with Dr. Couto ASAP, and just go from there. Take a deep breath, too, if you can.

You can call or email Dr. Couto. He ALWAYS answers his emails. couto.1@osu.edu

One thing I can say is, 15.5 is AN AMAZING AGE, so you've done A LOT RIGHT! Good luck, lots of love, hugs and many prayers!

Guest budsmom

I'm so very sorry. My girlfriend lost her heart girl to T cell lymphoma before Thanksgiving. It seemed like hers appeared overnight also, and that it was a very aggressive form. Lots of love and white light to you and Zoe.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Paula. No advice here, either....lymphoma is what took Buddy, but his was in the lymph nodes.

I am sure you will do right by your dear girl, whatever that might be. You are so blessed to still have her, at 15.5 years of age!!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I share your concern but, this is still a cancer that will respond to chemo and usually the eyesight will return too. There is a stage 5a and a stage 5b lymphoma--basically the difference being how well your baby is feeling. At your pups age I understand if you don't want to go through the injectable chemo regiment but, I encourage you to at least consider pred (but, never start the pred if you're even considering injectables). Please let us know how Dr Couto's responds. Sorry :(

Guest lovemyhounds

I am so sorry. Sending prayers and good thoughts for Zoe and you. I hope you can talk to Dr. Couto soon and he has some uplifting news regarding treatments.

Guest 4baddogs

Thanks everyone. It's so damn overwhelming. My other 3 all died from various forms of cancer, but I had no warning and it was so quick that they weren't even given a chance.

I emailed Dr. Couto because I called and was told he's out of town until February 22. *UGH* I may see the oncologist at our vets office to be ahead of the game, if there's a chance to do anything at all for Zoe. I've ashamedly never paid much attention to the conversations about chemo because I never wanted to be part of that awful group. Now I wish I had because I need to know what we're up against.

Thanks again for everything and I'll be checking back often.

~Paula and Zoe

Adding my prayers. My sweet LaceyLaine had Lymphoma. Please contact Dr. Couto. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.