Wilbur Is Wasting Away

Guest Adrianne

Guest eaglflyt

Well, the muscle atrophy/wasting is apparent in the picture from this view. His thighs are much less muscled than usual. So, possibly muscle loss due to lack of mobility and stress of trying to heal have caused this weight loss. Hugs to both of you!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the muscle atrophy/wasting is apparent in the picture from this view. His thighs are much less muscled than usual. So, possibly muscle loss due to lack of mobility and stress of trying to heal have caused this weight loss. Hugs to both of you!

I was going to say the same thing; while the atrophy may be distressing, it's not necessarily due to some underlying pathology.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest budsmom

I feel so much for you and Wilbur, I can feel your pain in every post. I hope you get some news from Dr. C or the ortho vet that will at least allow you to make a plan, not knowing is so hard. Hang in there and give that handsome boy a big hug and kiss for mewub.gif

I was going to say the same thing; while the atrophy may be distressing, it's not necessarily due to some underlying pathology.

Ditto. Sending lots of hugs.

Oh, your poor, sweet boy. And he just had his birthday.

You are both in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest EmilyandSioux

Try canned pumpkin pie filling. It is very fattening and doesn't upset their stomach. Sioux was very thin and mis-treated and we used canned pumpkin pie filling and they love it. It puts a lot of weight on fast.

Guest Adrianne

Thank you so much everybody. I feel 100% better tonight than I did this morning. colgate.gif

Let me ask this. Does anybody have any thoughts on the big mound on the side of Wilbur's leg? In the photo, it's just to the left of his rod.

Guest eaglflyt

I'm guessing that could be either a hematoma, swelling from inflammation, or possibly scar tissue. Does it feel hard or soft? Is it warm?

Poor, sweet Wilbur. I wish I had some advice or feedback Adrianne, but I can tell you that I am still sending healing thoughts and BIG hugs to you and Wilbur! As always you are both in my prayers.

Hugs and healing thoughts for sweet Wilbur and to you and your husband. Could the mound be some sort of scar tissue or abscess under the skin? I do wonder if his 20lb. weight loss isn't muscle mass due to being less mobile than usual, especially since he is eating normally and pooping and peeing normally.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Greytluv

So much good advice here. I really have nothing to add.

:kiss2 for Wilbur and you (and DH, of course)

Holding everyone in my prayers :candle

Do you think he could still be missing Macy? That could cause depression too. And I'm sure you're still upset about Macy, so he's reading that sadness in you too.

For food, try the satin "fat" balls recipe to help him gain weight. I don't know the recipe, but google it and it's posted a couple different times. If he's not showing any signs of pain, just depression, then I wouldn't be thinking of the bridge yet.

Are there any other greys around you so you could have a play date....even if he doesn't play, he could have the company of another grey.

Prayers and good wishes to you and Wilbur.

Connie

Guest KelseysLackey

I don't have any suggestions beyond what others have already posted, but Wilbur, you and your DH are in my thoughts.

Guest Adrianne

It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do for your outlook. I'm back in the game today, ready to carry on and do whatever I need to do to get this sweet boy well. Thank you for all the uplifting thoughts. I'm probably the biggest worrier on the planet when it comes to Wilbur.

I think he looks better today--a little more filled out. Is that possible after just one day of high-calorie foods?

I did try to take him for a walk yesterday, but he absolutely refuses to leave the yard. It's his comfort zone. Plus, he gets tired pretty easily. He's been confined to the front yard, because he won't walk across the kitchen to get to go out back. He used the dog door a couple times early in his healing; we caught him coming back in. However, at some point he quit and will not touch the kitchen floor with his back legs. I think I'm going to get a long runner that will go carpet to dog door and see if he'll use it. Getting out in the back yard will expand his world a little bit.

I don't know of any other greyhounds in our immediate area, but I am extending an invitation to anyone on this board: if you are in the Atlanta area and would like to bring your grey over for a visit with Wilbur, let me know.

I'm guessing that could be either a hematoma, swelling from inflammation, or possibly scar tissue. Does it feel hard or soft? Is it warm?

The mound is hard, but not bone-hard, and my vet did draw fluid out of it about three weeks ago. It doesn't show up as anything on xrays, and it hasn't grown or changed shape. Maybe it looks so big to me because of all the weight loss. It's doesn't seem to be painful to him when I touch it or squeeze it, but he won't lay on that side at all. Even if we help him into a lying position on that hip, within two minutes he switches over to his other hip. He would lie on that hip before this came up on the leg, but not now. When we went to the vet the last time, he had to lie on that side for xrays, and after a few minutes, he could not and would not lie still on that side.

Thank you again everybody. And Wilbur thanks you.