Wilbur Is Wasting Away

Guest Adrianne

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Adrianne

New Day = New Challenges for Wilbur.

It seems we get one problem taken care of and another arises. The food suggestions were great, and I swear I see a difference in him. He looks more filled out.

He's had three accidents in the house in the last 30 hours. He's been outside for a pee break twice this morning, one time right after the other. He went out the first time, came in, and went right back out. He peed the second time, walked a few steps, and peed again. Then as he kept walking, he was leaking.

His good back leg is also very shaky this morning. It shook while he was standing in the yard and then again both times while he was squatting.

He has an appointment with a new vet but not until Monday. It's the earliest my husband's work schedule will allow.

The good news? For Wilbur's second pee break, he walked through the kitchen and eased himself out the dog door. yay.gif I was already in the back yard and saw him looking at me through the glass. Without much hesitation, he came across the kitchen. I had a second of worry when he was halfway through; I could tell he was trying to lower himself a little to get that rod through without banging it on the top of the door.

I'm keeping my chin up. He's come through so much already, and he's a strong determined boy.

Guest bigorangedog

Maybe it's the medication :dunno

Always prayers for Wilbur :candle

Yeah, I was going to say maybe the meds too... I'm not sure what he's on, but if he's on any kind of steroids, that can make them pee like crazy.

But am glad to hear that he's looking and seeming to feel a bit better! He definitely sounds like a strong brave boy!!

Well he's up and moving and that's a good thing! Keep it up sweetie, you're doing great!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest iseegreyhounds

Another side effect of Deramaxx is urinary problems, including loss of bladder control. It's sound more and more like Wilbur may be suffering from several of the known side effects of this drug. I encourage you to google Deramaxx side effects and do some research on how dangerous it can be in some dogs who don't tolerate it. Not every dog will have all, or identical side effects. It nearly killed my dog, and it has in fact killed many, many dogs. Here is one just one article from the web: http://www.doglogic.com/newdrugs.htm

While I realize Dermaxx may NOT to be the Wilbur's problem, it's worth considering seriously to eliminate it. If it is, every pill he swallows is doing more damage.

Guest Adrianne

Wilbur had another good day. After his morning pee-fest, he settled down into his regular routine. No more unusual bathroom breaks, no more shaky leg. It was very cold out this morning (much colder than he's used to), and he had just come through the dog door when the shaking started. He really had to lower his body to get that rod through the door, so maybe it was just exertion on that leg muscle.

Another side effect of Deramaxx is urinary problems, including loss of bladder control. It's sound more and more like Wilbur may be suffering from several of the known side effects of this drug. I encourage you to google Deramaxx side effects and do some research on how dangerous it can be in some dogs who don't tolerate it. Not every dog will have all, or identical side effects. It nearly killed my dog, and it has in fact killed many, many dogs. Here is one just one article from the web: http://www.doglogic.com/newdrugs.htm

While I realize Dermaxx may NOT to be the Wilbur's problem, it's worth considering seriously to eliminate it. If it is, every pill he swallows is doing more damage.

Thank you for this information. He has been off the Deramaxx; the last one he had before tonight was Saturday night. I had decided to put him back on it because he had trouble getting settled tonight and it seemed pretty obvious that his hip and leg were bothering him. If inflammation is what's causing his discomfort, I want to treat that as well as any pain. His bloodwork has looked fine thus far, but we'll be doing a complete workup on him next week.

Thank you again, everyone, for keeping Wilbur in your thoughts. I know I'm biased, but he really is the sweetest dog I've ever known.

Guest Energy11

How is Wilbur doing today? If Deramaxx is effecting him badly, yes, there are other anti-inflammatory meds out there. I'd definitely ask the vet about that, too. How is the excessive peeing today? Were you able to get a urine sample into the vet? Keep us posted! Lots of hugs! Dee

Still thinking of Wilbur and hoping he continues to get better! Come on boy you can do it!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest IrskasMom

Me to...me to... BIG Hugs and many ! How is Wilbur doing today?? Did you by any Chance get an Straight Forward Answer from your Vet?? Keeping my Fingers and everything else crossed for many GOOD Days

Guest Adrianne

Thanks for asking about him. He's doing okay today. He had a rough couple of days, but I think we've got him sorted out. He's now back on antibiotics, but I've taken him off Deramaxx. He's getting Tramadol if needed and a calcium supplement. He threw up all his breakfast yesterday morning right after eating it and hasn't had much of an appetite since. He did just eat a little bit of soup, but he's getting pickier and pickier about his dog food. Doesn't take much to spoil them, does it? lol.gif No peefest today.

My cat, Riley, is still being extra attentive to Wilbur, and he doesn't seem to mind. (Doesn't he look more filled out in this first photo? I think so.)

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

Edited by Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Me to...me to... BIG Hugs and many ! How is Wilbur doing today?? Did you by any Chance get an Straight Forward Answer from your Vet?? Keeping my Fingers and everything else crossed for many GOOD Days

We are seeking care for Wilbur from another vet, whom he will see next week. My vet's course of action was completely unacceptable to me.

Guest Energy11

Love your photos! Tell that Wilbur to EAT, or his "Auntie Dee," will drive over there and talk to him :-))

Hopefully this new vet will have a lot more insight for you!

Guest iseegreyhounds

I know your appt. is Monday, but unless Wilbur becomes much better, quickly, you may need to get him into an E-vet before that. His many symptoms could indicate a number of life threatening issues including kidney/liver damage/failure, and/or gastrointestinal damage. These can all be side effects of the antibiotics he's on, as well as the anti-inflamatory meds. The combo of the two is often a double whammy. I can't believe his vet hasn't taken what's been going on with him seriously. It doesn't sound at all like Wilbur's being picky about eating. This little boy is very, very ill, and barely able to eat. I suspect his leg is the least of his problems right now.

continuing to send more prayers to your sweet, handsome boy, Adrianne! :hope:candle:hope:kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway